When bowel cancer returns

AndiB

Radiotherapy Ablation?

Hi all, new to posting. I had rectal cancer and had the op in Jan 2018. Been fine since reversal in June 2018 and felt really positive. First annual scan has shown a met on my liver 1.4cm by 1.8cm and an indistinguishable dot in another sector. I have the option of the op to remove the met and leave the dot along or to opt for ablation and monitor the dot. Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome.

mem

It’s done @AndiB 😊. :x::x:

Baxter2

Best wishes for tomorrow @AndiB

Lots of love

Karen💚💜💛❤️💙

greyhound gal

You’re sounding so much more positive @AndiB ! Keep in that frame of mind for tomorrow. Best wishes, Wendy :x::x:

DianeS

Hi @AndiB I think the waiting is horrendous, and it allows our minds time to work overtime. Scan results are always the worst for me. I absolutely hate walking into the oncologists room. Please let us know how it goes tomorrow. Wishing you oodles of luck Diane :x::x::x::x:

AndiB

Hi All, arrived home at 4:30pm, everything has gone to plan, apparently radiologists decided to go in from two separate angles to ablate the lesion. Overall feel happy its over.
Thanks for all your good wishes. 💪The Fight Continues💪

Gypsy

That's great @AndiB . Take it gently now for a bit!:x::x:

mem

That’s great news @AndiB and at home too! Here’s to a smooth recovery 😊 :x::x:

bettebette

Very good wishes for your recovery @AndiB :x::x:

determinedjoan

V well done 👍 u, @AndiB ! Onwards & upwards. Wish u steady & full recovery :x:

DianeS

So pleased it’s all gone well @AndiB. Hope you are feeling ok? Love D :x::x:

AndiB

Thank you all for the good wishes, I cant believe how welcome ive felt on the blog in my hour of need. its alright talking with your family and friends but you all really understand because you’ve been on the journey. once again many thanks

AndiB

Results from CT scan back today and they have only managed to remove 50% of the metastasis. Obviously err on the side of caution due to big arteries being close by.
Disappointed to say the least and feel like I haven’t made any progress over the last 8 weeks. Was offered ablation or liver resection and I cant see any alternative than to opt for the resection. Thoughts?

determinedjoan

Hi 👋 @AndiB , sooo soz u r feeling disappointed. Hv u been able to discuss results with ur medical team ? Do they hv any further thoughts /advice on what to do next ?
I am waiting for results of liver MRI to see if I can possibly hv further liver Ablation. IF resection is being offered to u, maybe go with that but as I understand it, resection is a bigger/slower to recover from procedure, which I’m sure others on this wonderful forum will be able to help u with.
Wishing u all the v best with either procedure .

mem

Hey @AndiB,
How’s you after you recent ablation?
Sorry to read your news was not better news. Have they offered you more RFA or a resection? I’ve had a liver resection back in 2014 where they removed practically 70% of it, plus my gall bladder, due to a big lump of a met. And to date, I have not had a recurrence in that area 🤞🏻. If you have a read of the fab @El Ivan’s profile he has had four liver resections and is currently doing ok🤞🏻.
Although, it sometimes feel like one step forward and two steps back there are still positive options for you and if it were me, I would gather as much info re the pros and cons for both and ask your team, in their professional opinion, what would be the best way forward for you?
It’s frustrating Andi B, I totally get that, but you WILL get there.
Please keep us posted.
Lots of love :x::x:

AndiB

Hi @mem @determinedjoan
I feel fine just really disappointed how the RFA went, only getting 50% feels like a waste of time. However on a positive note the “dot” in sector 7 is still a dot and has not grown. I have been offered RFA or a resection but I really only see the reaction as an option. I did read @El Ivan profile and he really has had a tough journey “unbelievable”💪🙏
As you say its one step forward and 2 steps back, however when I look at your profiles I feel a bit embarrassed getting upset because it hasn’t gone as planned.
Thank you for your best wishes it really means a lot to me.

mem

You should never feel embarrassed @AndiB you’re dealing with a lot too. In it together!
As you will have seen from Ivan’s profile, liver resections can be a huge positive! So I do hope it helped and provided you with hope.
Take care and we’re here for you anytime.:x::x:

Gypsy

Dear @AndiB . I agree with @mem and why you would you not be upset about this as anyone would be. Stay strong Andy and I hope you can get your head around the way forward for you and so glad that good vibes from here are helping. I'll be cheering you on anyway. Love Gypsyx

kas52

Folowing what our liver surgeon said......ablation can be not enough,keyhole operation sometimes but cut open one give bigger margin and like in the colon the best results.....so my husband is having the third one

AndiB

@kas thanks for your response appreciate it

charleyb

We were given both options, to ablate or open resection, we chose the latter, for similar reasons to Kas, and also we wanted histology of the tumour as it looked dead on the scans. My hubby had an open liver resection and is now 4 weeks down the line, hes back at work full time and feeling really well. They managed to get a 2cm margin and the histology has been invaluable to us in determining next steps :x::x: