General discussion

1234annie

Sleep.....

I know us folk never get that lovely sleep again after all the crap we've delt with but do you have any tips on staying asleep?? I can't get a doctors appointment till Thursday and I really need to stay asleep all night as I have a 10hr shift tomorrow. I currently go to sleep fine but wake up every night around 3am then don't get back to sleep. I meditate, go to bed at 10pm, don't drink caffine, no alcohol but I just can't stay asleep. Help!! :x: :x: :x: :x:

xSazx

Hi @1234annie. Just wondering how you got on last night? As someone who suffers from insomnia (and I'm not even the patient), I'd love to know what tips and tricks worked for you. :x:

terri m

Hi again @1234annie ... I know you wakj your dogs ect & get exercise during the day, but I find the evenings I dont swim are the evenings I dont sleep well... I go for a swim about half 7 followed by a jacuzzi, & believe me that totally relaxes me.... Maybe worth a try.. :x::x::x::x:

1234annie
Quote from @Hans:
@1234annie I use hops tea - it has a nice taste and gets me off. It is horrid to wake up especially if you have to work. As a thought - are you topped up with vitamins etc especially Vitamin D
Good luck

Yes, taking a multi with minerals too. :x:

1234annie

Well on Monday night I took the nytol at 8pm and was asleep at 9pm!! Had q good sleep but still woke at 4am. I think because I got a block of 7 hours I felt good. Took them again last night and kept waking and struggled to get off to sleep too!! I didn't get back from work till 8pm so think it took a while to wind down. πŸ€” I'm going to ask the GP for something tomorrow. Eve if I just take them a fee nights a week when I'm working. Just can't function otherwise πŸ˜”. Annie :x: :x: :x:

xSazx

Glad you got a solid 7 hrs kip, better than usual eh. Good idea to see the GP. As long as you use them only when necessary then I think sleeping tablets can be a saviour. All the best, Sarah :x:

scruffysheep

Well I tried @KatieR 's suggestion from the TV program and I've now been awake since 3am Tuesday morning I normally sleep from 10 till 1 ish so going to bed at 2am obviously doesn't fit in with my body clock. not sure if I can manage the whole day without nodding off but will give it a go again tonight. However we are going away for the weekend so may have to resort to the zopiclone Thursday night otherwise I'll be like a zombie on Friday πŸ˜‚

Baxter2

@1234annie and @scruffysheep

I only use zoplicline when I need to and my GP advised this was the best way to use it. So far this has been before scan day and on steroid nights. I don't notice any after effects next day either. 🀞🀞I get up bright and early at 7 each day.

Hope you both manage to get the sleep you need

Lots of love

KarenπŸ’šπŸ’›πŸ’œπŸ’™β€οΈ

scruffysheep

@Baxter2 , I usually only use it on steroid days too. Can I ask, what strength do you have is it 3.75 or 7mg ?

My daughter is a PA to the CEO of a small hotel chain and they are opening a new hotel at the end of the month. They have given head office staff a free weekend, all meals included in the hotel to make sure everything is up to scratch. My daughter managed to get 2 rooms so we are joining them, can't use the spar because of the picc but still I want to be awake and with it to enjoy relaxing with family in lovely surroundings.

Baxter2

Awww, thought I was getting an invite there @scruffysheep πŸ˜‰πŸ˜˜πŸ€ž

Sounds awesome! I'm sure you'll have a super time regardless of the spa! It should be blooming standard for all chemo patients to get portacaths to ensure access to these things as well as making daily showers easier! Cancer is bad enough but this could make such a difference for everyone!!!

Anyway, I have the 7mg tabs.

When do you go?

KarenπŸ’šπŸ’›πŸ’œπŸ’™β€οΈ

scruffysheep

@Baxter2 πŸ˜‚ We go Friday and will make a day of the journey over there visiting a national trust property on the way, back home Sunday ready for bloods again on Monday πŸ™„

They do fit portacaths on the NHS at the hospital I'm with, several folk have them but I wasn't offered one and didn't ask, I was so stunned by the cancer returning it didn't occur to me. However if the Folfiri is working and I'm to be on it for any length of time I will ask about having one as I'd love to be able to swim again.

I have a couple of 7mg tablets ( mostly 3.75) so will try taking one of those in the early evening to see if that works as if I take it at usual bedtime I'm knocked out for most of the following day too.
:x::x::x::x:

Baxter2

Well I can certainly recommend a port! They're great! I have bloods Monday too in preparation for wed Folfiri and Cetuximab. Are we on same day then?

Have a great weekend away!

Lots of love

Karen πŸ’šπŸ’›πŸ’œπŸ’™β€οΈ

Karen17

@1234annie. On ITV This Morning today they discussed "superfoods" for 2019 and mentioned Montmorency Cherry Juice Concentrate for insomnia (Holland & Barratt). I haven't heard of it before but might help? Hope you find something that works :x::x:

KatieR

Hello @scruffysheep The idea of the 2 till 6 method is to reset your body clock I have more trouble actually going to sleep than staying asleep but do try relaxation techniques that I remember from maternity classes and they really help I get 14 Zopiclone from my Gp every six months or so and they knock me out very effectively You need to do the 2 till 6 for a couple or three days and then add to your sleeping time until you get a better nights sleep :x:
Cath :x::x:

DianeS

Hi @1234annie so sorry you are not sleeping, and lots of people have offered various remedies. I’m a great yoga fan, and the breathing techniques have helped me amazingly during cancer treatment etc. I’m a naturally anxious person but have watched how I can lower my blood pressure just by breathing. When I can’t sleep Or I’m going in a scanner I use my breathing to help, and it always works. I even fell asleep in the scanner on Tuesday, which is amazing for me. Reflexology is also good. I’m a 100% believer in relaxation remedies. I feel thaAt my body has had enough medication, so will try anything natural. Really hope you find something that will help. Love Diane :x::x::x::x::x:

scruffysheep

Yes @Baxter2 bloods Monday and Folfiri Wednesday but I'm KRAS mutant so no Cetuximab for me πŸ™ I've got a CT scan on Thursday to see if the Folfiri has shrunk any of the mets, hopefully it will have then we'll see where I go next.
The A&E nearest to the hotel we are going to is Baisingstoke, so wondering if I can turn up there and wangle an appointment πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Valerie :x:

Baxter2

Ahh, I see @scruffysheep. Let's hope for the very best news following your scan on Thursday!! 🀞🀞🀞 Lol at Basingstoke drop in! Worth a bash! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

1234annie
Quote from @Karen17:
@1234annie. On ITV This Morning today they discussed "superfoods" for 2019 and mentioned Montmorency Cherry Juice Concentrate for insomnia (Holland & Barratt). I haven't heard of it before but might help? Hope you find something that works

That sounds interesting @Karen17!! I'm into super food will do some research. :x:

Hans

@1234annie how is it going?? After a bit of research - there are several herbal meds that can help sleep; I only thought there was Hops (tea) - but also Passion Flowers and Valerian. Valerian is in Nytol - I find this very effective but takes a few days to kick in. I was given Mirtazipine last year - but found it very strong and left me tired in the day. It can be difficult to get off and I found that I had to reduce over three months to get off completely. I only was on it two months. I much prefer natural things as well and if Cherry Juice does it - then great.
All the best
Hans :x::x::x::x:

1234annie

Hi @Hans ,
I got sone sleeping tablets in the end. They were only 5mg and I took 1/2 last night and still woke so I think I need a whole one. After cancer i don't worry about taking drugs as there's nothing more toxic than chemo πŸ˜„ Thanks for asking, hope things are well with you. Annie :x:

george1960

Take your meds 30mins before you go to bed and no drinks for about 3 hours before i also take CBD oil when not on any treatment not saying it's right. On treatment at the moment plus flu and my sleep is awful.

:x::x::x: