Share your experiences and help shape the services we offer in the future. Click here to take part in our survey today.

Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

TonyR

Filling Defect

Hi all,
I’ve just had a letter from my surgeon following a CT scan. He says that there is a filling defect in the pipe of the bowel in the area where the small and large bowels were joined back together. As my cancer was in the small bowel I haven’t had a colonoscopy since diagnosis 3 1/2 years ago. The surgeon thinks it would be foolish to not double check the area and has booked me a colonoscopy.
Does anybody have any experience of a filling defect??
Tony :x:

bettebette

Hello @TonyR I am afraid I can’t help you with this, but have you tried typing the term into the search facility at the top?

I hope you have a good result from the colonoscopy (your surgeon sounds very through) Best wishes 🙂

TonyR

Hi @bettebette Thanks for your message, I’ve just tried searching but it appears as though I’m the only one with it 😂 I’m not looking forward to the lovely drink prior to the colonoscopy 🥵

Lawsey

Hi @TonyR
A PET scan revealed I had a high uptake area adjacent to the anastomosis e.g. the join in respect of original resection - the decision was surgery and a tumour was removed
It is probably not helpful of me to say but it surely would not be uncommon if cancer was to re-occur for it to be in the same place e.g. development of cells invisible to the human eye
I have never hear the term filling defect - but everyone's cancer and everyone's surgeon is unique. Will they also take a biopsy during the colonoscopy - oh dear more waiting and worrying for you
Why can't life simply be endless joy

TonyR

Hi @Lawsey Thanks for your message. My surgeon thinks that it’s just bowel content but is doing a colonoscopy as I haven’t had one for so long as my cancer was in my small bowel. It’s strange though as about 18 months ago a ct scan showed what they initially thought was slight thickening to the walls of my small bowel. Following the MDT meeting they put that down to food residue too.
Forgive my ignorance but what is a high uptake area?
You’re right, all we ever seem to do is wait and worry!! 🤨
Thanks again,
Tony

Lawsey

Hi @TonyR
high uptake is a PET scan where put very simplistically may be showing cancerous cell activity - so if you looked at the screen would show a different colour - so if you had an oblong shaped tumour on your liver there may be an oblong yellow shape on the screen
That has been my understanding and experience.
I would want it thoroughly checked out

bettebette

Hi @TonyR it seems sensible to check it out, that you had ‘food residue’ previously and your surgeon thinks it’s bowel content sounds optimistic doesn’t it 🤞

TonyR

It certainly does, I’m just not sure what a filling defect is 😂

Bear G

Hi @TonyR and @Lawsey

Recurrence can happen at the join (anastamosis) but it isn’t something I’ve heard often on here. After all, they aim for ‘clear margins’, that’s taking out lots more of the Bowel to be sure they’re not leaving cancer cells behind.

Tony, could I suggest posting in Ask The Nurse to see if they can give more info on filling defects in this context?

It’s good they’re doing a scope to check things out.

:x::x:

TonyR

Thanks @Bear G I’ll do that. The surgeon got clear margins when he operated on me 👍

TonyR

Thanks @bettebette I didn’t see your latest reply earlier. I guess that the colonoscopy will show what the problem is. Thank you.

DianeS

Hi @TonyR I think it’s difficult and a bit dangerous for patients to try and understand terminology used by surgeons and oncologists. Are you able to call your surgeon or the secretary for them to explain it to you. So pleased they have followed it up with a colonoscopy, but a shame they haven’t explained in better detail so that you don’t worry. I hope all goes well for you, love Diane :x:

TonyR

Hi @DianeS I’m not over thinking it, the surgeon seems fairly confident that what is showing is bowel content but he’s asked for a colonoscopy to be on the safe side. I don’t have them as part of my surveillance as my cancer was in my small bowel. Thanks for your message 😃