General discussion

hazm

Feeling scared first colonoscopy on Monday

Hello feeling scared I have my first ever colonoscopy on Monday
Doing moviprep on Sunday. Not sure what to expect from it all, all I know is I’m 61 with bowel changes I couldn’t ignore hoping it’s nothing but I know I would have not been sent for this test if it was nothing

Baxter2

Sounds like pretty positive news for you @hazm

Hope you feel a little more settled over the next few weeks

Lots of love

Karen💚💛💜💙❤️

Adnyl

That's great news @hazm so pleased you got good news :x:

bettebette

That sounds like good news @hazm 😊🌟👍🏻

hazm

Morning not sure why but feeling low this morning. This waiting for results is beginning to pull me down. I know compared to others on here my result from the colonoscopy was good so I feel a bit of a fraud posting on here, however I can not get rid of that little gremlin on my shoulder whispering in my ear that the results may come back on the polyps as not good news . Does not help that my bowels are still playing up. Sorry for the moan but feeling a bit lonely and low

eve66

hazm, I sympathise as I am also in a very similar situation to you . I think the whole stress from going to see GP to eventually being referred on, then waiting for tests and results do take a toll. I too have struggled with my emotions this past week. My review appointment isn't for another three weeks so I've decided to put it to the back of my mind and not let it impinge on my daily life. I have three young grandchildren that I love to spend time with, and the worry is always sitting on my shoulder too, stopping me relaxing and enjoying time with them, so it's got to stop !!! My bowels are still playing up too, no change at all. Take care and maybe try and get a mindfulness app for your phone? I am investigating them and hopefully get one I can relax with ! On a positive note, any changes in the polyps will have been scrutinised and if treatment is needed you will be in the good position of it being caught and acted on in the early stages, which is something to be grateful for.

hazm

@eve66 thank you for your reply. I have headspace on my ipad and phone subscription though my work, just need to try and use it again. I keep telling myself it will be fine but that wee gremlin will not go away. My surgery called during the week to make an appointment with gap to discuss colonoscopy result but I said to leave it until biopsy results are back as it means more time off work. Not sleeping great and trying to work full time travelling to Edinburgh is taking its toll 😞

hazm

Hello well had to go to my GP yesterday,went to work but ended up coming home after breaking down in work and could not stop crying. Turns out I now have a chest infection which is not helping how I am feeling got told in work yesterday that maybe it was time to listen to my body, gp has gave me stuff to try and help the diverticulitis but it is going to be pretty much trial and error to what controls it better. As for colonoscopy results he has said we need to wait for biopsy results to come back on the popys removed then we will know more ,chances being it will be keep being monitored . GP has also taken blood to check for markers for tumors which is a bit concerning but its a matter of wait and see. Hope no one minds me posting this on my original thread, I have noted that a few people have said they have diverticulitis on here wondering if anyone can give any advice or tips on how to control this or any books they can recommend

Dave F

Hi there, I would elect to have the sedation for your colonoscopy, there is very little discomfort with the procedure, then just lie back a and watch it all on the T/v. You should be able to have a sandwich or some toast afterwards (very welcome as well) All the best, and don't worry Hazam.

george1960

We are all scared going through new things we don't like doing but you can do it. After awhile the inhabitions go and you just show people everything and guess what they have seen it all and the noises. So don't worry take one step at A time and think positive. Sending loads of hugs :x::x::x:

eve66

@hazm I think the chest infection has contributed to your feeling weak and unwell. I can totally understand your worry and anxiety, I too am waiting for similar results as you. Strangely, once my surgeon reassured me that the colonoscopy "only showed"(his words) Diverticulitis, I have tried to put it all out of my head until I get my review and the results of the biopsies. At times anxiety does rear it's head, especially at bedtime ! but what can I do, only wait it out until 12th February when I see the Consultant. Regarding Diverticulitis management , I haven't any advice as struggling myself to work it out. Sending gentle hugs and hope once your chest infection clears up you start to feel a bit better.

hazm

@eve66 thanks for getting back to me, I was told results in 4 to 5 weeks its just over 3weeks. I am feeling better now went back to work yesterday. For the diverticulitis i am using Fybogel which so far is helping with the loose stools,making small changes if I get a bad stomach. Gp says it is pretty much trial and error with it. Just want the biopsy results then i can hopefully relax

eve66

@hazm my review is on 12th February when I will get my results, I am assuming ( maybe wrongly ??) that if anything had shown up that was red flagged they wouldn't leave me waiting over five weeks before letting me know . Thinking of you , did you have any luck with information or books about Diverticulitis.

hazm

@eve66 I did find and buy a book about diverticulitis on amazon its called coping with diverticulitis and did give me a insight to it but not much else. I am off work again today going back to the gp as I just dont feel great stomach wise, don’t think the Fybogel is agreeing with me, ended up at hospital on Tuesday night with chest pains thankfully was not my heart they said it maybe acid reflux. Was off work again on Wednesday as told to rest,went to work yesterday had to come home early as back and forward to the toilet. Getting really fed up with it all if I’m honest. Sending hugs to you I know its not easy waiting for results but thinking positive thoughts we will be okay :x:

hazm

@eve66 just to wish you all the best for a positive outcome tomorrow. I contacted my gp surgery today to find out if my colonoscopy biopsy results were back. Got told they were just in and to make a appointment with my gp to discuss the results so will be going tomorrow they did say it was not urgent to make a appointment so I am taking that as positive

hazm

@eve66 Scrap me getting results tomorrow just double checked with surgery my biopsy results are not back yet 😥 seems it was my colonoscopy results they looked at

eve66

@hazm thank you , all went well. I have been as I mentioned before diagnosed with diverticulitis and also microscopic colitis. The surgeon doesn't feel I need any treatment and to " leave well alone" which I am happy to do. My diarrhoea symptoms have settled strangely following the colonoscopy, and I rarely have the six times a day visits to the loo now, compared to previously. Went four times this morning but think nerves played a part there too. I wish you all the best at your follow up and I will keep on checking in here as I have never met a forum that reaches out with such freindship and support and hopefully I can give back a little of what I received.

hazm

@eve66 I got a call today after phoning the hospital my biopsy results are normal for the colon the polyps were classed as low grade dysphasia and are classed as pre cancer but they have been fully removed and hospital is happy for me to be checked again in 5years time for a colonoscopy to keep checking. I have diverticula disease and my colon is narrow and twisted and will need to keep trying different things to try and manage it. I will stay around the forum as well, if anyone reads this thread in the future and are scared please try and remember it is not always bad news. However I am so glad I went and got checked as may have had problems later on :x:

eve66

@hazm that is very reassuring and I hope you feel more settled now. I know it was something you were worried about and the waiting only increases our anxiety ! I am so thankful too to have been thoroughly checked out , and will keep on pushing the message not to ignore symptoms .

Gypsy

So glad for you @hazm!

hazm

@Gypsy thank you for your support :x::x: