Just diagnosed

Susie W

Dilemma

I am new to this Forum. Had a rectal polyp removed which had cancer in it. It came out cleanly and scans showed no sign of spread. However there was evidence of lymphatic invasion. Surgeon calculated risk of lymph node deposits at 20% versus 80% chance I am clear. He advises abdominoperineal resection and permanent colostomy, but says I could opt for active surveillance. What do I do ? Going potty trying to decide. Wouls a second opinion help?

Lirio345

Hello there @Susie W, first of all welcome to the forum; I am sure you will find it helpful and informative.

Having said that I have no experience of APR although I do have a colostomy. However I do think that you are in a slightly difficult position and I think in this case a second opinion would be useful. There is plenty of experience on here about the various centres of excellence if you are happy to indicate roughly where you live.

Hopefully some other folk will be along with some experience of APR. Take very good care and please stay in touch, Kim :x::x:

Baxter2

Hi @Susie W and welcome to the forum!

What a dilemma indeed! I tend to agree in that a second opinion would be really useful in this situation. I don't have experience of either APR surgery or having a stoma so can't really help there.

I hope you manage to come to a decision that feels right for you.

Best wishes

Karen ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’šโค๏ธ

palace1960

HI @Susie W I had APR surgery in 2016 due to low rectal cancer. Prior to the op I had 5 weeks of chemo/radiotherapy to which I had a very good response, so good in fact there was talk from my consultant of putting me on active surveillance but before going down that route he wanted to take some biopsies from the tumour site. Unfortunately the results showed cells with dysplasia which means there was a very high probability the tumour would regrow so I went ahead and had the op. I won't lie, its a tough op as well as life changing in that I have a permanent stoma but I do everything if not more that I did prior to diagnosis. I mange my stoma by irrigation so gives me control. There are a few of us on here that I have had APR @Stillme springs to mind and I'm sure they will be a long to give you their experiences soon. Good luck with whatever you decide, please feel free to sdend me a PM me if you have any questions. Best Wishes Ron :x::x:

Stillme

Hi @Susie W and thank you @palace for referring me as you know this is close to my heart. I wonโ€™t bore you with too much text to read but do take a look at my profile as you will see I was in almost identical situation. I hadnโ€™t though of getting a second opinion but in a way wish I had as my consultant said that he didnโ€™t know what he would do in my situation. Long story short and I had the surgery, was terrified I would regret it especially as my scans were clear but turns out they found cancer in four lymph nodes which never would have been found otherwise. I cannot tell you how glad I am I went ahead. Please feel free to ask anything :x::x::x: