Ask the Nurse

If you have a question for our nurses, please post it here or email nurse@bowelcanceruk.org.uk. Typically you will receive a response within 2-4 working days. Please note this is for non-urgent enquiries only. If you are feeling unwell please contact your hospital team or GP.

Posts in this section can only be replied to by the nurses. If you wish other users to respond to your question you will need to post it in another topic on the community as well.

TeaBag

Colon cancer and burst appendix

Is there any link between a burst appendix and colon cancer. I had a ruptured appendix in Aug 17 and sepsis following that - I was very ill for months but recovered by Dec 17/Jan 18 and then in July 18 I was diagonsed with Bowel cancer in the ascending colon and had emergency surgery to remove a tumour in my ascending colon (the area just above where the appendix used to be). I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else or could there be a connection? It seems very likely to me.

Charlotte Nurse Advisor

Dear @TeaBag,

Thank you for your post.

If the results of the appendicectomy was just sepsis and inflammation there is no link between that and formation of a bowel cancer. It would just be coincidental.

Kindest regards,
Charlotte