Share your top tops on diet + lifestyle for our new booklet.
Find out more here.

Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

EssexDan

Picc line and treatment dates received

Hi All.

An update.....
Just had a call from hospital.
Picc line going in next wednesday and 1st cycle the Tuesday after that.

EssexDan

Hi @greyhound gal having 1st cycle of both on Tuesday.
Am worrying about possible side affects. :x:

greyhound gal

I know exactly how you’re feeling @EssexDan ! I’m off to the unit on Monday for bloods and a chat, and then I start on Wednesday, gulp!
I keep thinking to myself, this time next week I’ll actually know about chemo.
I’m sure I’ve read every piece of information available about Xelox and it’s side effects, and so I know some get none, some get them all and some get some!!
Keep in touch. I hope you get away with it unscathed, Wendy :x::x:

EssexDan

Same for you too @greyhound gal . I hope you dont get any and very best wishes for Wednesday.:x::x:

LucyN

Hi @EssexDan and @grehound gal. Good luck this week. I'm starting my chemo (Xelox too) on 21st Feb and feeling all the same anxiety about side effects. Wishing you both an easy time of things once it all starts. Lucy

greyhound gal

Hi LucyN, thank you for your message. I’ve just been for my bloods and chat about Wednesday, and reminded about ALL the side effects. Strangely enough, I don’t feel too bad at the moment, I just want to get started!

@EssexDan, I’ll be sending you positive thoughts tomorrow :x::x:

EssexDan

Thanks @LucyN. I hope yours goes well too.
Thanks @greyhound gal, that meeting can be a bit daunting cant it.
Today I'm trying to keep busy but have a killer sore throat!
Feeling very nervous now guys.:x::x:

LucyN

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow @EssexDan. (I'm guessing you're in Essex - me too!)

greyhound gal

Hot honey and lemon! Definitely keep busy, worrying is not going to change anything that’ll happen tomorrow! Fingers crossed it’ll be fine !
I’m going to try and keep busy as well tomorrow evening. I’m in a choir, and we’re singing some really good songs at the moment. “Some Body to Love “- Queen, “Little Respect “- Erasure and “Skyfall”.

the old faithful

Hi, I am new here. It was good to read what others have experienced. I started chemo last week, Oxaloplatin and oral Capecitabine. Unfortunately had quite a lot of side effects, particularly stomach cramps, diarrhoea and sickness. I have been asked to stop the tablets. Awaiting further review and next course of action, I guess it will be the PICC line next and intra venous 5FU. Apart from the side effects I mentioned above I had terrible pain in my bottom. Has anyone had that? This happened soon after I had the surgery too, to remove the cancer. I do hope the infusion won't cause these side effects.

greyhound gal

Hi @the old faithful, welcome to the site . You will get lots of useful advice and helpful hints from people who have been there before!
I would recommend that you ask your questions as a new topic. If you click on + sign which is next to the magnifying glass at the top, you could copy and paste in what you have typed here. More people will see it and reply.
Best wishes Wendy :x::x:

the old faithful

Thank you, Wendy. Best wishes :x::x:

EssexDan

Hi @the old faithful i hope your new treatment plan works.
Just got home. All went well although have pins an needles in left hand and both feet.
Got to take my 4 cape tablets this evening so hopefully no further issues as am shattered.
Hi @LucyN yes east coast essex. :x::x:

Gypsy

Well done @EssexDan . :x::x:

the old faithful

Thank you, I hope it will work too.
Hope the pins and needles will ease off. Keep them warm.

LucyN

Hi @EssexDan. Well done on getting through the first day! Hope the side effects get better. Lucy

EssexDan

Thanks @LucyN .
Feeling ok today. Even went into the office for 5 hours.

Spanner

Well done @EssexDan onwards and upwards

LucyN

That's great news @EssexDan. I've been wondering what to do about work during chemo. Hope all stays good for you!

EssexDan

Thanks @Spanner . Btw i get that lock jaw that your wife had. So annoying!
@LucyN i plan to go into work as much as possible to try and keep a normal routine and keep my mind occupied.
If i get tired i just tell all in the office im shutting my eyes for an hour and i just nod off at my desk. Lol. See how it goes Lucy but dont go over the top.