Share your top tops on diet + lifestyle for our new booklet.
Find out more here.

Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

strongsami

Ready to jump on the train!

So my treatment train journey begins tomorrow!

I have 2 months of neo adjuvant chemo before the next stage (chemo - rad then op).

I’m nervous but also excited to get started. I still don’t know which drugs they have decided to give me - I’ll find out tomorrow - and I’m not sure what to expect. People have told me I’ll provably be there for a few hours so am planning to take a book and music maybe snacks?

My symptoms have intensified a bit - I feel a lot of pressure on my lower back - coccyx area - it gets worse as the day goes on then nothing when I get up in the morning. My anxiety says it’s in my bones but nothing showed up on scans so I know I’m being silly.

I’m just looking forward to the chemo going in and starting to zap that alien!!!

Any advice for tomorrow greatly appreciated!

Jomo9

Best of luck with everything. I called my alien ‘Piglet’ as he was getting evicted from Pooh Corner! :x::x:

SH39

I get a strange scratch at the back of the throat when drinking anything cold. It does pass, so don’t worry

Salgal

You go girl @strongsami 💪💪💪💪 love your attitude, wishing all the best as you start your treatment hugs Sal :x::x:

annie50C

@strongsami .. here's to it retreating fast and the white flag appearing .. 😁 Onwards, you can do this ! Xxx thinking of you xxx Annie :x::x::x:

Lirio345

This is totally doable @strongsami, if you are worried about any side effects call your chemo helpline, - that is what they are for. Chemo is your ally and therefore on your side! Stay in touch and take very good care, Kim :x::x:

strongsami

I love you all!
Thank you @cyclingjohnny @Jomo9 @SH39 @Salgal @annie50C and @Lirio345

Today I feel ok a bit sleepy but nothing major. The words of the "doom and gloom" oncologist were getting me down this morning but I called the macmillan helpline and had a little cry then decided to go for a run and feeling much better.

Now drinking my vegetable juice for extra goodness and lots of turmeric to give the alien another little kick in the butt!

:x::x::x::x::x:

strongsami
Quote from @SH39:
I get a strange scratch at the back of the throat when drinking anything cold. It does pass, so don’t worry

Exactly what I feel. I read somewhere that swishing the water around in your mouth first helps a bit... it's nothing too bad though.

cyclingjohnny

Hi strongsami ninety percent dark chocolate is meant to be good for kicking alien butt, all the best. John

helena

The alien won't be liking Mr Capcetabine and Mrs Healthy Juice-Turmeric's onslaught this morning; I reckon it wishes it had invaded elsewhere and will be planning it's retreat already. Good on you @strongsami 💪🔜💀👣👋

SH39

I find that helps or adding a little warm water to drinks or just drinking warm drinks. You get used to it. Tingling lips as well I find! Hopefully it’s not too cold where you are

Quote from @strongsami:
Exactly what I feel. I read somewhere that swishing the water around in your mouth first helps a bit... it's nothing too bad though.

steve707

A tad late, just want to wish you well @strongsami.

strongsami
Quote from @cyclingjohnny:
Hi strongsami ninety percent dark chocolate is meant to be good for kicking alien butt, all the best. John

Thank you @cyclingjohnny I will have to get me some!

strongsami
Quote from @helena:
The alien won't be liking Mr Capcetabine and Mrs Healthy Juice-Turmeric's onslaught this morning; I reckon it wishes it had invaded elsewhere and will be planning it's retreat already. Good on you @strongsami 💪🔜💀👣👋

Hopefully he's quaking in his boots and started his retreat! Thank you @helena
:x::x::x:

Baxter2

For some reason, I seem to have missed your post and thread @strongsami ......sorry! 🥴

I love your attitude and so glad to read you now have one chemo under your belt!! Don't listen to Dr. Doom and gloom, many of us have met similar oncologists on our travels! You've got this!

Lots of love

Karen💚💛💜💙❤️

strongsami

Thank you so much Karen @Baxter2 xxxx

Quote from @Baxter2:
For some reason, I seem to have missed your post and thread @strongsami ......sorry! 🥴

I love your attitude and so glad to read you now have one chemo under your belt!! Don't listen to Dr. Doom and gloom, many of us have met similar oncologists on our travels! You've got this!

Lots of love

Karen💚💛💜💙❤️

Rob Richardson

Hi @strongsami, loving your attitude towards this. I'm feeling similar, starting chemo next week, and since diagnosis I've felt like a substitute on the bench itching to get amongst it and kick this buggers arse. Just had Hickman put in today and named it Harry, as I'm gonna be spending at least the next 6 month with him, and he's me wingman to get my chemo in to blasty the nasty. I too had lower back pain prior to my opp, and never made the link between the two until you mentioned it. I thought I was just wear and tear from work. All the best to you in treatment, you blast that alien back to where it come from! 😊

strongsami

Thanks @Rob Richardson :)

I completely understand what you’re describing - chemo is our friend!!

I think my back pain is also related to pressure when I can’t erm “go” ;)

Alien, you are the weakest link, goodbye!

Best of luck with your treatment and Harry ;) xx

Quote from @Rob Richardson:
Hi @strongsami, loving your attitude towards this. I'm feeling similar, starting chemo next week, and since diagnosis I've felt like a substitute on the bench itching to get amongst it and kick this buggers arse. Just had Hickman put in today and named it Harry, as I'm gonna be spending at least the next 6 month with him, and he's me wingman to get my chemo in to blasty the nasty. I too had lower back pain prior to my opp, and never made the link between the two until you mentioned it. I thought I was just wear and tear from work. All the best to you in treatment, you blast that alien back to where it come from! 😊

EssexDan
Quote from @helena:
Well done @strongsami - the first round is always the scariest so take time to pamper yourself and look after you. I'll bet those little blighter alien cells got quite a scare when they saw the chemo rushing towards them so they'll be quaking in their boots and foxtrotting oscar . They won't like the Capcetabine either so their invasion will be defeated! Hugs, Helena

Thats a great reply! Love it.

helena

Thank you @EssexDan :x: