General discussion

helena

Some help please with type of BC

Today I finally had the courage to ask my oncologist what type of mutation I am (I'm a head in the sand type) and he told me I'm RAS mutant and BRAF wild type. He has inferred in the past that these types are not suitable for immunotherapy and I'm not eligible certain chemotherapies. At present I'm on fortnightly Irinotecan with the addition of Aflicerbet which is working well but I wonder what options would be available to me in the future?

Bear G

@HH79 could you help answer @helena questions? You know more about these things than most.
:x::x:

angepange

Hi @helena , there are other threads about this I think. If you type in Ras mutant and braf I think they will all come up. It’s a topic much discussed, and there were a group of people with similar diagnosis I think? Cheers. Angie :x::x::x:

HH79

Hi @Bear G thanks - hi @helena so if says wild type that means you haven’t got it eg BRAF wild type means not BRAF - which is good. Sounds like you are RAS mutant? Sorry I don’t know about RAS but get in touch with your team to clarify what you can / can’t have eg Cetuximibab. Lots love :x::x:

helena

Thanks @Bear G @angepange @HH79 it's such a minefiel but many thanks for helping. It's something I was scared to ask about before now so I must be getting braver. xx.

Bear G

Thanks @HH79
In that case @helena , you’re like me - RAS mutant.

There is evidence that some biological and immunity treatments, such as cetuximab and panitumumab doesn’t work well for us.

Others, like Avastin (bevacizumab) can work, it’s worked for me and I’ve just gone past the 6 year mark.

It may be that you don’t need anything more than the treatment you’ve been receiving, especially as it’s working so well for you.
And in the future, who knows what’ll be around, there have already been so many advances since I was diagnosed!

There’s always hope!

Big hugs
Bear
:x::x:

helena

Thanks @Bear G - according to my oncologist my current chemo is very similar to Avastin. There seems to be so many treatments available now and I read about a girl who has had fabulous results on the Beacon trial and I think her genetic mutation is similar to ours.
Hope springs eternal. Hugs, Helena :x::x:

HH79

Hi @helena no the Beacon 3 is specific to Braf, not ras - sorry :x::x:
(@bear G)
Night all :x::x:

helena

Hi @HH79 - oh dear, still it's very encouraging for BRAF. I've got a lot to learn.............
Nighty from me too :x::x::x: