Share your top tops on diet + lifestyle for our new booklet.
Find out more here.

Wellness during and after treatment

Helly

Vegetarians Advice please

So glad I found this forum You all seem so positive. Devastated on day after Boxing Day when my husband had a colonoscopy after Bowel Screening test to be told he had bowel cancer. Biopsy results confirmed this Good news is CT scan shows not spread and met with surgeon who will remove third colon in next week or two. He'd had no symptoms at all so screening programme really works.
Just wondering if any vegetarians can advise how they managed after surgery. Surgeon said may be bit difficult as we eat alot of beans and pulses, nuts and generally have a high fibre diet Many thanks :x:

bettebette

Hello @Helly I am sorry to hear about your husband’s diagnosis, however it’s good to read that the surgery is planned and the CT looks positive.
I think everyone’s experience post resection is a bit different, mine was a bit odd in that I had high calcium (causes constipation) so I was able to keep up a fairly fibrous diet, however since the calcium has normalised my bowel doesn’t like much fibre at all - everything comes out pretty quickly (sorry about the detail)
Certainly I have to cook veg much more than I would choose too, and legumes are still a no-no in anything more than a tiny helping (maybe a tablespoonful)
I eat a small amount of nuts and
I make my own soups and so I can get the nutritional value of the veg.
Certainly straight after the operation I think a low fibre diet is recommended so that the bowel can repair.
With best wishes from a fellow veggie
🍠🥔🥕🥬

Jomo9

@Helly I am also vegetarian - I had surgery in October and have a temporary stoma. To be honest I found the diet very difficult to start with as most of what I ate had to be changed. I am eating a lot more than I used to but it is down to trial and error. The key items to avoid are those that don’t digest easily so I don’t eat green beans, sweet corn, jacket potato skins, granary bread, brown rice etc. Beans and lentils seem to be fine as long as they are in smaller quantities than normal. However, you should avoid them around operation time. The best advice is to speak to your hospital nutritionalist who can go through the foods with you. I have attached a document that I found useful but everyone is quite individual as to how their body copes. Jo xx

www.royalsurrey.nhs.uk/..._Low_irritant_high_fibre_diet.pdf

bettebette

Hi @Jomo9 I have just read the list you attached for @Helly, that’s very useful- I have spent ages working some of those things out (the food diary has taken ages!)
so thank you from me.
It’s quite a challenge - mentally and actually - changing a lifetime habit of eating lots of healthy foods /fibre, I long for a potato skins with loads of veg 😐 Oh - and some granary bread *sigh*

Jomo9

@bettebette the booklet was actually from someone else on the forum and much better than the A4 page I got given! How I miss granary bread, crispy jacket potato skins and crunchy peanut butter! It all seems ironic as I have spent my lifetime eating reasonably healthy food 🤔

bettebette

@Jomo9 it’s certainly better than any info I was given so thanks for passing it on.

Isn’t it ironic 😳🙄😐

Helly

Thank you all for your replies - heartbreaking as everything we currently eat is in that right hand column (& have eaten being veggie for last 35 years) Nevermind onward and upward I do all the cooking and as you say trial and error Printed that off and will give it some thought Cheers :x:

bettebette

@Helly and @Jomo9
It does make gloomy reading, however it may only be in the short/medium term (my resection was almost two years ago but because of the calcium/parathyroid the changes are on a different timescale I think)
I imagine that a very high fibre diet will always need to to be carefully balanced after a bowel operation, however after my parathyroidectomy check up I am planning to consult a dietitian, if I get any useful advice/ideas I will pass them on.
Otherwise I might be cheeky and contact the people who prepared the Surrey booklet, could be worth a try...

Adnyl

@Helly I'm not a vegetarian but do eat some veg meals as well as my regular meals, i eat a high fibre diet and we eat a good 8 portions f&v a day.

Following my surgery I lost my appetite completely but when it returned I found I couldn't manage to eat fibre, when I tried to eat veg it gave me painful wind so I had to leave it.

We invested in a soup maker which allowed me to get veg. I found myself craving for protein, chicken, cheese etc as I guess my body needed it to heal.

heidee

When I was on low-residue diet I lived off macaroni cheese. Life could be worse as that's my favourite meal!