What do you think of the forum?
Take part in our survey and let us know your views.

Welcome to our forum

SteveQ

Newbie to the forum: Hi to all

Hi,
Newbie user to the forum saying Hi and wishing a good morning to all 😊 Looks like an amazing forum that provides much needed support and info 😊😊

About me: I have just had a colonoscopy and am awaiting results. However it looks like I have a tumor in the upper right transverse colon.
I have been told that it will take 7 to 9 days for my results to come through. Is that slow? Obvs I would like them ASAP and 9 days of doing nothing is hard.

I would welcome any hints or tips as to what to be doing at this early stage, particularly anything to do/join/diet/info resources at the start. Also, anything around the initial diagnosis and next steps including getting the right consultant/team. Many thanks!

Floss07

Hi, I had to wait about 10 days for scan results, didn't get wait for a result from colonoscopy as clearly saw the tumour on screen though they did take a sample. So, had colonoscopy on 25th May, CT scan about two weeks later with appointment same day confirming diagnosis, iron transfusion a few days later and op on 26th June. The waiting is really hard.
Hope all goes well for you.

Lirio345

Good morning @SteveQ and welcome to the forum. Everyone on here can empathise with the agony of waiting for results but the only thing you can do is keep busy and do one day at a time.

Please don’t google apart from sites such as Cancer Research and Macmillan as there is a lot rubbish and out of date statistics out there.

BCUK publishes a number of really helpful booklets and there is a link below to one that I think you will find helpful (Others in top right hand corner).

Healthy eating and exercise, even just walking will help prepare for any treatment that lies ahead. Take very good care and stay in touch, Kim x

bowelcancerorguk.s3.amazonaws.com/...ons/YourPathway_BowelCancerUK.pdf

Gypsy

Hi @SteveQ, I'm sorry that you find yourself here but you have come to the right place and my advice would be just to keep on here and keep posting any questions, feelings, anxieties etc as we have all been through them and understand, totally. Everyone, without exception, finds the waiting hard but actually things are moving quickly, it just won't seem so to you. The thing to remember is that you could well have had the tumour for years (many of us do) and so a wait of a week or so makes absolutely no clinical difference, just an emotional one. There are, in any case, guidelines for dealing with this and your hospital will adhere to them.You will have a CT scan very soon and that is standard. All hospitals and colorectal surgeons are sadly experts in dealing with bowel cancer as so many have it so I personally doubt that there is anything to be gained by you 'shopping around' for a surgeon/team at this stage and it would quite likely delay things to go to another hospital. There is a pretty uniform approach to treatment, of course depending on what your individual circumstances are. You will be feeling shocked and worried but you will get your head around it and be ready for treatment. Do plenty of nice, distracting things and yes, eat well, sleep well and remember, you are not alone in this. Gypsyx

Hans

@SteveQ Hi and welcome here. Sorry to hear of this believe me!! This must be a total shock to you and your family. The hospital will be following the NICE guidelines and although they may seem slow behind the scenes they are creating a care plan for you. They think long term and I recall feeling hmmf at how slow they seem to go - they have got my wife clear into remission.
Most of this journey is emotional and you will find the forum very helpful. The first thing is to get fit, as this will help any procedure and recovery.
I wish you the jolly best
Hans

Poppies

Hi @SteveQ, I just wanted to welcome you to the forum, as all the advice above is good, the waiting is awful. I believed that everything would change the day I went for my results, the anxiety and worry I had at the time would change nothing. I tried to enjoy every day, the simple things, time with loved ones and adopted a philosophy of not letting tomorrow spoil today and tried to keep my mind in the present. Can't succeed all of the time, but it helped me and ensured we as a family had some joy. I found this forum a huge support in my stressful moments.
Keep in touch and wishing you all the best. Px

SteveQ
Quote from @Gypsy:
Hi @SteveQ, I'm sorry that you find yourself here but you have come to the right place and my advice would be just to keep on here and keep posting any questions, feelings, anxieties etc as we have all been through them and understand, totally. Everyone, without exception, finds the waiting hard but actually things are moving quickly, it just won't seem so to you. The thing to remember is that you could well have had the tumour for years (many of us do) and so a wait of a week or so makes absolutely no clinical difference, just an emotional one. There are, in any case, guidelines for dealing with this and your hospital will adhere to them.You will have a CT scan very soon and that is standard. All hospitals and colorectal surgeons are sadly experts in dealing with bowel cancer as so many have it so I personally doubt that there is anything to be gained by you 'shopping around' for a surgeon/team at this stage and it would quite likely delay things to go to another hospital. There is a pretty uniform approach to treatment, of course depending on what your individual circumstances are. You will be feeling shocked and worried but you will get your head around it and be ready for treatment. Do plenty of nice, distracting things and yes, eat well, sleep well and remember, you are not alone in this. Gypsyx

Hi Gypsy,
So nice to see several people replying to my newbie post so quickly 😊 Many thanks for the advice, thank goodness I can get such a calm, informed view in my current chaotic mental state 😊

SteveQ
Quote from @Floss07:
Hi, I had to wait about 10 days for scan results, didn't get wait for a result from colonoscopy as clearly saw the tumour on screen though they did take a sample. So, had colonoscopy on 25th May, CT scan about two weeks later with appointment same day confirming diagnosis, iron transfusion a few days later and op on 26th June. The waiting is really hard.
Hope all goes well for you.

