New to the community?

oneloopylady

Scared Granny!

Hi, Thank you for letting me join. I have had Diarrhea for almost 6 weeks, along with painful cramps, a bit of back pain in the lower back - the diarrhea is violent and explosive. I had tests for parasites and infection etc - and celiac disease (Sp) and nothing showed up.

Today the Dr said she is putting me on the urgent list for the camera because she wants to rule out bowel cancer. I asked her if thats what she was thinking it is and she said the usual, don't worry until we have to, but your symptoms could be.

Its difficult because she asks if I'm tired, suffering fatugue, but I'ma fibromyalgia and CFS sufferer - I'm always exhausted! I don't think I'm any more tired than usual.

I have had some pretty rapid weight loss in the past few months, and I wasn't trying (though I'm happy to have lost weight!).

I am diabetic - insulin dependent and had cancer of the cervix 25 years ago, which required radical surgery etc but nothing since. THere is no history of bowel cancer in the family.

So, what do you think? Is this the start of things to come? I would love to hear your thoughts on this and to know what I need to prepare for, if anything - as in, do they always operate or do they sometimes use just chemo etc? And will I end up with a stoma? Too many questions, I'm sorry!!

Lirio345

Good morning @oneloopylady and welcome to the forum. I am really sorry to hear about health - you certainly have a lot on you plate.

Your doctor is being thorough and there is no way of knowing what will be found. When you say a camera test I am assuming it will be a colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy. These tests can reveal all kinds of bowel problems - not just cancer.

This of course is the worst stage - waiting for tests and results, and all you can do is one day at a
time, keep busy if you can and don’t google - it will just panic you and so much of it is inaccurate or out of date.

Treatment of bowel Cancer is very individualised - often involves surgery and chemotherapy and no, a stoma is not always needed BUT - that is jumping ahead - there are many bowel conditions that can cause the symptoms you have.

Please stay in touch and take very good care, Kim :x::x:

Gypsy

Dear @onelooplady, I'm so sorry for all your worry, truly I am. So very hard though it is, none of us on here can speculate about your symptoms and unfortunately, you have to get through the wait for endoscopy which will decide this. There really are other causes though and the scope can and does rule cancer out for many. I hope and pray that will be you. Try to distract yourself as much as you can while you wait and don't jump ahead and remember, whatever the outcome you have friends on here who will do their best to support you but for me right now, well I'm hoping for good news for you! Love Gypsyxxxx

oneloopylady
Quote from @Gypsy:
Dear @onelooplady, I'm so sorry for all your worry, truly I am. So very hard though it is, none of us on here can speculate about your symptoms and unfortunately, you have to get through the wait for endoscopy which will decide this. There really are other causes though and the scope can and does rule cancer out for many. I hope and pray that will be you. Try to distract yourself as much as you can while you wait and don't jump ahead and remember, whatever the outcome you have friends on here who will do their best to support you but for me right now, well I'm hoping for good news for you! Love Gypsyxxxx

Thank you so much for your welcome and response. I really appreciate the help and support. As you say, no point in me panicking until I’ve got the information! Lol. I think I’m more fearful because I had cervical cancer 25 years ago, so a very lucky and happy survivor, but it was a bit touch and go for a while so this has brought back all the fears etc of those times. I’ll try to think of other things! Lol. :x:

oneloopylady
Quote from @Lirio345:
Good morning @oneloopylady and welcome to the forum. I am really sorry to hear about health - you certainly have a lot on you plate.

Your doctor is being thorough and there is no way of knowing what will be found. When you say a camera test I am assuming it will be a colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy. These tests can reveal all kinds of bowel problems - not just cancer.

This of course is the worst stage - waiting for tests and results, and all you can do is one day at a
time, keep busy if you can and don’t google - it will just panic you and so much of it is inaccurate or out of date.

Treatment of bowel Cancer is very individualised - often involves surgery and chemotherapy and no, a stoma is not always needed BUT - that is jumping ahead - there are many bowel conditions that can cause the symptoms you have.

