Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

You can find lots of useful information about bowel cancer treatment on our website. You can also get information and support from our Ask the nurse service.

angela

Cancer returned on bowel tissue join and para aortic lymph node,to start treatment or not??!!

Cancer returned on bowel tissue join and para aortic lymph node,to start treatment or not??!!
Hi all,am T3 colon cancer that has been operated on in 2018 given clear scan and 2018 but now it's back in joint tissue of bowel ,1cm,then in para aortic lymph nodes. I have been told that there are only 2 types of chemo available at all to me and that my team want to use them to maximum effect ie when they feel they are most needed.It was explained to me that it was like having a lawn with 2 bottles of weed killer,then tou had to decide when to use your only remaining 2 bottles of weed killer.At the moment they said it's like I only have 2 weeds so best to wait until there are more ?My thinking is that surely shouldn't cancer be nipped in the bud rather than let it spread ?I understand the analogy of the weeds but can't really get it with cancer because cancer kills weeds only damage a lawn and it can recover whereas cancer will take over if left alone,don't know what to do and second opinion ,I have been told would delay things,also why do some of us get PET scans and MRI scans ,i have never had either only ever been offered ct scans.I want to trust my team but am finding it hard ,it is my life after all ,not just something minor like an in growing toenail!! Any answers greatly welcomed as I am lost and scared !

Charlotte (Nurse Advisor)

Dear @angela,

I see that you have also sent this enquiry to the 'ask the nurse' email portal. I will respond to you question from there.
Kindest regards,
Charlotte

angela

Hi Charlotte I cannot find your reply on the ask the nurse portal,cheers,Angela :x:

Charlotte (Nurse Advisor)

Hi @angela,

Sorry you couldn't find this. Here is my reply to your first enquiry...

It is difficult for me to comment on your case specifically but it does sound as if your oncologist needs to explain further why they are not starting chemotherapy at this time? With regard to the type of scans, CT is a very good way of looking at recurrent disease however PET scans can be used to ensure there is no evidence of disease elsewhere.

My advice to you would be to discuss again with your team, firstly, is there a need for further scans to ensure that these are the only 2 points of recurrence and secondly the rationale behind holding off on chemotherapy at this time.

I am not suggesting that the course of action they have suggested is incorrect, we cannot offer that sort of advice here but it does sound as if you are unhappy with the treatment plan and this definitely needs clarifying. You can of course request a 2nd opinion and indeed many patients do. 2nd opinions can be very helpful even if only to reassure you that your treatment plan is acceptable.

Are you due to see your oncologist soon?

Kindest regards,
Charlotte

Quote from @angela:
Hi Charlotte I cannot find your reply on the ask the nurse portal,cheers,Angela

angela

Hi thanks for your reply, I have have had a second opinion and a Pet scan which has shown even more tumours so treatment starting in July, thanks, Angela.

Hayleyc89

Hi Angela I have just come across your post my husband has also been diagnosed with reoccurrence in bowel join and para aortic lymph nodes he is currently on immunotherapy and is stable just wondering how you are getting on :x::x: