New to the community?

claire blenk

bowel prep picolax

Hi all my dad passed away of bowel cancer in november...so i rang my doctor as we have alot of family history..i saw a not very nice to say the least consultant and one day later in the post i have a colonoscopy for monday 18th! that quick which is concerning...iv got to take picolax and i have an unusual phobia of vomiting...im so nervous of taking it...could any of you help with some tips to cope please :x:

bettebette

Hello @claire blenk I am sorry to hear about your dad please accept my condolences.

I have had no experience of vomiting with any of the preparations for colonoscopy or similar, in my experience the preparation causes the bowel to empty downwards, I hope that this reassures you.

Very best wishes for the 18th. :x:

cyclingjohnny

hi claire, sorry about your father passing away,you have done the right thing by getting checked out, i think the prep that they use to purge your system goes under a lot of different names, when i went for mine it was called moviprep, have to admit it's not the greatest tasting drink i have ever had, i think you can mix certain fruit squashes with it, but not blackcurrant if i remember rightly, some people say that drinking it through a straw helps,i am sure the wonderful people on this site will soon come up with plenty of tips, best of luck on monday hope all goes well. john xx.

claire blenk

thankyou for your replies...think i need the sedation for the prep aha...im just going to have to be brave but i feel sick just thinking about it! :x:

bettebette

@clareblenk I have been thinking about this and just want to add that you need to be calm and use the prep as directed to make sure the colonoscopy can be done cleanly, that way your bowel will be clear and fingers crossed you will not have to have the procedure again. Sorry if I sound a bit bossy, I am just thinking of you (I get claustrophobic and hate having an MRI scan but each time I took a deep breath and tried to think of the greater good)
Best wishes to you :x:

Gypsy

@clareblenk, my advice with picolax is to drink plenty of water to prevent getting a headache.:x::x::x:

abergirl

Hello @clare blenk ..very sorry to hear about your father..but we'll done on going for a check.
Everyone having a colonoscopy has to drink the prep.....my hubby has had Moviprep twice....and I had Picolax once for a barium enema. You will be OK honestly. Pull those big girl pants up..and down the hatch with it!! Plan to have something nice when it's all over. Big hug.:x::x::x:

GROBER

Picolax and MoviPrep are both designed to wash out the large bowel but act in slightly different ways. Picolax is a stimulant laxative while Moviprep is an osmotic laxative. Both end up with you passing a lot of liquid or semi-liquid stool. WIth picolax you don't have to drink vast amounts of prep so this may suit you better. Still a good idea to top up with lots of clear fluids little and often[ avoiding anything with strong colourants in them as they may stain your bowel internal surfaces] - especially after the deluge starts. You will be fine provided you have uninterupted access to a toilet!
www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/digestion/a7351/picolax/

claire blenk

hi thanks for more replies...i get migrains badly and the citric acid in the prep is a trigger! so figured best to postpone to a week day when i can have an anti nausea injection and arrange migrain meds in a nasal spray...otherwise i just dont think i would make it! so its the 12th march now :x:

cyclingjohnny

hi claire, you have done the right thing postponing,now with ythe injection and meds, you should be in a better frame to cope with it, good luck. john.

abergirl

Hi Claire..sorry..I didn't know about your migraines..aww..no wonder you were worried. Do hope it goes well now with the Meds. Very best wishes .:x::x: