What do you think of the forum?
Take part in our survey and let us know your views.

Welcome to our forum

clarey

Recent diagnosis

Hi I’m new to this site . I’m 49 and just found out I have bowel cancer. I had my first CT scan yesterday so waiting to find out what stage I am at. I feel so terrified waiting for these results .
I started having symptoms in June this year, but it seems by what I’ve been reading ,this cancer like many others can be silent in symptoms. So I have no idea how long I’ve had it for really .
I am finding the waiting hard, as my mind goes everywhere . I’m sure you have had or are going through the same situation having the fear of the unknown.
I’m trying to take each day as it comes but some days are hard.
I feel for my children and husband and can’t imagine what they are going through. We are trying to keep one another strong

foster mum

Hi@Clarey, sorry you have had to join this forum. I think everyone on here will share the same feelings and fears you are experiencing.The waiting is horrid and once a plan has been organised by your team you actually feel a little better. Once I began treatment , I felt I was doing something my self to change things. It sounds like you will be a strong team, sending you all hugs, good luck :x:

Poppies

Hi @clarey, welcome to the forum. I think most will say this really is the most difficult of times and when you go for the results and the MDT have a plan of action, you will feel stronger; it is easier to deal with what you know I think.
During this awful time a multi discipline team is working behind the scenes to come up with the best treatment option for you.
I wondered if this wait made a differencefor me, the Consultant said the tumour had probably been there a very long time and we have to remember that bowel cancer can be one of the most treatable.

I had to constantly distract myself, so my mind didn't race away. I also made sure I enjoyed each day as must as possible, as I knew things would move fast following the next consultation.

You have found the right place for support and advice.

Thinking of you Px

Gypsy

Dear @clarey, I'm so sorry you've had the diagnosis but you are among friends here and with people who know how you feel. I agree with all of the above but also, in this time of waiting and when it gets hard, remind yourself constantly that this really is a treatable cancer and curable when caught early enough. There will be a treatment plan for you very soon and we will be with you every step of the way. Love and hugs, Gypsyxxxxxx

charleyb

Just sending you hugs and to say welcome from me too. Sorry you have had to join us but you have come to a really great forum! Ask anything, let off steam, rant and rave if necessary, everyone understands :x::x::x:

clarey

Thank you for your lovely encouraging messages. I’m not great at technology and trying to work around this site so apologies if I’m not replying in the right places. I read some replies to messages but can’t find the original message. I will work this out and hopefully can help support others on here too :x::x:

Tedsmum

Hi @clarey, I’m at the same point as you are. I had my CT scan 3 days ago, the MDT meeting was 2 days ago and I have an appointment with a surgeon next week to discuss findings. Whilst it is a difficult time at least it’s hopefully found early and we are heading in the right direction for treatment. Not looking forward to surgery but hopefully will be in a good place to enjoy Christmas with our children and grandchildren. :x::x:

Baxter2

Hello @clarey and welcome to the forum!

I'm so sorry to learn of your diagnosis but glad you've found this forum early on! The early days are pretty tough for sure! Most will tell you it's the worst time waiting to hear the treatment plan and imagining all sorts! Nighttime's can be worrying too with Busy minds going over and over it all and wondering what the future holds. The good news is, it does get easier to deal with once you know what's what! Also, you're in very good company here as we all completely 'get it'!

Please post and comment as often as you want and need to. You'll find this a very friendly and supportive community!

Please let us know how things go if you can?

Sending all my best wishes,

Karen 💚💛💙❤️💜

Carrie

Hi @clarey. Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Glad you've found this forum; it really was such a good support for me when I was at the stage you are now. And continues to be a support, knowing that people on here know exactly how you're feeling. Waiting on these results is just the worst. As hard as you try not to, your mind will be conjuring up the worst case scenarios!! I could only describe it as feeling as if I had been hit by a bus, then someone hit a pause button and left me in hell until I finally got results. You honestly will feel better once you know exactly what you're dealing with, and have a plan in place. You will have bad days, but try and get out walks and keep yourself busy. Kids are a very good distraction too. Sending positive vibes to you and @Tedsmum. Take care. C.:x:

Two Can Dan

Hi Clarey, and welcome.
Sorry to hear your news. As a patient and husband, we can be quite quiet about expressing things. Ensure your hubby knows there's support out there for him also, as well as your children. (including this forum).
I think we all deal with the news in our own way. Try and sleep as best you can though.
My aunt is a retired nurse and is to the point in these matters. I made up my mind early on that I'd do whatever it takes, as a husband and father.

Treatment can be a range of things, so try not to speculate if you can. That's not to say, don't read up on things. Whilst this goes on, there is the day to day running of a household, which, being honest, kind of helped my wife and I get through each stage.
"Scanxiety" would be this one.
I wish I had a pound every time a nurse said "Sharp scratch." :)

Take care and good luck.

annie50C

Keep going @clarey it is so scary at the start but when your plan is clear and you know what you are doing it does become more focused and easier to cope with. The waiting is always the worse. Love to you and strength xxx Annie :x::x::x:

Lirio345

Good morning @clarey and welcome to the forum from me. As everyone else has said, this stage of waiting is so very hard and my only advice would be to do one day at a time. Easy for me to say I know. Bizarrely you will feel better once you know what the treatment plan is.

Take very good care, Kim :x::x:

Ninatoo

Welcome to the forum @clarey . Just adding my best wishes to you and I hope you don't have to wait too long for your results.

JerseyLily

Hi @clarey Welcome to the forum, I hope that you find it as welcoming and helpful as I did in those early days and throughout my treatment. It's easy to say I know, but try not to worry - since my diagnosis I have found it easier to take one day, each step at a time. Focus on now and try not to think about worst case scenarios. Most of all, don't Google! Hope you get you results soon, it's easier once you have a treatment plan. :x:

clarey
Quote from @JerseyLily:
Hi @clarey Welcome to the forum, I hope that you find it as welcoming and helpful as I did in those early days and throughout my treatment. It's easy to say I know, but try not to worry - since my diagnosis I have found it easier to take one day, each step at a time. Focus on now and try not to think about worst case scenarios. Most of all, don't Google! Hope you get you results soon, it's easier once you have a treatment plan.

Thank you ❤️ :x::x::x:

clarey

Thank you ❤️ :x::x::x: