General Discussion

bettebette

I am actually a vegetarian and have been for 26 years but always think it’s worth having a look at these studies, certainly processed meat is a pretty grim thing health wise (for everyone) and it is that which is the main consideration; the article does say the study has limitations.
I think home made cake is practically a health food @Bear G particularly lemon drizzle cake (all that vitamin C 🍋)

Bear G

I like the way you’re thinking there - carrot cake is surely good for you 😉

1234annie
Quote from @bettebette:
I am actually a vegetarian and have been for 26 years but always think it’s worth having a look at these studies, certainly processed meat is a pretty grim thing health wise (for everyone) and it is that which is the main consideration; the article does say the study has limitations.
I think home made cake is practically a health food @Bear G particularly lemon drizzle cake (all that vitamin C 🍋)

Add Chai seeds and it's full of fibre too 😄

LL

25 grammes PER DAY? My husband has the blood profile of an anorexic schoolgirl - I don't think we'll be cutting the meat ration any time soon!

EssexDan

Anything like that is unrealistic in my view. Most of us here have led an extremely healthy lifestyle.

Chelts

25g a day??? I eat that in one mouthful, followed by many more!!!!
Perhaps that's why I'm here with the rest of you.
Think I'll be avoiding this advice!

bettebette

Hi @1234annie, do you mean add chia seeds to cake/lemon cake? How much do you use, does it effect the texture or flavour in any big way? :x:

1234annie
Quote from @bettebette:
Hi @1234annie, do you mean add chia seeds to cake/lemon cake? How much do you use, does it effect the texture or flavour in any big way?

Yes, two table spoons. No it makes it more delicious!! Add it to the batter and cook as normal. X

bakingbites.com/2013/02/lemon-chia-seed-cake/

1234annie

I used to eat ham and bacon. After surgery I only ate organic and had red meat once a week but I've been veggie for about 4 months and have now cut cheese and milk too. I don't miss it at all. My hubby has always loved bacon and he didn't get bowel cancer so to me this is rubbish!

bettebette

Thank you @1234annie I will give that recipe a try. My daughter and her family are vegans and I find their diet bit too restrictive for me, out of interest what ‘milk’ are you using? I have wondered about oat milk since oats are so beneficial generally.

I suppose there are always people who don’t conform to any of the norms (red flags for crc for instance) I imagine this information would mainly be applicable to those ‘most likely’ to get crc ie., older people. Certainly it seems reducing processed meats is a good idea, but I wonder about processed food in general, it can’t do us much good to eat all the additives, emulsifiers and hydrogenated fats that appear in food can it.

I agree about the blood profile @LL certainly decent red meat is useful for iron.

belinda66

@Bear G

You're quite right - reading this properly shows a different conclusion to the headline and the NHS isn't changing its advice. There was another one recently about people who could eat what they liked without gaining weight but the actual details showed nothing of the kind and the people concerned didn't consume a lot of calories at all. Silly headlines.

cyclingjohnny

Hi@BearG does bacon barmCAKE qualify.

jeangenie

And then you have to think about what people normally have with bacon (bread and butter?) or with steak (wine?) as well as the lifestyles of the respondents, which we don't know and, if it was a recall survey. Could you chart your food intake from last year?

Jon-T

ok, The risk is increased from 7.0% to 7.0126%

bettebette

Headlines are meant to catch the eye of course!

Bear G

@bettebette could we change the title of this thread to something like ‘new data on diet and bowel cancer’?
:x::x:

bettebette

I am happy to do that @Bear G
The original title was exact copy from the article.