Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

helena

Nosebleeds with Folfiri

I wonder if any other forumites have experienced nosebleeds whilst on Folfiri with Aflibercept? I've been experiencing slight nosebleeds and headaches for the past 4 days so I phoned the cancer helpline, who then phoned my oncology suite, who then phoned me back and who are now going to try to get me an appointment with my GP to check out my blood pressure. I'm waiting for a call back from clinical nurse. As usual, my mind has gone into meltdown and although they did warn me about high blood pressure, it was checked on Monday by the district nurses who said it was ok at 174 over ?? . I would be interested to know if anyone else has had nosebleeds? Thanks, Helena :x::x::x:

helena

Thanks @Rachel and @scruffysheep. My doctors surgery has called me back now and I've got an appointment with a doctor this afternoon as the clinical nurse thought my blood pressure should be checked out as that is apparently one of the side effects of Aflibercept. I feel a bit better now that I know I'm getting checked but I'm such a worry wart. I wish I could change that as it's really ruining my state of mind. Thank very much for replying though as it eases my mind a bit to know others have encountered the same. 😍 :x::x::x:

scruffysheep

@helena Glad you're being seen and feel happier now.

They run ( excuse the pun) in our family my dad, and both my children have had to have the blood vessels cauterised on several occasions over the yrs. My son had some spectacular nose bleeds when at primary school, one resulting in a blood transfusion. We were so glad the ambulance station backed on to his school as he had several blue flashing light trips to A&E with them.
Not trying to scare you at all πŸ˜‚

helena

Gosh @scruffysheep - I can't imagine what it must be like to be blue lighted with a nosebleed! I've been fortunate that I've never ever had a nosebleed..... until now 😲 I've been reading your bio and it looks as if you and I are in similar situations and I hope your chemo is going well? :x::x::x:

Bridget55

Hi @helena. I had lots of nosebleeds on ironetecan. Hope you get it checked out so can ease anxiety. Think it's a fairly common side effect..:x:

Polly68

@helena I has nose bleeds on FOLFIRI, they would just happen randomly but would stop quite quickly. It’s weak vessels and they’re right near the surface :x::x:

helena

Thanks @Bridget55 and @Polly68 - it's good to know that I'm not alone as I hadn't heard of anyone having these side effects. I've been having various different side effects this time (including headaches, slight nausea, tiredness and loss of appetite) and I'm feeling just generally 'wabbit' - I've been googling (bad mistake) and I've just realised that I'm quite possibly dehydrated too as I haven't been drinking enough water. Did you have any of those symptoms too? :x::x::x:

Clancy

Hi @ Helena, I have had nose bleeds on Irinotecan, although I had more on Oxaliplatin, usually in the cold weather. :x::x:

Baxter2

Hi @helena

I reckon nosebleeds and sore scabby noses at times are par for the course with Folfiri and Cetuximab as I've had these issues throughout and just accepted them as common and harmless side effects. Certainly your blood pressure needs checked if high BP is a side effect of Aflibercept. I hope by now you've seen your GP and all is well!

Lots of love

KarenπŸ’šπŸ’›πŸ’œπŸ’™β€οΈ

Scardycat

I had them when oxy, they were a sign that my platelets were low

helena

Thanks @Clancy and @Baxter2 - I didn't realise it was a normal side effect and went into panic mode, specially with the headaches too. I saw a doctor this afternoon and he's given me a cream called Naseptin to apply 4 times a day to help. It also turns out that I've been dehydrated as I've haven't been drinking enough water.......... this accounts for all the strange symptoms I've been having after the last round of chemo. I've been
drinking 300 ml of water every hour since last night and I'm definately feeling brighter. What a learning curve this chemo is.
Thanks for your advice, I probably should have asked on here before I phoned the helplineπŸ˜• I don't know where I would be without you all πŸ’“πŸ’“πŸ’“

helena

Thanks @Scardycat - I didn't have any issues when I was on Capox but I guess we're all different, did you have Folfox or Capox? :x::x::x:

Scardycat

Folfox

DianeS

Hi @helena I had them while I was in Folfox, and as @Scardycat has advised it was when my platelets were low. Pleased you have seen your GP. I do think it’s best to always get these things checked out, as we are all different and what affects one person may not affect another. Good luck going forward. Love Diane :x::x::x::x:

helena

Thanks @DianeS - the doctor wanted to do a blood test today but he wasn't too keen on interfering with my Picc line and as I'm having blood taken next Monday before chemo on Wednesday he thought it would be okay to wait till then to check blood. I really hope my platelets are okay as I can't bear the thought of postponing chemo. πŸ˜” sometimes the merry-go-round of chemo feels like a safe place to be and I don't want to get off it, even temporarily . Thanks all for your input - I'll keep you posted. :x::x::x:

Elisa76

@helena
My husband had 2 cycles of FOLFIRI and he had one episode of nose bleeding : however he has blood clots in his legs and he takes anticoagulant injection to thinner his blood so the oncology nurse said that this explains what happened.
It happened only once.

DianeS

Aaaah good luck @helena. I know what you mean, I had a few postponements, and I know it’s disappointing if it’s cancelled. Best of luck for your blood test on Monday, hope all is ok so you can have your chemo as planned. I was advised to eat oily fish to stabilise the platelets. Not sure if it worked or not, but I did do it. Love D :x::x::x::x::x:

helena

Thanks @Elisa76and @DianeS - I've just read your bio Eliza and i hope your husband is making good progress and you're so right, this forum is a godsend to patients and relatives alike. I've learnt more from being on here than I've ever learnt from my oncologist and he doesn't like me questioning his decisions - at one point he actually said that he thought I was getting a second opinion from another oncologist........ knowledge is definately power.
I'll try some oily fish @DianeS - everything is worth a try, thanks for the tip. :x::x::x:

1234annie

@helena my nose would just run with blood. It did worry my but I just got used to it. It's still a bit bloody now when I blow it and I've been off chemo a year. :x:

helena

Thanks @1234annie - the doctor gave me cream yesterday and thats really helped but I did find it worrying but seeing that a few others have experienced the same has put my mind at ease so it's maybe something I'll just have to learn to live with? I'm glad to read on your bio that your chemo was successful - makes it all worthwhile πŸ‘πŸ‘ :x::x::x:

1234annie

They was folfox @helena that made my nose bleed. Up till then I'd never had a nose bleed in my life. I see you were an a&e admission like me too!! :x: