Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

Wanderlust83

First day of Capox

My mum started her chemo treatment today. Sadly her picc line had come out too far, so they decided to give her chemo through the vein and just kept her warm. She was about 45 minutes from the end, suddenly went pale and started vomiting. The nurses spoke to the consultant as the anti sickness didn't really help, and he then said to stop the chemo. She's stopped vomiting but won't take her chemo tablets now until tomorrow, and now we have to see the consultant on Friday to see what happens about next time. Not a great start, but apparently the same happened last week with a guy on capox, so she feels slightly relieved it isn't just her!

Has anyone else had that happen?

Catt79

Sorry to hear your mum had a horrible reaction on her first chemo @Wanderlust83
Was it oxaliplatin she was having in hospital? I had a reaction to this on my second cycle and was in bed for five days before being admitted to hospital with dehydration. I would recommend making sure your mum drinks enough over the next few days and phone the hospital if you're concerned at all.
My oncologist reduced my dose of oxaliplatin after I reacted to it, and I pretty much sailed through the rest of my chemo treatments 🙂 This could be something to ask your onc about on Friday.
There are also additional anti-sickness drugs your onc can prescribe if they think it will help. I had one which was given as an infusion before the oxi as part of my amended treatment plan.
I hope you and your mum are taking it easy after this first chemo. I'm sure your Dr will have a solution when you see him on Friday- if he's anything like my oncologist, they seem to have all kinds of magical solutions up their sleeve ☺️:x::x:

Wanderlust83

Thanks @Catt79 and yes it was oxaliplatin. She didn't even get to having the capecitabine tablets, as her treatment was stopped and the doctor wanted her to stop being sick first. She ended up being kept in overnight because they feared she'd be sick again and end up having to come back in. I left the hospital at 10pm this evening and thankfully she hadn't been sick anymore, so we're seeing the oncologist tomorrow and have a meeting later this week to hear if she'll be continuing it or changing chemo or what will happen. I'll definitely ask them about reducing the dose - I do wonder if they might suggest it. The first two and a quarter hours she was absolutely fine, it was just after that when they had to stop it, bless her! And thank you, i'm looking forward to getting her home tomorrow and I think she's looking forward to a rest too! :x::x:

mem

Oh @wanderlust, sorry to read your lovely Mum hasn’t had the best start with the Picc and the chemo! I hope she is feeling much better today? Hopefully, there will be a way forward in no time and as Catt79 has said, perhaps they will tweak the anti-sickness meds and/or the dosing?
Love to you both and I hope you both enjoy the rest :x::x:

Wanderlust83

Thanks @mem! She is thankfully feeling a lot better and was allowed to come home this afternoon. We see the head oncologist on Friday to have a chat and he'll find out how she is and then decide what to do, but we spoke with another oncologist this morning and he said it's very rare for someone to act this way and he's hoping it might be a bug or food poisoning, but it's likely that they'll start her antisickness meds earlier ahead of her second round and monitor her then - we're hopeful as she has a date for her second round and she's been allowed to start her capecitabine this evening. She's already had that before with her radiotherapy so at least we know roughly where she stands with that part of it!

mem

It is great to hear your Mum is feeling better @Wanderlust83 and I hope round two proves a lot better, with hopefully no bug intrusions this time 🤞🏻!
Lots of love to you both :x::x:

greyhound gal

It’s good to read that your Mum’s back at home and feeling better @Wanderlust83 . I hope she continues and the next cycle works out well
Best wishes, Wendy :x::x:

Wanderlust83

Thanks @mem @greyhound gal. We went to see the Oncologist this morning. Mum's feeling a lot better although a little nauseous and not really much appetite, but she felt the same the last time she was on the tablets so we know that's so be expected. The oncologist is happy for her to continue and has suggested she start her anti-sickness tablets a day earlier before the second round, and he's also lowering her dose, so fingers crossed the next one will be better - and if not we at least know she's then halfway through!

DianeS

So pleased your mum is feeling better @Wanderlust83 and hopefully the earlier dose of anti sickness tablets will save her from this experience next time. I had Oxaliplatin so I sympathise with her. It’s a brilliant treatment but sadly has its side effects. If it can all be kept under control she will be fine. Best wishes to you and your mum Diane :x::x::x::x:

Wanderlust83

Thanks @DianeS, I hope so! Since i posted she's had a bit of a bad day, very very tired, she had an upset stomach this evening and felt faint, but we're not sure if it's a side effect or because she's very tired! (her temperature is a little low atm, but not seriously low, and she's under warning that if she doesn't feel better shortly I'll be calling the hospital!

DianeS

Hi @Wanderlust83 tiredness can make you feel light headed but if she doesn’t feel better I would definitely call the hospital even if it’s for advice. You sound like you will be having a long night and things always seem worse in the evening. I pray things are getting better since your post at 9.13. Love Diane :x::x::x::x::x:

mem

Hi @Wanderlust83,
Sorry to hear your Mum has been unwell again. How is she doing today?
Love to you both :x::x:

Wanderlust83

Thanks @mem @DianeS. She slept well last night (I didn't!) and feels a bit better today so we think the light headedness was because she was tired. She still feels sick and exhausted so had a mid morning nap, but despite her not having much of an appetite she's just had a jacket potato with some quiche and actually seemed to enjoy it! If she carries on feeling sick she'll speak to the nurses next week maybe to see if there are any other antisickness tablets she can try.

mem

Glad Mum has had a good nights sleep and is feeling a little better today @Wanderlust83 ☺️. Just sorry you didn’t get any sleep😢! Sleep goes along way, doesn’t it? Your Mum certainly sounds like she is struggling with sickness; I hope they can sort some meds that will be suitable for her soon. I’ve personally never taken this but I have read a few on the forum have taken ‘Emend’ for sickness, which seems to have worked really well for them. However, I’m not sure it’s prescribed as the norm, sadly because of expense. Worth a chat about it perhaps?
Take care both and I hope you manage to catch up with some zzz’s :x::x:

DianeS

Hi @Wanderlust83 it was Emend I had for nausea and it worked really well. I couldn’t think of the name of it so thank you @mem :x::x::x::x: