Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

SH39

FOLFOX Dose Reduction

Evening all.
I am currently undergoing neoadjuvant chemotherapy (prior to radiotherapy and surgery, well that’s the current plan depending on scans). I am having 6 cycles and completed cycle 5 today. One to go. Before today’s cycle I was told that the oxaliplatin dose was being reduced by 50% due to results of Fridays blood tests, liver function to be precise (which I assume were ALT levels) which was 191, last time it was 17. Is this a common thing with FOLFOX and can it affect liver function? Just worried the treatment isn’t being effective or won’t be as effective with this lower dose! Thanks for your help all. All the best

Bear G

Hi @SH39
You’re almost there with your chemo.
Please don’t worry about the change, dose reductions are a routine part of cancer care. Generally they try to start with a high dose then reduce when needed, I’ve had lots of dose reductions!
Fingers crossed for the last cycle.
Big hugs
Bear
:x::x:

DianeS

Hi @SH39 I re-iterate what @Bear G has said. I had 12 cycles of Folfox with two reductions, and this is very normal. Great news that you have one cycle left, it’s a lovely feeling when you get to the end. Love Diane :x::x:

Salgal

Hi @SH39 I too am on Folfox, 12 cycles but they stopped my Oxy at session 5 due to side effects so the last 4 have been the pump only and that was reduced to 80% last cycle due to side effects again, and I too did worry about the effectiveness but as Bear G has said your body has to cope well with the dosage if not then has to be tailored to what t can cope well with. Great news you have almost finished, I cannot wait :x::x:

ch7091

Hi, I was told to expect a dose reduction on Folfox as it was the norm. In fact, they were surprised I didn't have one. Given my time again, I would appreciate a dose reduction as my neuropathy (which only developed post chemo) is so bad. I cant write or even do my own bra up anymore, so I had to ask the radiographer to do it for me after my scan today 😂. Definitely don't be afraid of a dose reduction if you need it.

Jodie :x::x:

SH39

Evening. Thank you for your helpful and reassuring comments. Thank you again

Jomo9

Hi @SH39 I am on FOLFOX as well. Thanks for the post, it’s reassuring to know other people are in the same situation. On my last chemo (3/9 this time) I had no Oxaliplatin due to a reaction straight after number 2 (hands, heat flush and lisp). Am back on it this week but at a lower dosage and slower infusion rate as I had hardly any side effects with just the pump. They are going to keep me on Oxy until session 8ish but may gradually reduce it. This will help me have my leaky stoma reversed slightly earlier so am quite happy with the plan!

1234annie
Quote from @ch7091:
Hi, I was told to expect a dose reduction on Folfox as it was the norm. In fact, they were surprised I didn't have one. Given my time again, I would appreciate a dose reduction as my neuropathy (which only developed post chemo) is so bad. I cant write or even do my own bra up anymore, so I had to ask the radiographer to do it for me after my scan today 😂. Definitely don't be afraid of a dose reduction if you need it.

Jodie

My hands were like that Jodie and I thought they would never heal but have. I couldn't even hold cutlery it was so painful. :x:

1234annie

I had 12 planned sessions of Folfox but only managed 8 and then a further 3 just the pump. My neuropathy was bad, my nails went green and I was basically on fire on the inside. My hands blistered and peeled in the end..... I had does reductions too and this was all my body was going to take. They stopped the very last session due to my hands being on fire!! You are nearly there!! X xc