Ask the Nurse

If you have a question for our nurses, please post it here or email nurse@bowelcanceruk.org.uk. Typically you will receive a response within 2-4 working days. Please note this is for non-urgent enquiries only. If you are feeling unwell please contact your hospital team or GP.

Posts in this section can only be replied to by the nurses. If you wish other users to respond to your question you will need to post it in another topic on the community as well.

jean

CEA levels

Please could you help me. My CEA level before surgery was 2. It was a dukes A Tumour that I had. And didn’t have chemo or anything afterwards. After surgery it’s still 2 and has remained at 2 for three years. Is it because my tumour isnt secreting the hormones, or it was caught early and it hadn’t started secreting the hormones, or is something else going on. Just a little confused. Thank you for your time :x:

Charlotte Nurse Advisor

Dear @jean,

A CEA level of 2 is within the normal range. Therefore it was normal before your surgery and is still normal now.

This might be because your tumour did not secrete CEA but as it is still a normal reading now I would not be worried.

Kindest regards,
Charlotte

jean

Thank you so much :x::x: