Ask the Nurse

If you have a question for our nurses, please post it here or email nurse@bowelcanceruk.org.uk. Typically you will receive a response within 2-4 working days. Please note this is for non-urgent enquiries only. If you are feeling unwell please contact your hospital team or GP.

Posts in this section can only be replied to by the nurses. If you wish other users to respond to your question you will need to post it in another topic on the community as well.

Cathy13

Information Please

My husband's diagnosis is T3 N1c EMVI & PNI positive moderately differentiated TRG2 CRM positive with tumour deposit. He has just the results of a post adjuvant chemo CT scan which was NED. There was no mention of the EMVI & PNI . Should these be monitored in anyway. I'm just not sure if he should have had an MRI too. Thank you for any information you can give on this :x::x:

Charlotte Nurse Advisor

Dear @Cathy13,

When cancer cells are detected within the blood vessels, lymph vessels or along nerve fibres this is done by looking at the specimen through a microscope. The cancer cells are microscopic and therefore cannot be seen either with the naked eye or on a scan.

When patients are followed up the scans can only detect if cancerous cells have either regrown locally (local recurrence) or travelled and created secondary deposits elsewhere in organs such as the liver (distant recurrence). It is not possible to detect any microscopic cancerous cells that might be in the blood vessels, lymph system or nerve fibres.

I hope I have managed to explain this clearly but do get back to me if I can help further.

With kindest regards,
Charlotte

Cathy13

Hi Charlotte, that does make a bit more sense. Is there a possibility that the chemo could have killed these cells too? Thanks for your help.
Happy new year to you 🙂 :x::x:

Charlotte Nurse Advisor

Hi @Cathy13,

Yes, the purpose of chemo is to try to kill all cancer cells whether they are detectable or not.

Best wishes,
Charlotte

Cathy13

Brilliant, thank you Charlotte :) :x::x: