Ask the Nurse

If you have a question for our nurses, please post it here or email nurse@bowelcanceruk.org.uk. Typically you will receive a response within 2-4 working days. Please note this is for non-urgent enquiries only. If you are feeling unwell please contact your hospital team or GP.

Posts in this section can only be replied to by the nurses. If you wish other users to respond to your question you will need to post it in another topic on the community as well.

ilovepugs

Blood in stool - scared!

Hello. A month ago i've felt terrible abdominal pain - i went to the ER and it got confirmed as gas. Took some medicine for it, all was well. A week or so later the same thing happened, this time i toughed it out because i knew it was just gas.

I haven't felt that pain since, but i've been constipated for a week now, having a laxative in between. Today i finally felt bowel movement! Went to the bathroom, had a hard time passing stool (small, hard pellets), but the thing that scared me - and prompted me to seek advice, is that there was a lot of blood on it. I've had blood in my stool before, but only some drops after wiping, never something like that. I'm really scared, and i appreciate any input.