Ask the Nurse

If you have a question for our nurses, please post it here or email nurse@bowelcanceruk.org.uk. Typically you will receive a response within 2-4 working days. Please note this is for non-urgent enquiries only. If you are feeling unwell please contact your hospital team or GP.

Posts in this section can only be replied to by the nurses. If you wish other users to respond to your question you will need to post it in another topic on the community as well.

EssexDan

Throbbing pain where tumour was

Hi.
I had cancer tumour surgically removed. It was a right hemi and the tumour was 65mm x 65mm.
The operation was on the 18th December and recovery has been great.
However in the last 2 days i have been getting a dull throbbing sensation in the same place i did before the tumour was removed.
I am panicking now that its back or something has happened to the rejoin.
Can this happen 5 weeks post surgery? Or could it just be a passing feeling as i heal?

Charlotte Nurse Advisor

Dear @EssexDan,

At this early stage following your operation it is not unusual to experience some twinges and pains and things continue to settle and the body goes through the healing process. The formation of scar tissue inside can cause some discomfort.

A recurrence of the cancer at this stage is extremely unlikely and most problems with the rejoin occur at an earlier post-op stage than this.

However, I would report this to either your GP or consultant (are you due to see your surgeon soon)? It is unlikely that they will need to investigate too much at this stage but it is important to let them know about any symptoms that are not settling.

Kindest regards,
Charlotte

EssexDan

Thanks for your speedy response.
It has dissapeared overnight but came back twice about and hour ago but nothing since. So like you say probably settling down.
I am not due to see anyone else now until i get my oncologist appointment in the next week or so.
I will phone the colorectal nurses tomorrow and let them know i had a couple of days of funny feelings from the pre tumour area.
Thanks again for the speedy response it is appreciated.

Charlotte Nurse Advisor
Quote from @EssexDan:
Thanks for your speedy response.
It has dissapeared overnight but came back twice about and hour ago but nothing since. So like you say probably settling down.
I am not due to see anyone else now until i get my oncologist appointment in the next week or so.
I will phone the colorectal nurses tomorrow and let them know i had a couple of days of funny feelings from the pre tumour area.
Thanks again for the speedy response it is appreciated.

Your welcome @EssexDan hopefully it will all settle down soon.