Share your experiences and help shape the services we offer in the future. Click here to take part in our survey today.

Life with bowel cancer

cyclingjohnny

scans in 4 weeks

hi to everyone,hope you have had as good a time as was possible,just over six weeks since my chemo radiotherapy finished, prior to treatment my loose bowels were put down to ibs,i have now gone back to being completely normal when i go to the loo,my mri and ct scans are being done on 28 jan, i am still praying for a miracle,but i am also preparing myself for surgery as well, i have done 250 miles on the cycle in the last two months,and started doing some abdominal work,just wondered if anyone has any ideas about anything else i can do, or what i should be asking once i meet with surgeon after scans,hope everyone has good luck for 2019. cheers john.

annie50C

Good luck @cyclingjohnny .. as you know I had really good results (complete clinical response) recently as others have with this treatment, so fingers crossed .. so that will be around 10 weeks after when you have the scans?.. main things are, discuss scan results and any other involvement locally or otherwise, shrinkage, blood and CEA levels, position if op needed and any chemo planned if they know at this point prior to potential op. Hopefully great response and then you have another decision ! .. xxx Annie :x::x:

cyclingjohnny

hi annie, thanks for your reply,prior to treatment and at the end of treatment i got the impression off the surgeon and oncologist, that surgery would probably be the best option,how long ago were you given the great news and how are you doing now.

annie50C

Yes, was given the news about 4 weeks ago after a wait of 10-12 weeks after radio finished but then my surgeon at The Christie took biopsies under anaesthetic to have a good look ! with the biopsies to check if any residual cells. I then waited for nearly 2 weeks and got the biopsy results and option of watch and wait if I wanted, nearly 2 weeks ago. So with Xmas it hasn't really sunk completely in! Yes, I think they always say surgery preferred as "gold standard" and the fact that complete response only 10-20% chance of occurring and even then there are risks both ways esp depending on position/ low tumour. There is a lot of work going into watch and wait now with lots of new research results. tough decisions tho as lots to consider as others on the forum have expressed and different approaches depending on circumstances. I do feel very lucky I have had such a good response in any event and continue to feel very well since about 2 weeks into radio and it has remained that way at present ! All symptoms disappeared during radio and after .. how are you feeling ? Xxx Annie :x::x::x: