Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

MrsMoors

Dehydration with an Ileosotomy

Hi all, my hubby is quite dehydrated post having an ileostomy, the nurse has advised diarolite and hes taking 5 a day but still really dehydrated, were going g to see the GP tomorrow but wondered if you guys has any hints and tips? He also has issues having a wee feels he needs to go but cant empty but the nurse isnt sure if that's dehydration or post OP issues or a UTI lol :x::x:

m_1

On the doctors' advice, I made ice cubes of doube-concentration (i.e. double packet dosage) diaralyte and put a couple in almost every cold drink.

Is he also taking orodispersible loperamide? This helps slow movement and hence thicken the output, which means he will absorb more fluid from food.

However, the weeing issue you should definitely something to ask the GP about as soon as possible. As far as I am aware (not being a doctor). this isn't something that dehydration would cause.

Wish you all the best.

greyhound gal

Hi @MrsMoors! Same as @m_1, I don’t think that dehydration would affect this weeing problem.
Suggestions for dehydration:
Daft as it sounds, don’t drink too much plain water, about 1 litre a day. Sip throughout day but stop half an hour either side of a meal, and don’t drink with food. Gives body chance to take nutrients from food.
Drink 1 litre of isotonic(Lucozade Sport etc), or diarolite or home made concoction (glucose/salt/water/squash to taste, recipes on line), again throughout the day.
Drink NO MORE than 5 cups of tea or coffee a day.
If I think of anything else, I’ll let you know!
Best wishes, Wendy :x::x:

MrsMoors

Thanks guys, hes not taking any lopermide. The consistency is good during the day when he is having diarolute but seems to reset over night xx dehydration can cause the urge to wee but you have nothing to come out xx we will be with the GP tomorrow :x::x:

Rachel

Hi @MrsMoors,
I think this is one for the doctors to sort especially if you are taking the necessary steps as advised by the nurse.
The one tip I have is don’t drink water alone, drink it with a dilute juice. My highly experienced stoma nurse advised the body stays hydrated for longer, it’s as though it sticks to the bowel making transit slowly staying in for longer.
I also recall watching a programme on this that tested the thicker the consistency the longer it stayed in. Water, dilute juice and milk. Milk came out on top.
I fill a jug daily of 2 litres of water I have this with juice and this is on top of other drinks so I am taking approx 3 litres of fluid daily.
I hope your husband is sorted as soon as possible.
:x::x:

Lizalou

Hi @MrsMoors
Hope you get some answers tomorrow but remember to take in some notes about the situation......even the most experienced GP s don't know a lot about ileostomies so make sure the GP understands the combined problem of dehydration and problems with weeing.
Best wishes :x:

cara

Hi not sure it it helps but I was recommended to take a product called zero that runner's use. U can get it from amazon quite cheaply and it comes in different flavours too. It restores electrolytes xxx sorry can help with the wee issue :x::x:

GROBER

The large bowel [ colon] normally plays a large part in the recovery/re-absorbtion of water AND electrolytes from the gut contents and with an ileostomy" intervening " in that process your husband may need to up his fluid intake. Its important that this is of the oral rehydration type to replace those lost electrolytes also. The other organs that have a major role in controlling the body's fluid balance are the kidneys so make sure your husband's kidney function is also looked at.

MrsMoors

GP has said hes severely dehydrated, wants him to drink more, stoma nurse wants him to drink less why cant these professionals get together the and make a plan Instead of us having to do a he said she said!

bettebette

Oh dear @MrsMoors, I have been given conflicting advice in the past too; would it be worth ringing the colorectal nurse for a final say re the dehydration advice?
:x::x::x:

MrsMoors

She just said go with what the GP said so we will try that.

determinedjoan

🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

bettebette

Instinct would say drink more wouldn’t it @MrsMoors. Perhaps @Rachel is right about adding something else?
I hope things improve :x::x::x:

greyhound gal

Definitely not too much plain water, you’ll just end up flushing food through too quickly! Dioralite or similar to replace electrolytes and salts I would suggest :x::x:

greyhound gal

Hi @MrsMoors, how’s your husband doing ?
Wendy :x::x:

MrsMoors

Not much better to be honest and now the dreaded butt pain has started lol he has undergone lots of tests and we will have the results of those tomorrow but he doesn't have a UTI :x::x::x:

determinedjoan

Really hope he starts to feel better soon; best of luck tomorrow :x:

Lizalou

Hope you get some answers soon @MrsMoors.
Check out St Marks solution on Google. (it is a hospital with its own recipe for 'diaoralyte'). As others have said, it is not just a case of drinking more water.
:x::x:

MrsMoors

Thank you x he has been drinking diarolyte x should get the results today :x:

Milllie

Hi Mrs Moors. Hydration can be really difficult to get the balance right. My mum had illeostomy 7th Jan this year and we are still getting to grips with it. The problem is if you drink too much it flushes all your electrolytes out which actually dehydrates you and if you don't drink enough you get dehydrated. My mum's doctors finally settled on 1500ml of liquid drinks per day made up of 500ml St Marks solution and 1000ml any other liquid. St Marks solution is 30g glucose powder, 5g Salt, 2.5g bicarbonate of soda per 500ml water, google it to make sure I have got that right. Hope your husband is feeling better.