New to the community?

dan2k7

Terrified of blood in stool

Hi guys sorry this is my first post and not a very positive one. My history is I have had IBS for 8/9 years.

Over past few months I had noticed change in bowel habits from what I was used to. Went to see doctor yesterday and he advised bloods in first instance.

When I went back to work, I had a bowel movement and the toilet bowl was covered in bloody diarrhoea. I went back and told the nurse who took bloods. She emailed the doctor who said he wanted to see me this morning. I have had another movement this morning and this one has blood clots in it.

I know it’s early to speculate but does this sound like cancer? I’m terrified.

dan2k7

Thanks Gypsy, very kind honest words. Is it really that bad having the colonoscopy? I will be having the sedation. I think it will help.

Gypsy

Dear dan2k7, most people just find it uncomfortable at worst but of course, there is a variation in people's experience, as with all things like that. The sedation does help as it relaxes you and since you are nervous, it is the best thing for you. Listen, I truly hope that there is nothing there but if there is and you look at the screen, then remember it is hugely magnified. It sounds obvious but if you are in a state, then you can forget things like that. I never looked at the screen as did not want to see the tumour (but knew there was one as biopsies were being taken) and I'm glad I didn't really but other people have found it quite fascinating! Each to their own! You'll get through it and they will be very kind to you and totally hope and pray that there is nothing untoward in you. :x::x:

Floss07

Hi, I was diagnosed with a cancer, but thanks to the colonoscopy they picked it up early. I had a right sided hemi colectomy, was Stage 1, no bag, no chemo - they say surgery was curative. Only cloud on horizon - and I feel better than I have done for at least 8 years, is they have referred me to genetics at Southampton as they suspect it may be hereditary. I also had what I was told was IBS for years, but since bowel op have had no symptoms, so it has made me wonder a bit. To reassure you the op wasn't so bad and I got over it pretty quickly - and in the run up to the colonoscopy was told it could be many other things - in fact the colorectal nurse where I was in Bournemouth said that of all the colonoscopies they do each week, only about 300 or so each year turn out to be a cancer. The waiting area was full in the time I was there so they must do a couple of thousand or more. I can understand the dread, but three things I have learned is that not knowing is worse, even if the news is not what you want to hear it isn't always that bad, and thirdly this site shows evidence of amazing people overcoming really poor prognosis, and still remaining so supportive of everyone else.

Floss07

Just remembered you asked about symptoms - stomach cramps and pains for years and irregular bowel habit put down to IBS by several GPs, but nothing else. Following a routine blood test it was picked up I was anaemic, and they did more tests which resulted in my being referred within 2 weeks for a colonoscopy. Although sedated I was looking at the screen and could see the tumour so knew immediately. In a funny way I was relieved because with all the stomach cramps I had convinced myself it was an incurable stomach cancer, and bowel cancer turned out to be so much more treatable. Everyone on here will tell you it is the waiting that is the worst. They are right!!

bettebette
Quote from @dan2k7:
Thank you for taking time to type that. It’s very helpful. Daft question but is it that painful doing so many bowel movements? I hadn’t considered needing sudocrem etc

Hi @dan2k7 the prep does cause your whole bowel and gut to empty so yes you may end up with a sore bottom 😳
Some people like to use wet wipes (Andrex or similar) certainly very dry wiping can make matters worse (sorry this sounds v grim) Definitely get some cream of some sort, Vaseline is my choice 😳

dan2k7

Thank you gypsy, I won’t look at the screen. Would rather Just hear what they have to say after. Fingers crossed it’s nothing.

Quote from @Gypsy:
Dear dan2k7, most people just find it uncomfortable at worst but of course, there is a variation in people's experience, as with all things like that. The sedation does help as it relaxes you and since you are nervous, it is the best thing for you. Listen, I truly hope that there is nothing there but if there is and you look at the screen, then remember it is hugely magnified. It sounds obvious but if you are in a state, then you can forget things like that. I never looked at the screen as did not want to see the tumour (but knew there was one as biopsies were being taken) and I'm glad I didn't really but other people have found it quite fascinating! Each to their own! You'll get through it and they will be very kind to you and totally hope and pray that there is nothing untoward in you.

dan2k7
Quote from @bettebette:
Hi @dan2k7 the prep does cause your whole bowel and gut to empty so yes you do end up with a sore bottom 😳
Some people like to use wet wipes (Andrex or similar) certainly very dry wiping can make matters worse (sorry this sounds v grim) Definitely get some cream of some sort, Vaseline is my choice 😳

Thanks for the warning, I will get some cream and wet wipes.

dan2k7
Quote from @Floss07:
Just remembered you asked about symptoms - stomach cramps and pains for years and irregular bowel habit put down to IBS by several GPs, but nothing else. Following a routine blood test it was picked up I was anaemic, and they did more tests which resulted in my being referred within 2 weeks for a colonoscopy. Although sedated I was looking at the screen and could see the tumour so knew immediately. In a funny way I was relieved because with all the stomach cramps I had convinced myself it was an incurable stomach cancer, and bowel cancer turned out to be so much more treatable. Everyone on here will tell you it is the waiting that is the worst. They are right!!

