General discussion

eve66

First Colonoscopy. Very anxious

Good morning I’m due to have first colonoscopy tomorrow afternoon. Have had IBS all my adult life but just last month experienced rectal bleeding so GP booked me in to be seen at the outpatient department. Saw surgeon and he felt needed investigations. Hence tomorrow procedure.

I haven’t slept all week I’m so anxious and now I’m exhausted too.

Dreading taking the movieprep but know I have to put on my big girl pants ( literally) and get on with it.

Any advice or tips on how you managed greatly appreciated. Just joined so trying to find my way around. So far the posts I’ve read have been so helpful and the kindness of all the forum members humbling and amazing .

mops

Hi @eve66 .., I experienced moviprep 3 times in 6 weeks.., I found that once the 'movi' started I preferred to make myself comfy in my bedroom (near the bathroom) with magazines and DVDs, I needed the moviprep to be really cold and drunk it through a straw., I rewarded myself with a Callippo after I finished each concoction! Hope you're ok :x::x::x:

eve66

Thank you mops. Very kind of you to reply. I will put it into the fridge an hour before hand. Could I ask. It says on the information leaflet to start at 7 pm Could I start it but earlier so I can get it over with ?? 2nd dose tomorrow morning at 6 ! Think I’m dreading this more as I’m not great first thing at best of times never mind having to drink this !

eve66

Ps what’s calliopo? Is it ice lolly ??

Lizalou

Hello @eve66
Yes, calippos are ice lollies. You need something strong and sharp tasting, I found lime juice cordial was ideal but it is not being sold at the moment.

I would advise following the instructions (if you can) just so that you can't be blamed if there are problems. Having said that, too early would be better than too late. Expect to spend tomorrow morning in the loo or resting nearby. ...it makes me a bit headachy and weak.

Honestly, it is not too bad at all. And the test itself is fine if you go for all the offered sedation and pain relief. Hoping for a nice straightforward result for you.

hazm

Hello @eve66

I had my first ever colonoscopy on Monday and I can only echo what advice has been given already. Please try to relax its not as bad as you fear. :x::x:

DianeS

Hi @eve66 So sorry to hear you are having to have a colonoscopy. I have always been very scared of hospitals and procedures. I can honestly and truly say I have had a few colonoscopies now, and haven’t remembered any of them. I did ask if I could stay awake for the last one, and apparently I was chatting g all the way through it, but I thought I had been asleep. So please don’t worry about the procedure. The moviprep taste didn’t bother me, but I got fed up drinking the volume. I did add cordial to it, and had it very cold, which definitely helped. Wishing you the very best of luck for your results, Diane :x::x::x::x:

eve66

Thank you Diane. First litre of moviprep completed. Working as expected !! I chilled it in the fridge and just added little drop of juice to make it more palatable. Not as bad as I was anticipating but as you say it’s the volume more than the actual drink. Fingers crossed it’s worn off by bedtime as I have to take the rest at 6 in the morning so need some rest. Unfortunately my appointment isn’t until 4 so a long day !!

mops

Hi again @eve66 .., well done 1 litre down! Like others have said it's best to stick to the instructions.., by the way my local hospital give you a sandwich and a tea or coffee after the procedure but I'm nor sure if this is the case at every hospital, I was still hungry though and went to the nearest Macdonalds (which I never go to!) for a Maccy d breakfast.., it was about 4 minutes after 10.30am so they were no longer serving breakfast.., I was on the verge of tears 😭🥞🥓!! It may be a good idea to bring something nice to eat or plan to pick something nice up on the way home, sending love :x::x::x:

eve66

Thank you so much @mops hope I did the @ correctly ! Just going to bed now as I’m pooped ( scuse the pun !). My appointment is3:30 and they said I should be ready to leave around 5 so a nice meal sounds perfect afterwards ! I can’t thank you and all the others who replied to me enough for such reassuring and sound advice. I am so grateful.

scruffysheep

@Lizalou our local Sainsbury's had roses lime juice cordial before Christmas and I always have Sainsbury's own brand, not quite as sharp but sugar free. It's my go to drink, (along with Belvoir ginger cordial )

mops

Hi @eve66 ., yes you did get the @ correct., I hope that everything went ok today :x::x::x:

eve66

Thank you @mops. All went well. Staff amazing. Diagnosed with diverticulitis. Biopsy taken. Will get results four weeks. Just home and having another cup of tea !! Thank you and to everyone else who replied to my post. I am so grateful to you all.

Meant to say colonoscopy went very well. Over in a flash though have to say despite me following prep instructions to the letter and nothing coming out by time I was leaving for appointment there was a little poop still left behind! I was mortified but consultant said it wasn’t a problem as rest was “ squeaky clean “!

Lizalou

Brilliant result @eve66! Hope the biopsy is fine and that you can get to grips with the diverticulitis. Enjoy a relaxing weekend :x:

mops

That's great news @eve66 ., I've had some embarrassing times 😳but I have been assured they have seen everything so don't worry about the little bit! All the best for the biopsy, :x::x::x:

eve66

Thank you again @Lizalou and @mops plus everyone else who were so supportive. I really appreciated each and every one of you .

helena

So glad that it's 'behind' you now @eve66 and hope you enjoyed your dinner tonight 👏👏

hazm

@eve66 delighted to read it went well for you. I was the same on Monday was told I had diverticulitis and i also had a small amount of poo hiding in a pocket. I had two polyps removed and I am also waiting for results. This forum was a life line for me last weekend so I know how you are feeling. 😘

eve66

Thank you @helena and @hazm your support made a very stressful situation that bit more bearable. I think this forum is amazing. The support and advice from all the members is given with such love and grace. It's what got me through the last few days . I wish everyone on the forum continuing good health and I will be happy to be of help to anyone who needs it .