Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

Danii

Side effects

Hi everyone, I started my circle Monday again had oxaliplatin and 5fu. They had to stop oxaliplatin when left about 85ml because I had chest tightness and my pulse jumped up to 200. Now is Thursday I am still feeling so unwell.. With pains and numbness in my hands and legs. I am doing Monday to get 5fu. But I am still feeling so unwell x anyone have similar reactions please x thank you :x:

determinedjoan

Oh @Danii, u poor thing; really hope u feel better soon.
Had Oxaliplatin Monday- terrible tingling in hands, tightness in both calf muscles- could barely walk, so think these effects not uncommon ; mine easing up now,but if u r at all worried about anything, pls call chemo helpline or ambulance for A&E. Really hope u can get some sleep & will feel a little better tomorrow. Thinking of u & sending love, 💗, hugs 🤗 & healing vibes :x:

Bear G

Hi @Danii
Sorry to hear you had such a big reaction to oxaliplatin. It’ll be in your system for several days which I guess is why you’re still feeling the effects.

That said, I’d certainly encourage you to talk to your team if you’re worried, they’re there for you.

Have they given you a phone number you could call?
Big hugs
Bear
:x::x:

Lawsey

Dear @Danii now experienced folfox capecitibine and folfiri and the side effects of each e.g vomiting diarrohea leg and stomach cramps chest tightening. Not everyone has the side effects and each person has a different reaction.
I have really needed :
The team
The chemo line
Through communication we have reduced doses. I have learnt what I can safely tolerate and 'put up with' what requires action and what is an emergency.
I always felt better after calling the number they gave me - it was 24 hour and they would talk through symptoms
Its tough but we are with you and finally the bad days do pass
Love and strength

Catt79

Hi @Danii I also had a very severe reaction to oxy when I started chemo in October. I ended up in hospital first two cycles due to getting dehydrated and generally being so ill. As a result, my oncologist reduced my dose by 20% for cycle 3 onwards and the following cycles were absolutely fine and even on a reduced dose my tumours have shrunk more than normal :)
Definitely let the hospital know how badly it's affecting you as they will more than likely be able to make some changes to make it more tolerable for you :x::x::x:

Danii

Hi @Catt79 I was admitted after first one. And now I had second now is Friday I am still so unwell x I will try to speak Monday with the team x I just can't cope with this I am so unwell I can't do anything. Just want to lie down 😭😭 and I have 4 kids as well. Going outside making unbelievable. 😭😭😭

Bear G

Hi @Danii
Do you have an out of hours number for the unit, if it’s affecting you badly I’d suggest calling them, for reassurance at least
:x::x:

Catt79

@Danii I agree with Bear G that it's worth contacting your hospital out of hours if you are too unwell to do anything. That's how I was and I just assumed it was normal but my oncologist told me it was a very severe reaction and not normal. Be careful not to get dehydrated if you're struggling to eat and drink.
Your hospital may have a different system but I was told to phone switchboard and ask for the oncology bleep nurse if it was night time or weekend- maybe phone your hospital and see if they have something similar?
Please know that it WILL get better and you should not be this ill for all your chemo. I remember how utterly awful it was being so ill and send a big hug :x::x:

determinedjoan

How’re u feeling today @Danii ? Thinking of u & sending love 💗 & hugs 🤗 :x:

Danii

Hi @determinedjoan . Bit better today finally x just in pains with my leg's and joints still feeling sick. But trying to eat more now x hopefully come back to my self tomorrow x I have 5fu tomorrow xx thank you for asking :x: