What do you think of the forum?
Take part in our survey and let us know your views.

Welcome to our forum

jc

Recently Diagnosed

Hi Everyone.
I have recently been diagnosed and saw my surgeon last week who wants me to have a course of chemo/radiotherapy treatment to shrink the tumour before he can decide if surgery can take place.
Today I received the appointment to see an oncologist on Friday .
Is there any advise on questions I should ask the oncologist.
Also my daughter is due to have her first baby in 3 weeks and I want to travel to Scotland from Wales to be with her and support her at this precious time. Is it reasonable for me to ask the oncologist to give me a couple of weeks with my daughter before treatment .

Gypsy

Hi @jc. I am so sorry that you have had this diagnosis- we all know what a shock it all is. Please do ask the oncologist- I would certainly do that. How lovely that there is a first baby on the way for your daughter. I hope it all goes well for her and I am sure it will. Wishing you all the best with everything and please keep us up-dated. Lots on here have had the treatment you are to have and will give support.
Love Gypsyxx

Lirio345

Hello @jc, welcome to the forum although of course you would rather not be here. That is such exciting news about the imminent birth of your grand child, but certainly I agree that the best thing to do is check with your oncologist about your plans. Please take very good care and stay in touch, Kim :x::x:

determinedjoan

V sorry you’ve had to join our club but you’re in the right place for brilliant, up-to-date info, understanding, practical advice & support.
Great 👍 news about ur daughter; personally I would just tell Onc you’ll see her/him when u get back, but of course it’s your call not mine. Either way, sending u love & hugs & lots to look forward to ! :x:

jc

Thanking everyone for kind welcome.
I went to my first appointment today with the oncologist.
I have been diagnosed with rectal cancer but one of the lymph nodes is not in a great place for surgery L3 was mentioned . The surgeon wants them to shrink before surgery and then a stoma bag for 6 months. So today was an overwhelming amount of information to take on board regarding radiotherapy, chemotherapy and all the side effects.
I told the consultant that my daughter was due to have her first baby on the 10th october and I wanted to support her before treatment. As long as I have a scan to prepare me for treatment there will be a 2/3 week gap before radio/chemo starts.
So hoping they give me the scan next week then I can go to Scotland.
The timing is perfect so fingers crossed that baby is not early .
I just feel this is such a precious moment for me to see my first grandchild.
No doubt I will be asking more questions and advice from the forum but there is so much information to absorb from the last 2 weeks.

Love and Hugs

julia :x:

Carrie

Welcome to the forum @jc. Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but glad you've found this forum, where you'll receive lots of advice and support. Hopefully you'll get your scan soon, to allow you to welcome your precious grandchild into the world; how exciting. C.:x:

determinedjoan

Yes, v precious time with ur daughter & Grandchild; enjoy !
Indeed, a great deal to take in; one day at a time . Thinking of u & hoping it all pans out 4 u. Love & hugs

Lawyer1

Hello @jc i just finished 5weeks of radiotherapy and chemotherapy form of tablets. The side effect info given by the oncologist is frightening but they have to cover themselves legally and need to cover all possible side effects. You can control alot of the common side effects with diet control. Light exercise helps and after radiotherapy you get fatique so getting one hour sleep helps but dont sleep after eating like i did and had acid reflux. For nausea which is common take half a glass of ginger beer or ginger water. Try to control without taking the medicine they suggest. If you get diarrhoea take half glass of Lucozade or sprite that puts salt back and eat 2 slices of white bread toast that normally stops the diarrhoea. For constipation take food with fibre etc: hope this helps. Good luck

jc
Quote from @Lawyer1:
Hello @jc i just finished 5weeks of radiotherapy and chemotherapy form of tablets. The side effect info given by the oncologist is frightening but they have to cover themselves legally and need to cover all possible side effects. You can control alot of the common side effects with diet control. Light exercise helps and after radiotherapy you get fatique so getting one hour sleep helps but dont sleep after eating like i did and had acid reflux. For nausea which is common take half a glass of ginger beer or ginger water. Try to control without taking the medicine they suggest. If you get diarrhoea take half glass of Lucozade or sprite that puts salt back and eat 2 slices of white bread toast that normally stops the diarrhoea. For constipation take food with fibre etc: hope this helps. Good luck

Thanks Lawyer,
The advise and information you have given me will be very useful.
Great to get all this support before I start treatment.

foster mum

@jc, I too had to have chemo /radio therapy. Are you having this done in Swansea?

Lawyer1

Hello@ jc i know you properly getting alot of valuable info from this forum the members are very caring anc supportive. I just wanted to add that a smoothie in the morning containing blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, avocado, celery, cabbage, wheatgrass powder, coco powder, flaxseed, pumpkin, chia seed, piece of ginger. All these items are healthy and have cancer fighting ingredients. Good luck with your daughter's delivery seeing your first grandchild is a special moment you dont want to miss. My daughter gave birth to my first grandson in March 2019 and i really love him.

jc

Happy to announce the Birth of my first grandchild.
My daughter gave birth 10 days early to a beautiful baby boy named LUC Rhys weighing a healthy 7/11.
Mother and baby are doing great.
My husband spent all day on the phone yesterday trying to arrange a pre - radiotherpy scan date so that I can spend time with my daughter in Scotland and meet my new grandchild.
With the help of a wonderful secretary at Velindre hospital my appointment arrived today for a scan tomorrow afternoon.
Also bloods and pharmacist information chemo day have been re scheduled for a later date to allow me 2 weeks in Scotland. Treatment will start on the 22nd October but for now I am so happy to be meeting my first grandchild and family,it will be a wonderful distraction.
Thanking everyone for lots of help, support and tips.

jc
Quote from @foster mum:
@jc, I too had to have chemo /radio therapy. Are you having this done in Swansea?

Velindre Cancer centre

Floss07

Congratulations! How wonderful.

Ninatoo

Congratulations to you! How wonderful that you can spend time with your new grandson and daughter before your treatment! So pleased for you!

foster mum

@jc, my onc was mr. Vigg. Congratulations on the safe arrival of your grandson :x:

JerseyLily

@jc Congratulations on the birth of your grandson! My second grandson arrived in July, I was able to go and meet him in Scotland when he was 3 weeks old as my chemo had finished. I had a temporary ileostomy which has been reversed 5 weeks ago. I'm happy to give you any tips, don't hesitate to ask. :x:

Lirio345

Wonderful news @jc and great that the hospital has accommodated your visit to meet your new grandson. What a magical time you will have in Scotland! Take very good care, Kim :x::x:

bettebette

@jc Congratulations on the birth of your grandson, how lovely. Well done to your daughter. Enjoy your visit and best wishes :x::x::x:

Baxter2

Huge congratulations on the birth of your first grandson @jc

I hope you have a wonderful time visiting and please post a photo of you both if you can?

Sending lots of love

Karen 💛💚💙❤️💜