Did you have any back pain with your IBS that you had over the years? With being anaemia we’re you a lot more tired or was it not really noticeable. Sorry for all the questions I’m just trying to work out what is a red flag and what is possibly harmless.

bettebette

Hi @dan2k7 you will find a great many different stories on this site with a great many different symptoms and outcomes, you really will have a better idea by Tuesday, and as @Floss07 says many, many colonoscopies are done with a much smaller amount being diagnosed as cancer.
If you do want to read peoples’ profiles click on their name and they will appear, bear in mind that those who have had good/negative results usually go from this site and therefore are not so obvious; during my time using this forum a great many people have come and gone after a successful (ie clear) colonoscopy - and indeed after initial treatment, so take heart.
Best wishes for Tuesday.

dan2k7
Quote from @bettebette:
Hi @dan2k7 you will find a great many different stories on this site with a great many different symptoms and outcomes, you really will have a better idea by Tuesday, and as @Floss07 says many, manycolonoscopies are done with a much smaller amount being diagnosed as cancer.
If you do want to read peoples’ profiles click on their name and they will appear, bear in mind that those who have had good/negative results usually go from this site and therefore are not so obvious; during my time using this forum a great many people have come and gone after a successful (ie clear) colonoscopy - and indeed after initial treatment, so take heart.
Best wishes for Tuesday.

Thank you for your kind words. I will try and not stress about it and just take it easy over weekend.

Floss07

Hi again. To answer your question, I have a chronic back problem anyway so wouldn't have known any difference, my IBS manifested with severe stomach cramps and burning high in abdomen, nothing else. I am getting older so didn't so much feel tired as thought age was meaning I was wearing out! Interestingly once told I was severely anaemic (I had to have an iron transfusion), I then had dizzy spells, I am still a bit anaemic but it is improving. Other than that no symptoms at all that were out of the ordinary, but if you read people's stories, everyone is different. There are so many other conditions you could have other than cancer so until the colonoscopy you can't second guess. I am still on the site, despite being stage 1, because I am learning so much from the people on here, but Bettebette is right, there seem to be far fewer people in early stages on here, and of course, non cancerous conditions don't really feature. Incidentally, because I took advice from people on here and prepared myself for colonoscopy, I didn't even get a sore posterior! It will all take its course.

Ninatoo

I have noticed that the norm in the UK seems to be awareness during the colonoscopy procedure but here in Melbourne Australia light sedation is given, usually enough to have you not recall anything. I actually requested being more sedated than that because my mother had told me her frightening story of becoming aware during the procedure and also I myself had become aware during a previous surgery. I don't remember a thing about my colonoscopy. Can you ask for stronger sedation in the UK to alleviate anxiety?

dan2k7
Quote from @Floss07:
Hi again. To answer your question, I have a chronic back problem anyway so wouldn't have known any difference, my IBS manifested with severe stomach cramps and burning high in abdomen, nothing else. I am getting older so didn't so much feel tired as thought age was meaning I was wearing out! Interestingly once told I was severely anaemic (I had to have an iron transfusion), I then had dizzy spells, I am still a bit anaemic but it is improving. Other than that no symptoms at all that were out of the ordinary, but if you read people's stories, everyone is different. There are so many other conditions you could have other than cancer so until the colonoscopy you can't second guess. I am still on the site, despite being stage 1, because I am learning so much from the people on here, but Bettebette is right, there seem to be far fewer people in early stages on here, and of course, non cancerous conditions don't really feature. Incidentally, because I took advice from people on here and prepared myself for colonoscopy, I didn't even get a sore posterior! It will all take its course.

Thank you Floss. I will stop speculating and just wait for Tuesday.

RT54

Hi @dan2k7 A little tip here is to not be too polite during the colonoscopy; and let rip whenever necessary.I caused myself unnecessary discomfort during my initial colonoscopy by not wanting to be rude.
Last colonoscopy was totally painless and was very long as well as the Dr kept going backwards and forwards trying to find a polyp he couldn,t find again! Didn't even use anything no gas/air etc albeit I have considerably less bowel than before.

dan2k7

Thanks for that, I guess the staff must be used to it all the time? How many staff are usually present on this type of thing?

RT54

Initial colonoscopy there were about 3 there including the Dr.Filled up with a few more people though when the discovery was made.I knew immediately I had cancer judging by the reactions/comments.
Last colonoscopy only had the Dr(who also happened to be my surgeon) and a nurse.

Gypsy

Dear @dan2k7, just to say they do put in some air during colonoscopy as this shows things up better. Some of this can get trapped and cause discomfort afterwards until it dissipates. It's a pest but it can take a few hours to subside- just a heads up really. Yes, the staff do so many colonoscopies and I have always found both doctors and nurses to be very kind and caring and understanding, knowing that this is stressful and embarrassing for patients.

dan2k7

Thank you Gypsy, would rather have as many facts as possible. I just need to stop stressing and get on with it. I can’t change anything at this stage and need to accept it.

jj

@dan2k7 you should be more like my husband, he wasn’t interested and he didn’t want to know any details. I was the one who had to push for answers, get appointments, follow up things when I saw there was an issue! You ask my husband, he will say he is perfectly fine! Read profile and you will know what he has been through!
So do try and do something that will take your mind off it. I got a lot of stuff done around the house that I had kept putting it off for another day. I didn’t sleep well for weeks, and my husband slept fine. So lots of things at home got a spring clean, lot of mending done, etc...
All the very best and let us know the outcome of your colonoscopy.
Regards

dan2k7

Hi guys, had colonoscopy today. Results are that there is mild inflammation in sigmoid, recriminations and caecum. They have taken biopsies to do tests? Not sure what this means. Anyone had similar results?