Share your top tops on diet + lifestyle for our new booklet.
Find out more here.

Wellness during and after treatment

lilmil

Ileostomy reversal tomorrow! Any advice welcome. Xx

Hi guys I'm having my reversal tomorrow morning and was wondering if any of you have any tip for after care do's and dont's ect.

Thank millions. XxπŸ’–πŸ’–

I only got the call on Tuesday to say im going in! They do like to spring thing on me! They must know what a wimp i am Haha xx

My bye bye stoma pic πŸ“ΈπŸ’–πŸ€—

cyclingjohnny

fantastic news to say goodbye to the stoma, wishing you all the best for tomorrow and going forward, john xx.

greyhound gal

I’ve got my Beryl for life, so no advice but wishing you much luck for tomorrow and the future, Wendy :x::x:

determinedjoan

All the v best from me too :x:

Calleyh

Wishing you all the best. Big hug.

island girl

@lilmil wishing you well for tomorrow, big hug πŸ€— :x::x:

abergirl

Wishing you a successful reversal..you will be fine and soon recovering. @charleyb . Iwonder if you would kindly come in with your excellent advice about post op diet...I know it will be welcome for
@lilmil ... Big hugs for tomorrow. :x::x:

george1960

Wish you the best :x::x:

charleyb

Thanks @abergirl. @lilmil team may advise differently but for us they took the slowly slowly approach. Charlie had an ileus when he had his stoma created so this time knowing it may happen we stuck to strict instructions of no food only sips of water till the bowel started to work (only water coming out!) after this clear fluids, onto free fluids and then finally mushy foods. When home Charlie stuck to the low residue for around 4 weeks or so and then gradually added normal foods back in. Hes around 6 months post reversal now, and whilst he is definitely not back to his normal, he has a pretty good routine and great control.
Main tips are get mobile as soon as you can, and little gentle walks around the ward can get things going. P.s there will be lots of wind!! Its a good sign, and make sure you have lots of pads for home. I lay a towel on the bed, as initially there is not much notice you need to go.
Big hugs :x::x::x:

KarenE

Best wishes for today @lilmil :x::x::x:

Jomo9

Hi @lilmil what reversal are you having - loop or end? I am due to have my β€˜end’ reversal in April/May and was wondering how long you think you will be in hospital for? :x::x:

KittyMac

Take it easy with food - stick to low residue to start with, and most importantly of all, make sure you have some adult nappies at home because things can get VERY unpredictable. Good luck!

lilmil
Quote from @charleyb:
Thanks @abergirl. @lilmil team may advise differently but for us they took the slowly slowly approach. Charlie had an ileus when he had his stoma created so this time knowing it may happen we stuck to strict instructions of no food only sips of water till the bowel started to work (only water coming out!) after this clear fluids, onto free fluids and then finally mushy foods. When home Charlie stuck to the low residue for around 4 weeks or so and then gradually added normal foods back in. Hes around 6 months post reversal now, and whilst he is definitely not back to his normal, he has a pretty good routine and great control.
Main tips are get mobile as soon as you can, and little gentle walks around the ward can get things going. P.s there will be lots of wind!! Its a good sign, and make sure you have lots of pads for home. I lay a towel on the bed, as initially there is not much notice you need to go.
Big hugs

Thank you so much @charleyb. My reversal went well thank goodness. In lots of pain though!. :x::x:

lilmil
Quote from @Jomo9:
Hi @lilmil what reversal are you having - loop or end? I am due to have my β€˜end’ reversal in April/May and was wondering how long you think you will be in hospital for?

Its a loop reversal hun, they think I'll be home by monday all being well. I just need to poo! πŸ’©πŸ˜‚
Good luck for your op if i get any good advice or thing that work well for me I'll message you. πŸ’–πŸ’•

lilmil
Quote from @KittyMac:
Take it easy with food - stick to low residue to start with, and most importantly of all, make sure you have some adult nappies at home because things can get VERY unpredictable. Good luck!

Ooo i do i got some from boots before i went in. Thank you for info very much appreciated. πŸ˜˜πŸ’–

lilmil
Quote from @abergirl:
Wishing you a successful reversal..you will be fine and soon recovering. @charleyb . Iwonder if you would kindly come in with your excellent advice about post op diet...I know it will be welcome for
@lilmil ... Big hugs for tomorrow.

Thank you so much. Op went well thank goodness. πŸ˜˜πŸ’•

abergirl

Well done you!! Take care and everything crossed for that πŸ’© !! :x::x:

lilmil

Hehe thanks @abergirl πŸ˜‚πŸ’–