What do you think of the forum?
Take part in our survey and let us know your views.

Stage 4 bowel cancer

Gillie

Chemotherapy or not after liver resection

Hi everyone. I had my second r0 liver resection 8 weeks ago. Last time, 18 months ago, I was given 3 rounds of Xelox after the resection. This time the oncologist has said that because the chemo didn’t work last time ( liver mets returning a year or so later) and the research saying that the mets are just as likely to return whether I have chemo or not, I will not be given chemo. He basically said it’s more a case of when, not if they return and to keep the chemotherapy in my arsenal for a later date. Of course I don’t want to have it if it’s not going to be of benefit but can’t help feeling that I’m just being left to wait for the liver mets to return, or should I just be grateful and get on with my life because at the moment as far as I know I’m cancer free! I now have lots of questions that just went out of my head when I had my appointment. I’m wondering if I should get a second opinion just to get it all straight in my head. Everyone around me thinks I should,but just going through the process of getting a second opinion feels like a mountain to climb. Would really appreciate any advice from you lovely people on this forum. :x::x:

stu

I have noticed a variety of approaches from oncologists . My mum never had it after her large resection. To be honest I think she would not have tolerated it at that juncture.
Her liver remains clear . They seemed to have removed micro disease . It’s been that way for eight years .
Take care ,
Stu

Clancy

@Gillie, hi I have had 2 liver resections and after each one, no chemo. I did ask my oncologist, and he said that I had had enough chemo. I suppose he was thinking about a re challenge later on if needed. :x::x:

charleyb

@Gillie my hubby had mop up after lung met, and then 16months later a liver met popped up, we too wanted chemo after but were advised not to......wait and see, in their words it may pop up again it may not, and like your Onc they said reserve your fire if and when needed. It is scary tho, feels like you are not covering all bases, but we do understand the reasonings and trust our team. I think if you are unsure and want another opinion, then definitely get one, always good to hear what another Onc says :x::x::x:

Baxter2

Hmmm, an interesting question @Gillie

I was on a chemo break to allow surgery. I had a liver resection in Jan 2017 then CRS/HIPEC in March 2017. By June, I had developed 4 tiny new liver mets and I started back on chemo (which was always the plan) Over time, the mets disappeared and my last 3 scans have been clear. I've been on chemo (Folfiri and Cetuximab) ever since of which I tolerate pretty well. My Oncologist feels that my disease will progress quite quickly if I stop chemo and I'm inclined to agree. Long term or continuous chemo seems to be a relatively new thing and I'm seeing positive results based on my own judgements.

I'd be inclined to seek a second opinion if I were you?

Please let us know how things go if you can?

Lots of love

Karen💚💜💙❤️💛

kas52

Is a good question.....I see that different options can be good foryou as well, to be honest I read somewhere somethimes is much better without.My husband had 4 cycles after resection but they treated as mop up chemo.God knows what next.All the best and I hope you will have good results. Big hugsxxxx

1234annie

@Gillie - it's a tricky one! I have recurrance in my pelvis. I've had 6 folfiri prior to surgery and the plan is to have 6 at the end!! I think this is too much and what do I do if I'm in this situation again? I don't know the answer to that one but it does worry me. :x:

Gillie

Thankyou everyone. Really helpful to hear others experiences. In the end my gp has referred me for a second opinion. Best wishes to you all :x:

greyhound gal

Gosh, I know that feeling of coming out of an appointment and thinking “I didn’t this and that!”. Definitely write down your questions beforehand when you go for your second opinion.
Best wishes, Wendy :x::x:

farahat

if Its R0 its mean no trace of cancer is left and all is clear of cancer i should wait and see i had liver resection in june 2016 i was offer chemo but i refuse and since then i am still clear if its gone come back in liver it will more likely with in 2 years so wait and hope

GD62

I would not bother as I had post resection of liver chemotherapy, surgeon left the decision to me and oncologist and he said he would not bother with it himself. good luck

Baxter2

Ahhh that's interesting @Gillie

Please let us know how you get on with the second opinion of you can?

Lots of love

Karen 💛💜💙❤️💚

Gillie

Hi. Just to say i had a second opinion last week at Addenbrookes. Saw a wonderful oncologist who, much to my relief, agreed with the plan.
Best wishes to you all :x:

kas52

Good for you , enjoy free chemo life😀 Hugsxxxx

Baxter2

Ahh, that's very reassuring @Gillie

Best wishes

Karen 💜💚💙❤️💛