Stage 4 bowel cancer

scampi

Help

Hi my husband has stage 4 metastatic colorectal cancer with mutated KRAS gene diagnosed late 2018, he’s 49 , unresectable in the liver, also spread to lining of his organs, he’s had oxaliplatin mdg and irinotecan mdg but still continues to progress, we’ve been offered lonsurf but prognosis is poor.
Does anyone know of anything that may be available out there, I can’t seem to find anything but we’re not giving up.
Thanks

Lirio345

Good morning @scampi and welcome to the forum. I am very sorry to hear about your husband’s situation.

Lonsurf is a very new treatment and I know some have responded well to it.

The targetted therapy drug that has helped some KRAS mutant people is Avastin. This is not funded by the NHS at the moment. Some folk are self funding but this is a political hot potato as the cost per cycle seems to vary from approximately £300 to £2000 depending on The Health Trust. If by any chance your husband has private health insurance it would be worth considering and discussing with his consultant.

It might also be worth joining the FB group ‘Living with Stage 4 Bowel Cancer’ and posing this question.

Hopefully some others will be along soon with some other suggestions.

Take very good care, Kim :x::x:

Baxter2

Good morning @scampi and welcome to the forum from me too!

I'd agree with Kim's suggestion above. I can sense your fears and love your determination to find an effective treatment for your husband!

Please keep us posted if you can?

Lots of love

Karen 💜💚💙❤️💛

scampi

Thank you xx

Quote from @Lirio345:
Good morning @scampi and welcome to the forum. I am very sorry to hear about your husband’s situation.

Lonsurf is a very new treatment and I know some have responded well to it.

The targetted therapy drug that has helped some KRAS mutant people is Avastin. This is not funded by the NHS at the moment. Some folk are self funding but this is a political hot potato as the cost per cycle seems to vary from approximately £300 to £2000 depending on The Health Trust. If by any chance your husband has private health insurance it would be worth considering and discussing with his consultant.

It might also be worth joining the FB group ‘Living with Stage 4 Bowel Cancer’ and posing this question.

Hopefully some others will be along soon with some other suggestions.

Take very good care, Kim

A Helpless Sister

The other thing to consider is clinical trials. Unfortunately, you do need to do some research into this. A good place to search is the UK Clinical Trials database or inquire from the big research hospitals such as UCLH, Royal Marsden, Christie, Basingstoke etc.

I’m sorry you’re going through such a difficult time. Sending you much strength and positive vibes for some positive news.

scampi

Thank you, we’ve just an appointment to go to Christie’s, but although they’re seeing us they don’t currently have any trials running my husband will be applicable for.
We’re going anyway to see if they know of any other centres as you suggested that may have trials he could be entered onto, its worth an ask.
Thank you for your kind words :x: