Share your experiences and help shape the services we offer in the future. Click here to take part in our survey today.

Stage 4 bowel cancer

melissap

Bassingstoke

Hi, hope everyone's as well as possible!

I was diagnosed with bowel cancer after emergency surgery last April. The surgeon found two small nodules in my peritoniem. Lympth nodes and all organs clear.

After finishing chemo in December at long last today I've finally received by appointment to see Mr Cecil at Bassingstoke on this Wednesday!. I've been waiting for this for so long it seems surreal!

Anyway just wondered people's experience of the initial appointment? Will it be just to discuss the plan going forwards? How long after the initial consultation did people wait for surgery?

My post chemo CT came back clear.. although the nodules in my peritoniem were always too small to be seen on a scan from the outset. Anyone had a similar situation?

Just looking for some advice of what to expect really. Praying that this will be the end of my cancer journey/treatment (at least for a little while) after whatever they decide to do and I can try and get back to living like a normal 25 year old! ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿ™Œ

Melissa :x::x::x:

Baxter2

Hi @melissap

Great to hear you have your appointment! I'm guessing Mr, Cecil will want to discuss the outcome of the MDT meeting and hopefully if he will propose surgery for you. Before I had surgery, I did have to have two liver MRI's and a CT scan before the op. I also had to have a laparoscopy (camera insered into little holes in abdomen to take a look) to ensure they thought I was still operable! Thankfully I was. You can read more in my last post to you and on my profile if you like. I'd say your chances of reaching surgery are very good if the disease is limited to your peritoneum ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿคž

Please let us know how you get on if you can?

Lots of love,

Karen๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™โค๏ธ๐Ÿ’›

mountainwoman

Hi @melissap
Really good you have an appointment at Basingstoke. I had CRS and HIPEC there last year for spread to the ovaries and omentum. I was treated by a different surgeon but I met Mr. Cecil and he seemed very nice and easy to talk to. At my appointment the surgeon had obviously already decided the best course of action and explained the plan to me. I had to wait 6 weeks before surgery as I had been having chemotherapy (this seems standard practise as they want the chemo to be out of your system and white bloods cells etc. to be back to normal before surgery). They did some blood tests and the nurse went through the arrangements for the operation. They also asked my local hospital to do a CT scan nearer to the surgery date. I would say go with an open mind and ask any questions you want. I went thinking they were going to tell me how much more chemo I needed and how much my tumours needed to shrink but they didn't-they wanted to do the surgery asap!
I hope it goes well. Basingstoke are very good at what they do. :)
All the best.