Life beyond bowel cancer

Adnyl

Smell

Has anyone else has changes to their sense of smell on chemo?

Mine seems to have become more sensitive. My OH's deodorant had to change as did his shower gel, i couldn't stand their smell. There's a strange smell in the kitchen, I think it's the spice cupboard. I've had to scrub the kitchen down trying to get rid of a smell only I was aware of, same with the utility room 2 days ago. The wc has a smell i can't get rid of too.

The oncologist hadn't heard of this before but it's definately not my imagining and my OH has just started rolling his eyes when I pick up on a new smell.

helena

I'm exactly the same @Adynl - even the hand sanitizer that I bought smells funny. My car smells like 's sausage roll, my normal fabric conditioner smells vile and I can't bear the smell of my partner's aftershave either! The only thing thats smells nice is stepping outside into the fresh air.
I'm glad I'm not alone with this. Helena :x::x:

Linda

Haven’t had that side effect thankfully but my taste buds are shot 😞

Adnyl
Quote from @helena:
I'm exactly the same @Adynl - even the hand sanitizer that I bought smells funny. My car smells like 's sausage roll, my normal fabric conditioner smells vile and I can't bear the smell of my partner's aftershave either! The only thing thats smells nice is stepping outside into the fresh air.
I'm glad I'm not alone with this. Helena

That makes me feel so much better!! I thought it was just me, especially after the oncologist said she'd not heard of it.

The bed is either problem, changing out once a week isn't enough!

Spanner

My better half says her sense of smell is much more acute, we live on the coast by a harbour and she notices the smell of the fishing boats much more. Thats a smell she has never liked anyway.

Rachel

Yes, at last I thought it was just me. I can smell things a lot better now. I did FOLFOX 2017 with the 5FU bottle and then FOLFORI beginning of last year, my god the 5FU smelt like gone off cat food, I had to dab perfume under my nose so I could sleep whilst it was attached. :x::x:

Clancy

@Adnyl,@helena, yes I have this too, everything gets bleached, I keep getting a smell of cardboard. I have asked family and friends if I smell of cardboard. And I also change my bed weekly, I have resisted the urge to change twice a week.:x::x:

Marnypots

It’s interesting how your oncologist have never heard of it when clearly many of you have had this problem
When I was on chemo it affected my eyes badly and I thought they would never be right again however they are fine now ....... My oncologist had never heard of it we should put our own pack together of all the symptoms of chemo

angepange

Oh my god @Adnyl , absolutely, and am shocked your oncologist has never heard of this! My usual perfume made me feel sick, as did a lot of other previously nice smells, and I thought I would never be able to stand the smell again. It was probably a year after chemo before I could wear it again. I think it’s a typical side effect!:x::x:

Polly 1

We definitely know a LOT more than they do!

HappyAtom

I found the change in smell (and some other side effects) were similar to during pregnancy 😀 I couldn’t stand the smell of most food cooking, and I could smell the small kitchen bin the minute I walked in the door. I also lost my taste for a lot of things, including wine☹️ However, that was during chemo radiation, when I was just on Capecitabine I didn’t have quite the same effect.

Polly 1

C's taste changed completely after Folfox - he eats things he wouldn't touch before including vintage strength cheese (only vvv mild before) and sprouts!

Stillme

Hi @Adnyl the smell was horrific, I kept smelling myself and the bed seemed to stink! The worst night was when the 'fresh air' coming through the bedroom window smelt so bad I had to go downstairs and sleep on the sofa!! :x::x:

Adnyl

Wow what a response! My OH had been tolerating my smell and is relieved to hear it's not just me!

The kitchen bin, the water in a vase of flowers, the bedding, towels in the bathroom, deodorant, shower gel, the spice cupboard (seems to be everywhere!). are the smells I've identified so far.

Tastewise ... I've completely gone off rich tomato based foods such as spaghetti Bolognese and coffee too.

Jane39

Hi @Adnyl. I definitely had a high sense of smell when I was on Irinotecan and it drove me mad ! Its subsided since dropping this chemo from my regime :x::x::x:

Clancy

@Adnyl, I have gone off bread, namely toast the ultimate comfort food. Tea and bananas.
I have recently changed my mattress, it was four years old because I was convinced it smelt of cardboard. I think @Jane39 is right, I have only noticed it since being on Irinotecan. I am beginning to wonder if the smell is me.:x::x:

Adnyl

@Jane39 @Clancy I'm on oxaliplatin and capcitabine, maybe it's just a general chemo thing!

lujabuck

It's the hospital soup that was the worst for me. Even typing about it now makes me feel sick!!! Not looking forward to a stay in hospital. I hope one day the association will go as i used to love souo but can't bear it at the moment!
It's off putting when they say they haven't heard of side effects. I wonder if it's just because it's one they can't do anything about. My feet tingling on chemoradio met with a similar response, but I have learnt it is quite common.
All the best

george1960

Hi when my wife uses deodorant or when a house spray goes off i get short breath. But it only lasts a short time. My big bug is taste from 1 st chemo to 2 Nd chemo the tastes have changed again.
1st treatment loved things 2nd treatment hate fish,chicken and porridge.
But as long as it gets the disease and throttles it that's the main thing

Have s great day.
:x::x::x: