Share your experiences and help shape the services we offer in the future. Click here to take part in our survey today.

Life with bowel cancer

HH

Follow ups

How often do people have their follow ups and what is involved :x:

GD62

Hi @HH

My follow ups are about every six months after I have my CT scan generally, but if I was on chemotherapy then every three months.

Positive healing all :x:

Lizalou

Hi @HH

I think you will find that the answer is....it depends!

I was stage 3, so have 6 month nurse appointments to discuss any issues and a CEA blood test (irrelevant for me).

I was offered a ct scan 1 year, 2 year and 5 year after diagnosis (But managed to get a 3 year scan and a colonoscopy due to minor but worrying problems)

Lexi

@HH My hubby has scans and follow up every 2-3 months Best wishes Jan

steve707

Hi @HH I am the same as @Lizalou 6 monthly check up with Colorectal nurse and CEA blood check, again like Lizalou might be a bit irrelevant as my tea was low when diagnosed. I had a ct scan after chemo and a colonoscopy a year from my operation, then a ct scan at year 1. I will have a scan at year 2 and 3 then year 5. Not sure at the moment if this will change due to a couple of spots on liver which they seem to think are not cancerous but have said they will monitor through scans,

angepange

I was stage 3 but had suspicious activity in lungs was scanned and bloods done every 3 months for 2 years, every 6 months for another 2 years. Colonoscopy at 1 year and 5 years.:x::x:

chris61

Hi @HH. I was stage 3 and have had a follow up with the oncologist every 3 months since completing chemo (last January) and this will go to 6 monthly after March this year. I've been on the Add Aspirin trial since April and this seems to bring about an extra level of monitoring. The colonoscopy I had 12 months after surgery was fine so I was told they would review me in 3 years. But at my last Oncologist appointment in December (when they also review the trial progress) I was told I'd have a routine follow up CT scan in March - but also another colonoscopy as this is required for the Aspirin trial! I'm not complaining (apart from the Moviprep part!!), at least they are keeping good tabs on me.