Relatives and friends

travellerword

Sudden operation

My sister has been incredibly sick for the past few days which has been a culmination in the last few months. By today she was throwing up fecal matter due to a bowel blockage which turned out to be bowel cancer. She’s been rushed into surgery now and I’m just so scared for what might happen to her.. any support or advice is welcomed please

Christine

Hello @travellerworld. I have been thinking about you and your sister - and am so pleased progress is being made. I hope you all start the recovery process now and panic recedes. My family is open to share and support in any way you need.
Love to you and your family
Christine :x::x:

helena

Hello @travellerword - great to read that your sister is managing to walk a little bit now and it's small steps in the right direction. I hope you're managing to get a bit of rest now too so that you can build your strength back up as you must be functioning on overdrive as well. I've been thinking about you lots and I'm so relieved to hear that your sister is making good progress. Love, Helena :x::x::x:

Gypsy

Oh that's wonderful to read @travellerword. I'm sending lots of love and healing thoughts to her. She is bound to be scared and that is natural and she has had such an ordeal but please tell her she's doing well. We will all hope and pray that she continues to do well as that is what we all want on here for ourselves and for each other. @helena is right. Time to think about yourself a little now and to make sure that you are dong well too.
Love to you both, Gypsyxx

travellerword

Thank you guys. She is ok and desperate to get out of hospital which the Consultant says can happen on Thursday if all is well.

We got the results back from her resection results and she has T4 bowel cancer with no lymph nodes affected but the doctor isn’t sure if it has affected surrounding vessels because it was very aggressive. Therefore she will begin chemotherapy for about 6 months.

I need your help here as I don’t understand what T4 means - is it merely an indicator of the size of the tumor? And what kind of side effects can she expect from chemo?

Thank you :x::x:

bettebette

Hi @travellerword good to hear that things are looking much better for your sister, also that she is keen to get home - another good sign 😊
The publications available in this site are very good re staging etc, but
I will tag @Bear G here, he will be able to answer your questions.
Very best wishes :x::x:

Bear G

Thanks for the tag @bettebette

Hi @travellerword
T4 basically means that the tumour has broken through the Bowel wall. Other than that it sounds like it’s very good bees, the cancer is locally contained - no lymph node involvement and no spread to other organs. Therefore your sister would be classed as ‘stage 2’.
The fact that her consultant wants to give chemo shows how thorough he’s being for her, he’s playing safe, a sort of ‘belt and braces’ approach. This sounds like a really sensible approach and that your sister will then be able to relax!

You asked about side effects, that does depend what chemo she’s going on, have they mentioned which drugs they’re planning to use? It’s important to note that we all react differently to chemo, some do come through even the most aggressive regimens with hardly any side effects, we can give tips on how to minimise them as much as possible too, just ask away when you know what she’ll be on.

Two big tips:
Try to view chemo as her friend and ally, it’s there to help her and fight for her, she may get some side effects but it’s important to picture all the good things her chemo is doing for her under the surface.
Take it all one step at a time. For now the focus should entirely be on recovering fully from the surgery and building her strength back up so she can make the most of her chemo.

Hope this helps.

Big hugs
Bear
:x::x:

helena

That sounds like positive news @travellerword and it's really encouraging that your sister is keen to get home. I know even the mention of chemotherapy is scary but it is do-able and her medical team will do everything to minimise side effects. I have had chemo on two different occasions and I am the biggest 'woose' ever and I've coped well both times. Best advice I was given was just to take each day as it comes and not try to absorb too much information at once. Baby steps. You've been really courageous, helping your sister at every turn and she is lucky to have such a caring sister. Others will be along I'm sure with better medical knowledge re chemo regimes but I just want to say 👏 for being so supportive for your sister and I hope she gets home safe and sound on Thursday and I'm sure she'll find there's no place like home or her own bed. Love, Helena :x::x::x:

Bridget55

Hi @travellerword. So relieved to read your update as been thinking of you lots. Others have given the appropriate advice. One thing this illness teaches you is to take each step at a time. She's shown true resilience which I'm sure will carry her forward well with the chemo regime. Phew :x:

Lirio345

Good morning @travellerword, so pleased to see that your sister is making a good recovery now. You have all been through a very traumatic experience so please consider reaching out for any counselling support that might be available from your GPS and hospital. Take very good care, Kim :x::x:

Gypsy

It is good news @travellerword and I hope your sister can recuperate well now. She's has already overcome such a lot and she will be ready for 'mop up' chemo when it comes. Most of us on here have had chemo and ready and willing with any tips and advice about it all.
I had it for 6 months too.
Lots of love, Gypsyxxx

Lizalou

That sounds like great news @travellerword

It probably doesn't feel like 'lucky' but it is great that such a nasty tumour, which caused so many issues, hasn't spread.

As the others have said, .....small steps. Concentrate on recovery, building up strength, gaining weight (and emotional strength ) before worrying about chemo (which will be totally manageable after the trauma of the past few weeks)

Don't forget to take some time out for yourself now.....you must be exhausted too. :x::x:

travellerword

Hi everyone, thank you for your messages, I showed your replies to my lastest question to my sister and with them echoing exactly what the consultants and MacMillan nurses have said, I am sure she is feeling more reassured. She came home today and it must feel quite odd for her but she's in her own house and own bed, let's hope she continues to progress well. Thank you especially @Bear G as you really made things more clear for my mother and I, mum was really reassured by reading your message as that was what she was hoping was the case.
Much love :x::x:

helena

That's great news to read @travellerword - I'm absolutely delighted that your sister is safe and sound at home and in her own bed which will be luxury for her. Love, Helena :x::x::x:

KarenE

So pleased your sister is home now @travellerword. There’s nothing like your own bed. :x::x:

Bear G

So pleased she’s home @travellerword and that you’re family is finding this forum a help.
Big hugs
Bear
:x::x:

Gypsy

Such great news that she is home @travellerword. :x::x::x::x::x::x:

Lirio345

That is great news @travellerword, my very best wishes, Kim :x::x:

travellerword

Thank you everyone, she is resting and while she has a long road ahead, she's in the right place. I'm travelling back to the Netherlands tonight as that is where I work, it's really tough to leave at this time and I so wish I didn't have to. One month to go until I can come back for a visit :x::x:

bettebette

Best wishes to your sister @travellerword and good wishes to you too, travel safely both :x::x: