General discussion

Ren

Fertility issues

Hi. My husband is on his last chemo treatment from stage 3 rectal cancer. He did 25 radiation&chemo pill tx, a partial colon removal surgery (which went well) but included a temporary ostomy bag and 4 months of chemo therapy.
We’ve been trying to have a second baby so his sperm was tested after his surgery and though he is able to get an erection and ejaculate, the sperm was no good. They say there’s a chance it will come back seeing as he is only 37 years old.
I’m just wondering if anyone has been in the same situation and how long it took for them to be able to conceive again?
Much appreciated!

Baxter2

Good morning @Ren and welcome to the forum. I hope you'll find us a friendly, supportive and knowledgable community.

It's good to hear that your husband has got through his surgery, chemo and radiotherapy and is hopefully doing well now. I'm sorry to read of the concerns around fertility and I wish you all the very best in achieving pregnancy. Unfortunately, I don't have the knowledge and experience you're looking for but I'm hopeful that someone else on the forum will and be able to help. I just wanted to welcome you and say hello!

Sending you both lots of good wishes and love,

Karen 💚💜💙❤️💛

charleyb

@Ren we were hoping for a 3rd baby, naturally preferably, but alas Charlie had his tested a year ago and his is too low to count, we are almost 3 years along now, so the chances are very very unlikely. He too has had radio and chemo. Sadly we were told its the radio that is the most damaging, there is more chance with chemo alone. There is the possibility of some regeneration, and in terms of time scales i`m not sure sorry. We were also told you should wait some time before trying after chemo as they don`t really understand the effects of chemo on a baby....so that is something i would chat to your team about. Really hoping time works for you both :x::x::x::x:

Ren

@Baxter2, thank you so much for the warm welcome and your nice thoughts! : ) All we can do is stay positive and hope for the best!

Ren

@charleyb, thanks for the response, sometimes it’s nice knowing that someone else went through the same thing you did! I’m sorry to hear about your fertility hardship too! So you guys tried for 3 years after your husband was cancer free? Did you ever consider donor sperm at all?
The oncologist said to wait 3 months after chemo to start trying so the count down is on! Donor sperm is something we’re considering but such a scary thought at the same time...not an easy decision!

charleyb
Quote from @Ren:
@charleyb, thanks for the response, sometimes it’s nice knowing that someone else went through the same thing you did! I’m sorry to hear about your fertility hardship too! So you guys tried for 3 years after your husband was cancer free? Did you ever consider donor sperm at all?
The oncologist said to wait 3 months after chemo to start trying so the count down is on! Donor sperm is something we’re considering but such a scary thought at the same time...not an easy decision!

So we have preserved fertility, we had time between the ileostomy and starting chemo to do it, but due to Charlie having a recurrence last year have not looked into the process, and to be honest we are both now over 40, and are blessed with two healthy boys. If it had happened naturally then great but it hasn`t. I wish you guys so much luck with the next steps :x::x::x:

Ren

I’m so sorry to hear about the recurrence, clearly it’s my biggest fear, I have a hard time even thinking about it! Best of luck to you and your family! Thanks again for your response.

Michaels Mum

My son had his sperm tested 18 months after 6 months chemo- no live sperm present. He tested again a year later and was near enough normal! He was due to marry this summer but due to Covod wedding postponed til next year so no proof but very positive. He is 27 now :x::x:

Ren

@Michaels Mum thanks for the message, it’s encouraging knowing that there is some hope!! Best of luck to your son and congratulations on the wedding to come, you must be over the moon for his new life adventure!

louise28

Sorry to hear about this @Ren. Was your partner offered the chance to bank sperm upon diagnosis? I wS offered chance to get my eggs frozen and wS told anyone in their thirties is given option for fertility preservation :x::x:

Ren

@louise28, yes it was offered but when he looked into it, they said it would take a few weeks for the process and he was starting radio/chemo shortly. In hindsight I should have made some phone calls and I’m sure we could have gone in ASAP but at the time I didn’t want to add extra stress on my husband so I didn’t. One of my biggest regrets right now. I think we were just hopeful that we would be able to conceive naturally again. We got pregnant naturally a few weeks after his diagnosis but I had a miscarriage. Trying to stay positive and hoping for a miracle 😉