Please stay in touch and take very good care, Kim

Thank you! I so appreciate the support and the time you’ve taken to respond and encourage me. Whatever it turns out to be, I’m very thankful that you are here for me until I get a proper diagnosis.
As I said above, I survived cancer once many years ago, so in the early hours of the morning, fear grips me and my only thoughts are ‘ I can’t be lucky enough to survive cancer again!’. I just have to do as you both say and try to relax and get on with life until we have a firm diagnosis. I’m hoping for a rare parasite that can’t be seen in tests that is cured by 5 days of antibiotics! Lol. :x:

Two Can Dan

Oneloopylady,
Hiya. Sorry to hear about everything going on. Sounds like you've been through the mill.
Try not to stress or feel doubtful that you won't be lucky enough to survive it again, if it turns out to be cancer. I'm getting over my third primary but there are others who have gone through more...so entirely possible. It can be a persistent little blighter.
As mentioned, it's such an anxious time waiting for news and it'll seem like you're the last to know, but they've gotta get their ducks in a row.
Much love. :x:

Gypsy

Good morning @oneloopylady . Your fears are so understandable with the cervical cancer history but listen, you got through that and beat it so you are stronger than you give yourself credit for, mentally and physically! Lets's keep hoping for good/ no more cancer news for you right now.:x::x::x::x::x:

ElaineG

Hello @oneloopylady - my goodness you have been through so much, it’s so unfair. As others have said DON’T Google, just use this forum. Wishing you all the best with the upcoming tests. Please keep in touch. Love Elaine :x::x:

oneloopylady

Thank you all, once again, for the wonderful support. So, today the GP phoned to say my tests showed that my ferritin levels are very low - she said mine are 5 and most would be 40?? I've never heard of ferritin levels but its an iron deficiency? Then she went on to say I'm not anaemic, so that confuses me! lol. She did say, however, that I am now more urgent to have the camera test to check for bowel cancer because this is a marker. Has anyone had a diagnosis like this? She is calling the hospital today to request an urgent appointment for the camera - normally they send you to see a consultant first but she wants me to get straight to the test..... OK, now I'm a leeetle bit scared! lol. :x:

Gypsy

Hugs @oneloopylady . No, I have not heard of this (but someone else is sure to have done) and you could post it in 'ask the nurses' section and will receive a knowledgeable answer there. However, I guess that you are going to be fast tracked for colonoscopy now in any case. Look, nothing much I can say right now other than that said above already. We will be with you on here come what may.
Thinking of you, love Gypsyxxxx

Lirio345

Good morning @oneloopylady, I do think you have a good GP there! I had very low ferritin levels two years ago (nearly three years after diagnosis) and I had two ferritin infusions as you cannot improve it with food or I believe tablets. Ferritin stores excess iron and make it available to your red blood cells. I hope you get answers soon as I know the waiting is agony. Take very good care, Kim :x::x:

oneloopylady

Thank you, Kim! I think she is an excellent GP and I do trust her. She did every test for absolutely everything so I’m confident she’s going down the right route. She has now arranged for me to see an oncologist so they can decide what steps to take. Hopefully I won’t have to wait too long!! :x:

Lirio345

Please stay in touch @oneloopylady and take very good care, Kim :x::x:

louise05

Hi there @oneloopylady It ssounds like your GP is on the case and it is good she is checking. Just to explain about the difference between anaemia and low ferritin (although the nurse may be better to ask!) I was told by my GP that ferritin is your iron stores, how much iron the body has stored basically, whereas anaemia is usually measured by Haemoglobin levels (i.e contained in the red blood cells I think!). So you can have normal Haemoglobin/red blood cell count, and low ferritin.... or normal ferritin and low Haemoglobin. My GP told me that low ferritin is quite normal and many women are affected. She put me on Active iron. Low ferritin can, on same occasions, point to some kind of internal blood loss, but this is not the most likely cause, so definitely don't worry and be sure that she is looking into things. Good luck!