Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

Lizalou

Interesting @GROBER . It works for me.....putting in my details, I end up with a low risk, and I agree that I am lucky to have so few problems.

Of course, we don't really have a choice, but perhaps much more help could be directed towards those with most chance of having problems. I suspect that most of us haven't any idea what is normal and don't know whether to suffer in silence or ask for help.

KittyMac

Interesting. Worked for me too - Major LARS predicted, which is exactly what I have.
However, I knew because of my particular surgery that I would be at risk.
I raised my apprehensions with my CR and Stoma Nurses prior to my stoma reversal and was told to stop googling!

GROBER

I agree that for most its a no-win situation- the operation is inevitable- where it might be useful is when the patient and physician are faced with the tricky decision whether to opt for an anastimosis +/- temporary stoma or a permanent colostomy for the best quality of life post surgery.

GROBER

dup post

Lizalou

I've just been playing with this @GROBER . Fascinating! Pre op radiotherapy seems to be what tips it over from minor to major (but I assumed that the radiotherapy was to make the op itself more successful) Also, surprisingly, older age gives a better outcome!

It is sad that so many struggle hugely when an nice neat colostomy would be easy. Is a colostomy seen as a failure by surgeons?

KittyMac

I'd rather have the LARS than a stoma any day to be frank.

GROBER

I'm not sure why anastimosis seems to be more popular than a colostomy nowadays but apparently both can come with a slightly different set of disadvantages. Aesthetically the anastimosis would appear to win hands down but with major LARS , functionality post op may be more in dispute? :-/ Surgically speaking I imagine that better designs of surgical circular staplers has permitted reliable anastimosis to be carried out far deeper into the pelvic cavity than was once possible. To be honest I can't give a definitive answer to your question @Lizalou Perhaps someone else can direct us to a review article on the subject?