Ask the Nurse

If you have a question for our nurses, please post it here or email nurse@bowelcanceruk.org.uk. Typically you will receive a response within 2-4 working days. Please note this is for non-urgent enquiries only. If you are feeling unwell please contact your hospital team or GP.

Posts in this section can only be replied to by the nurses. If you wish other users to respond to your question you will need to post it in another topic on the community as well.

Milko

Lovely large hernias

I am waiting to have a ileostomy reversed and after that will just have some very impressive hernias left after surgeries on my liver. As they are large and not causing problems and per the doctors unlikely to, is there anything I can do to make them smaller while I wait for surgery to sort them out? I know about losing weight but what exercise can help.

Charlotte Nurse Advisor

Dear @Milko,

Thank you for your post and apologies for the delayed reply.

In short there are no exercises that can be done to reduce the size of a hernia that has already developed. In order to try to prevent them becoming worse losing a bit of weight will help and a surgical belt / corset will help provide support. You can speak to your GP about this.

With regard to exercises I would seek professional help on this as it is possible to make things worse through exercise so you should ensure that you are shown how to exercise properly.

With kindest regards,
Charlotte