Your blogs

Northwesterly

Evidence to Support the Need for Monitoring your Dose of 5-FU Chemotherapy

I have written a blog that describes our journey through my wife’s colorectal cancer over the past 12 months and what I discovered about the way 5-FU is dosed in the UK.

My latest blog post provides a table of evidence to suggest that instead of using a Body Surface Area (BSA) calculation alone, to make up your dose, Therapeutic Drug Monitoring (TDM) could be used to adjust the dose to make sure it is the right dose for you.

I have now had a meeting with a senior oncologist at The Christie who tells me I am completely correct about what I have found out and that gives me great confidence in continuing my campaign for change.

If you would like to read about our journey and the evidence I have found to support the need for TDM, please visit my blog page.

exposingoncology.blogspot.com

Regards

Trünky

What a compelling story.
I have had my doubts about adjuvant chemotherapy since being about half way through 12 cycles of it. It is about the only treatment in medicine that starts at the maximum dose without knowing its efficacy; to now know that the calculation they are using to work out dosing is either over dosing or under dosing patients is extremely worrying.
Have you approached NICE with your findings/experience?

Northwesterly

I have indeed - and everyone else I can find who could make a change for the better, below the level of the Chief Medical Officer! I have to give everyone a chance to respond - and that takes ages - before I write to him, if no one is willing to move towards TDM. I hope I don’t have to do that, or write to my MP, or take it to the press, or hand out leaflets outside cancer centres in the UK, but I will if I have to!
I had a meeting with a very senior oncologist at The Christie on the matter last week and he told me I am absolutely correct in everything I have to say on the matter; he has tried to do something about it himself in the past. Now I know I’m right, there will be no stopping me. This is oncology’s dirty little secret and it’s time it was exposed for what it is. The more people who complain and question it, the more likely something will be done about it. I find it quite scandalous myself.

LL

All power to you @Northwesterly!

Liz