Share your experiences and help shape the services we offer in the future. Click here to take part in our survey today.

General Discussion

hazm

Feeling scared first colonoscopy on Monday

Hello feeling scared I have my first ever colonoscopy on Monday
Doing moviprep on Sunday. Not sure what to expect from it all, all I know is I’m 61 with bowel changes I couldn’t ignore hoping it’s nothing but I know I would have not been sent for this test if it was nothing

Chelts

All quite doable and painless. Only slight discomfort is when they manoeuvre the camera around the 3 corners in the colon.

Gypsy

Dear @hazm. I'm totally hoping for the best for you but if it isn't, well, we are all here for you to give support and remember that, won't you, please!! Gypsyxxx

RT54

@hazm a little tip.I was finding it really uncomfortable (bordering on very painful) until I was told it was okay to let rip! They do pump air/water in ,and I was too embarrassed but don,t be!
Once I was given the green light I found the rest of the procedure painless.
I was given gas and air but I wasn,t sure if it was working or not!

angepange

Hi @hazm , the moviprep is horrible, you may need a technique to get it down. The straw method is favoured by a lot, as is chilling, (the drink, not you, though it does help to be relaxed as possible!). My favoured technique has got to be swallowing a small glass full of moviprep then immediately, without breathing through nose, a full glass of lovely cold water. If you only breathe through mouth in between quickly, you don’t get the full strength of the horrible taste. The water, which you are meant to drink at some stage anyway, cleans your mouth and dilutes the disgusting taste. Not as complicated as it sounds!! The procedure is a little uncomfortable at times, but only a little. I have the intravenous sedation but I always feel wide awake so never know if it’s worked or not! You ll be fine. Keep us posted. Lots of love . Angie :x::x::x:

KatieR

I added a drop of orange cordial and didnt mind the taste at all The effects were dramatic but not painful etc I was just a bit chilly sat on the loo for so long !
Cath :x::x:

hazm

Thank you all very much for all your tips and advice. Just about to start taking the moviprep the first dose as I am due at hospital tomorrow at 9am managed to squeeze in a coffee before my deadline lol. :x:

hazm

Well first dose has been taken not as bad as I thought it would be. Drinking lucozade orange to replace fluids. 2nd dose is in the fridge chilling. My only slight concern is bar from going to the toliet more due to the moviprep , is now realising how I am feeling bowel wise at moment is how I have felt most of the time over the last few months, the rumbles needing to go urgently , stools loose not normal a couple of times just making it. I realise now this is not how I should feel. Sorry for going on just feeling a tad low :x:

Gypsy

Hugs @hazm! :x:

DianeS

Hi @hazm so pleased you are coping with the moviprep and best of luck for tomorrow. It’s so hard not to think the worst, but it can be other things not related to cancer. I am 61, and didn’t realise I had diverticulitis, as it had never been diagnosed. Stay strong and positive, fingers crossed for you Diane :x::x:

bettebette

Best wishes for tomorrow @hazm :x:

Baxter2

Hope all goes well for you today @hazm

We're all rooting for you! Let us know how it goes if you can?

Lots of love

Karen💚💛💙❤️💜

hazm

Hello thank you for all your advice and support now back home enjoying a coffee. Results were diverticulitis and colonic polyps,two polyps have been removed one was a sessile 8mm and the other was a pedunculated polyp 13mm both sent for tests and other biopsys samples taken of colon sent as well . However no sign of cancer which is good news. Just to wait for results now which will take about 4 to 5 weeks :x::x::x:

KatieR

@hazm Deep breath and reeeelaaaaxxxxx Its over ,now you know its not as bad as you were expecting The initial results sound very reassuring Keep in touch
Cath :x::x:

Calleyh

So pleased that this turned out well. Your experience will help others coming to this site that it’s not always as bad as you think.

penjay1902

That sounds like good news @hazm. Very pleased for you. :x:

Gypsy

Brilliant @hazm !

hazm

Thanks everyone hopefully results will come back clear , but if polpys have cells that are changing they are gone and thats good. Going to start looking at holidays now for this year and will book at the weekend. This has made me realise life is short enjoy it when you can. I will stick around and support when I can. Thank you again for the support over the weekend and tips you all helped. I wish you all good healing vibes :x::x:

Baxter2

Sounds like pretty positive news for you @hazm

Hope you feel a little more settled over the next few weeks

Lots of love

Karen💚💛💜💙❤️

Adnyl

That's great news @hazm so pleased you got good news :x:

bettebette

That sounds like good news @hazm 😊🌟👍🏻