Hi exactly the info I needed ☺ I had my colon scan and I too unfortunately saw it right there on screen. I had a CT scan at same time. I have a 7cm tumour. What op did you have- did they just remove the tumour? If you don't mind me asking

SteveQ
Quote from @Poppies:
Hi @SteveQ, I just wanted to welcome you to the forum, as all the advice above is good, the waiting is awful. I believed that everything would change the day I went for my results, the anxiety and worry I had at the time would change nothing. I tried to enjoy every day, the simple things, time with loved ones and adopted a philosophy of not letting tomorrow spoil today and tried to keep my mind in the present. Can't succeed all of the time, but it helped me and ensured we as a family had some joy. I found this forum a huge support in my stressful moments.
Keep in touch and wishing you all the best. Px

Hi Poppies,
Many thanks for reaching out- am at the very beginning and your kind thoughts mean a lot to me. Yes, I need to get my head straight as to philosophy and family and how I can keep busy and positive :x:

SteveQ
Quote from @Lirio345:
Good morning @SteveQ and welcome to the forum. Everyone on here can empathise with the agony of waiting for results but the only thing you can do is keep busy and do one day at a time.

Please don’t google apart from sites such as Cancer Research and Macmillan as there is a lot rubbish and out of date statistics out there.

BCUK publishes a number of really helpful booklets and there is a link below to one that I think you will find helpful (Others in top right hand corner).

Healthy eating and exercise, even just walking will help prepare for any treatment that lies ahead. Take very good care and stay in touch, Kim :x:

bowelcancerorguk.s3.amazonaws.com/...ons/YourPathway_BowelCancerUK.pdf

@Lirio345 Hi Kim, many thanks for reaching out - much appreciated. Also a very good point to not google around- I already did that and it was not a positive experience 😊 Many thanks for the links you kindly provided :x:

SteveQ
Quote from @Hans:
@SteveQ Hi and welcome here. Sorry to hear of this believe me!! This must be a total shock to you and your family. The hospital will be following the NICE guidelines and although they may seem slow behind the scenes they are creating a care plan for you. They think long term and I recall feeling hmmf at how slow they seem to go - they have got my wife clear into remission.
Most of this journey is emotional and you will find the forum very helpful. The first thing is to get fit, as this will help any procedure and recovery.
I wish you the jolly best
Hans

Hi Hans,
Many thanks for reaching out- much appreciated 😊 I am a runner so I am thinking of keeping up light running when path permits. I also have to sort out my diet as even with light running I may start losing weight cos I don't know what is best to eat and I am not eating enough.
Many thanks, Steve

cyclingjohnny

hi @SteveQ sorry you have had to join the club that no one want's to be a member of, you will be well supported by the fantastic and knowledgeable people on this forum, if you click on people's name you will usually see the paths of people's journey so far, don't be afraid to ask any questions as nothing is to embarrassing, wishing you well on your journey, cheers john.

Siona

Hi @SteveQ, the wait is the worst part and I found it helpful to keep busy. I have two small children so they kept/keep me on my toes and had guests while I was waiting for the results so being busy was not a problem. Also being prepared in the way of exercising and eating healthy, this way you feel you’re doing something positive. All the best :x::x:

Gypsy

Dear @SteveQ, as you are runner you will already be in good shape for treatment and being fit stands you in good stead. Yes, I think it will be a balance just now- running good mentally but no, don't be losing weight. Even if it goes against the grain, relax a bit on eating and exercise, listen to your body and to medical advice etc. Thinking of you.:x:

Baxter2

Good afternoon @SteveQ and welcome to the forum from me too!

I can see you've already had some lovely replies and advice so there's little for me to add I guess! Keeping busy, distracted and challenging any negative thoughts and emotions is about as much as you could be doing just now. The wait is torture but day by day you'll get through it.

Sending loads of love and good wishes

Karen 💚💜💙❤️💛

jj

@SteveQ sorry that you have found yourself here as a result of the tumour, trust me, this forum has kept me sane. Even though my husband has been given the all clear without chemo or radiotherapy, I still come in to see how everyone is doing, and to add my support to all.
Waiting has been the worst part of the whole thing. My husband being the one with the cancer keeps his head in the sand and will not talk about it. So I really needed someone to help me cope and give me directions, information etc, and believe me I found all of it and more.
However during the waiting stage, lots of my cupboards/wardrobes got a thorough clean out, any and all cobwebs around the house was cleared, did quite a few of diy around the house, all this beside cooking, washing etc and on those sleepless nights, Netflix, on demand tv programmes.
Fear and anxiety are instinctual especially when faced with the possibility that our lives are possibly going to be changed. However, it is never as bad as worst fears, thoughts and perceptions. But it does cause our body harm if we remain in this stressful state for long periods of time. So let’s be constructive and put that fear and anxiety to work. That’s been my philosophy and that’s how I have coped with so much over my life.
Keep us informed. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers

Carrie

Welcome @SteveQ. The waiting really is the worst part, I'm afraid. Your mind just runs away with itself, unfortunately. I was around 10 days from scope to getting results, so likely average wait. There will be days better than others during your wait. As others have said, try to keep busy. Use this forum for support/advice. There are other places you can tap into, such as MacMillan/Cancer Research. You will feel better once you've got your results... weirdly!! It's like you've re-gained some sort of power, knowing what your plan is to beat this horrible tumour. Wishing you all the best. C.:x:

wales

Hi Steve
It looks like your case is the same as my wife’s, How are things?, have you had your operation yet ?

Nick1928

Hi Steve,

The waiting is the worst, I found (from advice on this forum) that doing things you enjoy helped, a cinema trip, out for a meal etc.
Aside from that, I knew I was going to have an op so I increased my daily walks and also went swimming to get 'match fit' , it definitely helped my recovery (now 2.5 weeks post op.)
Exercise also has that excellent side benefit of lifting your mood as well.
I hope everything works out for you.

Regards
Nick