General discussion

Coppertop

Not sure what to do

Hi everyone, been on antibiotics since monday for deep tissue infection on my thumb, been having plenty of bm since Tuesday but last night it was so bad that it was very similar to taking moviprep and plenty of cramping, on the leaflet for the tablets I noticed it said serious side effects can be inflammation of the bowel, I have decided to stop the tablets and am now waiting to see how things go today, what would your advice be :x::x:

Coppertop

Forgot to mention that I had a sigmoid colectomy end of February :x::x:

Baxter2

Hi @Coppertop

If you've decided to stop your antibiotics, I would be inclined to seek medical advice too. Are you currently on chemotherapy? If so, do you have a chemo helpline? If not, you could seek advice by calling out of hours service for advice? Following this, I'd be perhaps inclined to speak to the prescriber about what to do next since the infection will probably need an alternative antibiotic or restarting the same one depending on their advice.

Please let us know how things go if you can?

Best wishes

Karen 💛💚💙❤️💜

DianeS

Hi @Coppertop I agree with @Baxter2, as antibiotics are a prescribed course, you should inform your prescriber that you have stopped taking them and for the reasons you have described.
I hope you manage to sort this out ASAP.
Diane :x::x::x:

Coppertop

Hi @Baxter2 and @DianeS, thank you for your advice, well what a weekend its been, spoken to gp who advised to leave the antibiotics out of the picture and keep an eye on my thumb, in the hope that I almost completed 5 days out of 7 of antibiotics so hopefully it will now clear up, after my complete clear out on friday I am now constipated, I just want my life to go back to how it was a year ago but I don't think that's going to happen. No I didn't need chemo. I am just counting the weeks til the next CEA blood test :x::x:

DianeS

Hi @Coppertop, so pleased you have a response from your GP and I hope the thumb clears up soon. It’s so hard when your world has been turned upside down but it’s brilliant that you didn’t need chemo. Try a gentle laxitive for your constipation, but if that doesn’t resolve it pop along to your doctor. When is your next CEA test? :x::x:

Coppertop

Hi @DianeS, not til end of September but it just seems to be getting closer very quickly, it seemed easier at the beginning of the 6 months compared to now only being weeks away if you know what I mean :x::x:

DianeS

I do know what you mean @Coppertop. It’s easier to put it out of your mind when it’s far away, but as it gets nearer it all comes flooding back. Wishing you lots of luck when the date arrives :x::x::x::x::x: