Ask the Nurse

If you have a question for our nurses, please post it here or email nurse@bowelcanceruk.org.uk. Typically you will receive a response within 2-4 working days. Please note this is for non-urgent enquiries only. If you are feeling unwell please contact your hospital team or GP.

Posts in this section can only be replied to by the nurses. If you wish other users to respond to your question you will need to post it in another topic on the community as well.

LIDA

Stomach Lining

Hi. Ive just had a Colonoscopy as follow up because my CEA levels are slightly raised . I had my operation in March 2017 plus 4 rounds of Chemo. I had 10 inches of my Colon (right side ) taken away plus 7 inches of my stomach lining. where the tumour had bedded in.
Did this mean I actually had 2 tumours or can the tumour that was bedded in my stomach lining be one and the same i.e. the Colon. Also my CEA levels in June this year were 6 .3 Is this high ? Can the levels go down ?My scans have all been clear but this latest Colonoscopy 2 weeks ago revealed quiet a biggish polyp which the Doctor who was doing the Colonoscopy assured me it was not cancerous, but I am to go in for another Colonoscopy 4th January (Im going on holiday tomorrow) They did want me in before. They will do a biopsy on the polyp. How long will it be before i will get the results ? And my 1st Colonoscopy was excruciating I suppose with the tumour . The one I’ve just had was ok but why could they not have taken the polyp away instead of another Colonoscopy.
Thank You Lida B

Charlotte Nurse Advisor

Dear @LIDA,

Thank you for your post. To take your questions in order:

From what you describe it sounds like your primary bowel tumour had grown through the bowel wall and embedded into the stomach wall. This would mean it was just one tumour but I can't comment further than that with the information I have.
A CEA of 6.3 is above the normal range but is not unduly high. CEA levels can go up and down. When the CEA is raised above the normal value then investigations such as a scan and/or colonoscopy are recommended.
If the polyp is fairly big the doctor would want to make sure that you were adequately prepared to undergo removal of this. Also, it is likely that there was insufficient time on the list to undertake removal of a sizeable polyp so a second appointment is made to ensure that you are properly prepared and the appropriate amount of time is allocated to remove the polyp.

I do hope this has answered your questions but do get back to me if I can help further.

Kindest regards,
Charlotte

LIDA

Thank You Charlotte I go in tomorrow (Friday 4th Jan) for removal of Polyp. It is like a never ending dilemma . I am getting there though.. Thank you for taking the time to answer it helps to know these things had my holiday then Christmas so sorry for delay in answering.I just don’t function as quick as I used to. Lida

LIDA

Hi Charlotte I went in for my colonoscopy Friday 4th Jan Had sedation I am quite confused as the “large polyp” that was seen and photographed on 30th October was no longer there. ??? Can this happen , My endoscopist bought in another endoscopist who administered Buscapan and after almost an hour still could not see a Polyp . They were satisfied to leave it at that , that for some reason the original Polyp had disappeared . They have scheduled me to go back in a year January 2020 I like the thought of no more invasions for a year but am very concerned about where the Polyp is etc . My Bowel preparation with the moviprep was execllent .Lida

Charlotte Nurse Advisor

Dear @LIDA ,

This does sound quite confusing. Polyps do not disappear so either what they saw on the first colonoscopy was mistakenly called a polyp (but if it wasn't a polyp what did they see)? or they missed it on the 2nd colonoscopy although it sounds as if they were very thorough.

My advice would be to discuss this again with the endoscopist to try to get clarification on exactly what they think was seen the first time.

Kindest regards,
Charlotte

LIDA

Thank You Charlotte was not sure if I had got through 1st time. It was a 16 mm sessile surface type IIIS ? It is very clear on photos in the bowel , I have a phone consultation on 31st January. I do remember the Endoscopist saying it was not cancerous that it was benign . When I asked how could he tell that he said and a nurse verified that they just could by just looking at it .Will wait to see what is said on 31st. Lida