Just diagnosed

Welly68

terrible pain pre op

Hi, my husband was diagnosed with bowel cancer a few weeks ago, after a very slow (and not great) diagnosis process, and is finally scheduled for surgery next Thursday. However since Saturday he's been in terrible pain constantly, can barely move, doesn't want to eat etc. He's supposed be be building himself up and getting healthy before the operation but can barely get out of bed. Does anyone know is this normal? Is there anything we can do about it? Any thoughts would be really helpful!

Bear G

Glad you’ve followed the advice @Welly68 , hope they can get this sorted quickly
:x::x:

greyhound gal

Hi @Welly68, hope you’re not waiting around too long in A&E. Let us know what happens
Best wishes, Wendy :x::x:

mem

Hi @Welly68,
Just a little check up to see how you both are? :x::x:

Welly68

Hi all, thank you so much for your kind thoughts - it's all been pretty hellish. Hubby having emergency surgery this afternoon - unfortunately now the bowel is blocked he can't have keyhole surgery, and there's a greater risk of infection etc - but here we are anyway . Wish us luck! Thanks for the support, really appreciate it... :x::x:

Lirio345

Hello @Welly68, although this is not what you would have chosen I am so pleased that you went to A&E. Treatment should get back on track once your husband recovers from surgery. Please stay in touch and take very good care, Kim :x::x:

Gypsy

Dear @Welly68 .Thinking of you. He will be ok and come through- we are all here for you both. Love and hugs, Gypsyxxx

Lizalou

Hi @Welly68
Glad he is getting sorted and I am sure the open surgery is the best plan under the circumstances (don't forget that even keyhole surgery is a major upheaval internally, even though it looks neater!)

I am sure he will soon be feeling so much better. Keep yourself busy this afternoon as it will be a long one. Thinking of you both :x::x:

Salgal

Hi @Welly68 sending you both Gentle hugs, it will be a long day for you no doubt try and keep busy if you can much love :x::x:

annie50C

Hi @Welly68 so glad you went in ! Good luck xxx lots of love xxx Annie :x::x::x:

mem

Sorry to hear that @Welly68. That did cross my mind when I read your post 😞 Fingers all crossed for you both - just think this time tomorrow that pesky tumour will be no more and hubby will be on his way to recovery!
Best wishes to you both :x::x:

charleyb

Gosh i am so glad you went to A&E, everything crossed that this goes smoothly, take very good care and please keep us updated! Take care of yourself too @Welly68 :x::x::x:

m_1

@Welly68 I'm really sorry to hear this, but so relieved that you did go to A&E, so now he's getting the care he needs. Would have been worse if you'd waited so hope it's some comfort that you did the right thing! All the best.

greyhound gal

Hi @Welly68, I hope the operation has gone well today?
Mine was an emergency op too, so have a lovely big scar down my middle. I’ve been using Bio oil on mine and it’s not so red anymore.
I hope your husband recovers well and his stay in hospital isn’t too long
Best wishes, Wendy :x::x:

Jomo9

@Welly68 pleased to hear that you got everything examined and the operation was brought forward. I had open surgery as well, at least it enables a good look around. My scar has healed fine and just Stacey Stoma is a bit naughty occasionally. She got a little upset on the park swings this morning...🤣:x::x:

Bear G

Hi @Welly68
So good you went in to get him checked out and that they acted and brought his op forward. Hope it went well and you’re both breathing more easily now.

Please don’t worry about the op not being keyhole. When I had my resection the plan was to go keyhole but my tumour was huge so they had to open me up. The scar is now only 3-4 inches and I never had a problem with it healing. Fingers crossed it’ll be the same for your hubby.

Big hugs
Bear
:x::x:

jj

@Welly68
Good thing you brought him to the hospital to be checked out. Hope he is recovering well from the surgery. Do keep us updated.
Best wishes

determinedjoan

Wishing ur dear husband a steady & full recovery :x:

Welly68

Thanks again everyone and for the reassurance re not having keyhole surgery. Seems like the tumour was bigger than they expected, and we're definitely looking at chemo, but at least the first bit is done (albeit not in quite the way we'd expected!).

He's been in a lot of pain today so they're trying to sort that out now, hopefully by tomorrow that will be under control.

Thanks again for the kind thoughts - it's really nice to have found this forum! :x:

Lizalou

Hi @Welly68
Glad the worst bit is over, hopefully he will start to feel better very soon. Don't even think about the chemo, just concentrate on building up strength and fitness.

Lots of us have coped ok with chemo and the extra reassurance it brings is worth it.

Best wishes for you both :x::x:

determinedjoan

Wishing him a steady, full recovery. Thinking of u both & sending love, hugs & healing vibes :x: