General discussion

Bear G

Interesting take on Sugar and cancer

Interesting news that reducing sugar doesn’t directly affect cancer!

The authors state:

There is no proof that starving the body of sugar lowers a person's risk of developing cancer or that it improves the chances of survival should they be diagnosed with the disease.
There is an indirect link between reduced dietary sugar and lower cancer risk that comes through tackling obesity.
High intakes of dietary sugar raise the risk of obesity, which, in turn, raises the risk of cancer.
"A lot of people," says senior study author Leonard W. Seymour, a professor of gene therapies in the university's oncology department, "think that carbohydrates are bad, but that's not the case — we need them, and cutting out sugar won't cure cancer."

www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323857.php

bettebette

Interesting update @Bear G.

I have reduced my Coke Cola intake but really because of the fizziness (and the caramel colouring is bad for asthmatics too 😐) but the rhubarb and custard sweets remain as does the odd cake...

I recently saw posters (in the same vein as smoking warnings)telling of the danger of obesity in regard to cancer, it was the first time I had seen them in a public space (near Heartlands in Birmingham)

I guess that many people with cancer are like me, slim, non smokers, vegetarians etc., it’s difficult to know what to do to help yourself; I try to eat sensibly - fresh food as often as possible and avoid anything ‘ultra processed’ - that’s about it.

Clancy

My oncologist says the same @joval, and he thinks it’s all down to being unlucky. Really interesting this sugar article, I suppose everything in moderation. :x::x:

Bear G

Absolutely @bettebette and @Clancy
That’s the advice I had when diagnosed stage 4 six years ago and it’s certainly worked for me.
Healthy, balanced diet 80% of the time, cakes and the like the other 20% - eating things that make me happy, as my onc put it “otherwise what’s the point of going through all this treatment!

:x::x:

greyhound gal

It does make you think @Bear G. I got told yesterday that I’ll no doubt have to stay on a low fibre diet, so I immediately thought of it as being an excuse to eat bad stuff all the time!
But I’ll just have to purée, blend and make soups, a bit more thinking involved and definitely a multi vitamin in the mix.

Bear G

The low fibre advice does sound like a good excuse to eat naughty foods doesn’t it @greyhound gal ?

I’m sure there must be some good cookbooks for low fibre foods that are yummy! 🤞

Jon-T

I am at a low fibre no fat diet, and when I keep to it is ok.
Jon.

greyhound gal

Oh you are a spoilsport @Bear G 😂

Trünky

When we know that sugar is generally bad for us it’s not too much of a leap, or unreasonable, to think it is involved in cancer.
Just like conventional treatment we are given does not “cure” us of cancer equally reducing/eliminating sugar will not cure us.
The challenge is a multitude of approaches combined to make our bodies hostile to cancer. Reducing refined sugar is just one of these.

Jon-T

Hi @Trünky Where did you see that sugar is generally bad?
Jon.

Tiffany

@Jon-T

I think everybody knows that too much sugar is bad for ones health...cancer or no cancer!

It makes people gain weight and also causes tooth decay.

Tiffany :x:

Trünky

A quick google will pull up lots of articles on the matter both for and against.
Some years ago the “experts” and food industry demonised fats and replaced them with sugar.

If you want to eat sugar go ahead (it’s always calling at me from the cupboard) but a growing number of people whose opinion I trust advocate reducing its intake to as little as possible.

If it helps decay your teeth, contributes to obesity (interestingly metformin is now being used in some people’s treatment for cancer) then I can’t imagine it helps much with a lot else; particularly cancer.

Clancy

Hi everyone, I had chemo today so I am in steroid mode. My personal take is, we have always consumed sugar in our diets, I was brought up on Carnation milk. This may not go down well, but maybe cancer patients themselves contributing. My rationale? We have chemo, thousands of us, and we pee, poo, sick and sweat it out, where does it go? And if it just soaks away somewhere, and people are just breathing in the air and going about their daily business, we all know that chemo compromises the immune system, and cancer is an opportunist. And where does all the radium go?
I haven’t asked my oncologist just in case he thinks the chemo is becoming too much for me.:x::x:

Clancy

The thing that got me thinking about this, when I have a PET scan I have to stay away from expectant mothers and children. Yet I still walk through the hospital to get to my car. Does this apply to radiotherapy patients too?:x::x:

Bear G

Hi @Clancy

I can’t comment on radiotherapy but for the recommendations after a PET scan it’s only for sitting next to children and pregnant ladies for a prolonged period and only for a few hours after the scan. This is because they inject a radioactive tracer into us that is in our bloodstream and active for a few hours, that’s not the case with radiotherapy where the radiation source is outside the body.

For your pervious point about chemo affecting others (am in interpreting your post correctly), you’re right, we do pass chemo out of our systems, but there are two key points that make it safe for others. It’s passed out in relatively diluted amounts compared to what’s given to us, and, there’s something called the Half Life of the drugs, they’re only active as a drug for a matter of hours, so by the time we’re passing it out it’s practically all used up anyway. So please don’t worry about affecting other people.

Regarding sugar, this thread was started more about whether we should cut sugar out of our diets after diagnosis on the theory that sugar feeds cancer, the study and review I posted say that’s not scientifically correct, although they do state clearly that reducing added sugar is a good idea for our health. It all comes under the ‘healthy balanced diet’ approach that I was advised and have followed. (I think we’re saying the same thing differently there @Trünky )

Big hugs
Bear

Clancy

Ahh thanks @Bear G, my Dexamethasone deep thoughts sometimes take me on a tangent. I really wish I had studied/taken extended role as a chemo nurse. I find it fascinating, but wish I didn’t have it. And you are right everything in moderation.:x::x:

HH79

Thank you @Bear G! I needed this after last 24 hours ... cake overdose!!!

Bear G

I like your style @HH79 😂😂

Highkaren

It’s interesting indeed but I never can understand if there is no correlation between cancer and sugar why they give you glucose infusion as part of chemotherapy regime and use something similar as contrast to light up cancer for scans...anyone know the answer ?

Bear G

Hi @Highkaren
I can’t answer that conclusively but I think there’s a difference between linking sugar with cancer occurrence, and using a no-sugar approach to treating it (the ‘starving cancer of sugar’ approach that some books talk about). It’s the latter that’s being talked about in the study and article I posted here.
Not sure if that helps at all?

farahat

all the food we eat turn into glucose form of sugar no matter how much sugar we put in our tea or coffee its controled by pancreas a orgen in our body which control level of sugar to mantan it at proper level unless some is diabetic cancer cell need more sugar that normal cell but they steal it from our body by forming their own blood supply so on the whole if some one is not diabetic taking sugar has no importance -sorry for the spellings