After radiochemo

monzaman

Hi just need to ask I finished my treatment on the 25th of October and was scanned 6 weeks later mri/ct results were very good only bit left was a fuzzy image right on the resection was I’m to be scanned on the 23rd of January which makes that 12 weeks from treatment end

My MDT are airing on the side that the fuzzy bit is radiotherapy damage I’m just concerned about how long a wait it is to surgery from treatment end

My tumour is rectal and I’m to have Apr

Charlotte Nurse Advisor

Dear @monzaman,

Thank you for your post.

Can I just ask if you have had a post-treatment mir/ct at 6 weeks did the doctors explain why they are doing another scan on 23rd January?

Kindest regards,

Charlotte

Yes had both scans 6 weeks after treatment very good response to the treatment just a fuzzy. Image left on the resection line MDT airing on the side of scaring from radiotherapy re scan is confirm it’s scaring they never said hope this helps cheers Andy

Charlotte Nurse Advisor

Dear @monzaman,

OK. That sounds reasonable.

With regard to the time between completing chemoradiotherapy and undergoing surgery there is is still some debate about this.

General consensus is that an interval of 8 weeks or more is appropriate. Some studies suggest that an increased interval of more than 8 weeks can lead to an increase in response to the treatment i.e. the effect of the treatment continues and the tumour continues to shrink. Certainly it is not unusual for some patients to undergo surgery at 12 weeks post treatment.

What is important is that your consultant has as much information as possible (provided by the CT and MRI scans) prior to the operation so that they and you are fully prepared for the operation.

Have they suggested a date for surgery yet? Or is that dependant on your scans in a couple of weeks?

Kindest regards,

Charlotte

monzaman

Hi thanks for reply no date for surgery yet waiting for the results of the scan on the 23rd

Archived