General discussion

Shellyp

Lymph node or boil?

Have woke up today and i have a small boil like lump in my arm pit? Unsure if its a boil or start of a swollen lymph node? How do you tell the difference?

louise28

It's very hard not to worry but every little thing I find! If it's tender or pink it's more likely to be a boil or cyst but it's not always easy to tell. I had some swelling and it went after a couple of days so assumed it wasn't sinister....

Baxter2

Hi @Shellyp

If it's a boil, it will probably be raised, red, inflamed looking and painful. If it's none of these, it doesn't necessarily mean a lymph node as it could be a sebaceous cyst or something. It's so hard not to jump to the worst conclusion isn't it?

Please let us know how things go

Lots of love,

Karen 💛💚💜💙❤️

Shellyp

Thanks Ladies @Baxter2 @louise28 Ive rang Bupa nurse and she said to get in contact with NHS 111 and let them make the decision on whether it needs looked over today or not. Just off the phone and they have an advanced practitioner nurse has said it dosent sound like it needs looked at urgently today but they will put this on my notes and phone GP first thing in the morning to chase things up? It feels hard and sore when i touch it or press in? I am a worrier at the best of times so this is making me even more worried! :x::x:

Gypsy

Dear @Shellyp, I can't know for sure of course as not a medic but it honestly sounds like an infected thing to me. I once had a boil just like that in my armpit and it was just as you are describing. You will hopefully get it looked at tomorrow. ( I needed it lanced and some antibiotics and it soon cleared up). Love Gypsyxxxxxxx

Shellyp

@Gypsy I hope so, just so worrying when your not sure! Hoping when i see my GP tomorrow he can chase my case up to? :x:

angelj

Hi @Shellyp, my OH had something similar, it didn’t hurt and we were worried, saw GP and he squeezed it and stuff came out, said it was a blocked pore, phew. I hope it’s the same for you :x::x:

Shellyp

Wee update @Baxter2 @Gypsy @louise26 @angelj Had a video call with GP and she had a look at it and said it looked like a boil/skin infection and she is giving me an antibiotic cream for it. I have to keep an eye on it and if it changes to phone the surgery back.xx Thank you for your support and comments :x::x:

Gypsy

I truly thought it was @Shellyp! :x::x::x::x:

Lauren59

Glad you're getting it sorted @Shellyp. I tend to bathe anything like that with hot salt water to bring it to a head, don't know if that's the medical advice though 🤔

Shellyp

thanks @Lauren59 I am getting an antibiotic cream for it so fingers XD it helps :x:

Baxter2

Good news @Shellyp

:x::x::x:

angelj

@Shellyp sounds good, you take care :x::x:

Vince_UK

I have had quite a lot of issues around my wound since my operation. Firstly I developed a
stitch sinus which was lanced and took months to heal. Currently I have a boil next to the op scar which actually burst yesterday and I am on antibiotics. Saw my GP today. After the op our immune systems are very weak and we can expect, some of us, to have issues like this. My take on it is that it is probably a boil but I would still talk to a GP about it.

Shellyp

thank you @Vince_UK video chat with GP on Monday and it looks like a boil. Antibiotic cream for it.