When bowel cancer returns

AndiB

Radiotherapy Ablation?

Hi all, new to posting. I had rectal cancer and had the op in Jan 2018. Been fine since reversal in June 2018 and felt really positive. First annual scan has shown a met on my liver 1.4cm by 1.8cm and an indistinguishable dot in another sector. I have the option of the op to remove the met and leave the dot along or to opt for ablation and monitor the dot. Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome.

AndiB

Hi @mem, it has now been confirmed that the ablation will go ahead on Wednesday 🤞. From your many experiences what should I expect? I have been advised to report at 7:30am and be prepared for an overnight stay. Seems a lot for what I have been advised is a very short op.

determinedjoan

Good o. Also had lung & then liver Ablations (@ Uclh) October; had an overnight stay each time.
Had been feeling well b4 going in each time; hope u r too. Still took a few weeeks to get over - v tired afterwards & tachycardic. Managed to make it to younger son’s 21st birthday 🎂 celebrations, which almost certainly didn’t help recovery- ended up with pneumonic Effusion! Sure you’ll be fine .V best of luck x thinking of u- pls keep us posted :x:

mem

Ah, that’s fab news @AndiB ☺️. Bring it on eh?! It is a straight forward procedure, if all goes smoothly, which it will 🤞🏻. Are you having a General Anaesthetic? They will want to keep their eye on you for that reason too if that is the case. The last ablation I had, I was at home by the next day and that was via a General. They’ll take you to the CT room and prep you. And what feels like 5 minutes later, you’ll be awake and recovering ( hopefully, drain-less). You will have no doubt already been given the pros and cons of the procedure (which is part and parcel of any procedure) but here’s to the pros all day long!
Keep us posted AndiB and good luck :x::x:

AndiB

Hi @mem thanks for your kind words, not really sure about anaesthetic just know I need procedure as soon as possible. Just realised in my post I said the met was on my lung when in fact it’s on my liver. Must be the pressure of trying to deal with this.

DianeS

Hi @AndiB just wanted you to know I had liver ablation two and a half years ago. It was a simple overnight procedure done under general anaesthetic. I had very slight discomfort afterwards and you can get flu like symptoms for up to a week. If I did, I didn’t notice. I was left with two teeny tiny puncture holes in my side that didn’t need any attention. Fingers crossed since my ablation I have been NED without further chemo. Long may it last. I’m sure you will be very surprised at how simple it is. Very best of luck for tomorrow Diane :x::x::x::x:

AndiB

Hi @DianeS sounds easy enough don’t know why I’m worrying. Just read through your profile great news that ablation appears to have worked you so far. Well done you🤞
So many scans and obviously sleepless nights waiting for results, please tell me it gets easier.

Gypsy

Thinking of you @AndiB. You will nail this. :x::x:

mem

No worries at all @AndiB, what’s an organ between forum friends 😉. Would you like me to change it to ‘Liver’ for you? I actually had my liver resected so I’ve no experience of liver ablation, but as Diane has said, it sounds like liver ablation is just as straight forward and a very positive procedure too.
I’m sure when it’s all done and dusted you’ll feel a lot more relaxed and I agree with Gypsy, ‘You will nail this!’
Thinking of you for tomorrow 🤞🏻 :x::x:

AndiB

Nice one @mem probably a good idea to change it to “liver” I guess it may help others in the future, I’m actually looking forward to dealing with it now. I will let you all know how i go on, be interesting if they keep me overnight as planned because theoretically I have a 7:30am appointment. Thanks everyone for the good wishes, bring it on:)

mem

It’s done @AndiB 😊. :x::x:

Baxter2

Best wishes for tomorrow @AndiB

Lots of love

Karen💚💜💛❤️💙

greyhound gal

You’re sounding so much more positive @AndiB ! Keep in that frame of mind for tomorrow. Best wishes, Wendy :x::x:

DianeS

Hi @AndiB I think the waiting is horrendous, and it allows our minds time to work overtime. Scan results are always the worst for me. I absolutely hate walking into the oncologists room. Please let us know how it goes tomorrow. Wishing you oodles of luck Diane :x::x::x::x:

AndiB

Hi All, arrived home at 4:30pm, everything has gone to plan, apparently radiologists decided to go in from two separate angles to ablate the lesion. Overall feel happy its over.
Thanks for all your good wishes. 💪The Fight Continues💪

Gypsy

That's great @AndiB . Take it gently now for a bit!:x::x:

mem

That’s great news @AndiB and at home too! Here’s to a smooth recovery 😊 :x::x:

bettebette

Very good wishes for your recovery @AndiB :x::x:

determinedjoan

V well done 👍 u, @AndiB ! Onwards & upwards. Wish u steady & full recovery :x:

DianeS

So pleased it’s all gone well @AndiB. Hope you are feeling ok? Love D :x::x:

AndiB

Thank you all for the good wishes, I cant believe how welcome ive felt on the blog in my hour of need. its alright talking with your family and friends but you all really understand because you’ve been on the journey. once again many thanks