Life with bowel cancer

cyclingjohnny

my refuge from cancer what's your's

hi guys I was informed last week that I have an MRI scan in a months time this always starts me thinking about whether cancer has returned, and getting out cycling seems to be the only way I can stop thinking about it, so I had a three hour ride out in to the countryside and through Preston marina and along the Carnforth to Preston canal, it was fantastic and never gave cancer a thought, took a few photo's if I can get them to upload, take care cheers john.xx

Baxter2

Fantastic @acrorat! There's no greater feeling is there! I'm just back from a swim in the sea too! Doesn't it have such a great effect and boost to your mental well-being!

Lots of love

Karen πŸ’™πŸ’›πŸ’œβ€οΈπŸ’š

acrorat

@Baxter2 hi Karen, I am not a great swimmer but I love to be in the sea. I know I won't be in there for the next 2 weeks due to neuropathy but I can wait for week 3. The only probs i had today was a cold tingling in the infusion and and wrist but it was worth it.

Now i know how comfortable swimming in a wetsuit is I guess we will go out more.

I am not good at righting myself when on my back if I have lost my balance and I panic and the wetsuit and shoes just made it harder but i will persevere.

I can see why you enjoy it so much. The sea was 7.5 degrees so warmer than it was on the beach itself

Baxter2

Sounds great @acrorat! You don't really have to be much of a swimmer but need s degree of confidence I guess! I suppose if you're careful to swim when there's not too much of a swell and not in windy conditions (now that may be impossible on an island!!) As long as you have someone with you and you feel confident you'd be able to get out too. The other day, I struggled a bit to get out as there was a high swell and the waves kept dragging me back. I would have crawled if I needed to but managed in the end! It taught me a little lesson though to be a little bit more careful in making decisions to go in when it clearly looked a bit wild! It was great fun mind you! 🀣🀣 7.5 is amazing! I swim in the Firth of Forth and the temp a couple of days ago was only 6.5. I thought the same as you.......warmer in than out! Haha!

Looking forward to seeing lots more photos!

Lots of love

Karen πŸ’›πŸ’œπŸ’šβ€οΈπŸ’™

acrorat

@Baxter2 or little bay doesn't suffer from rip tides as some of the other local ones do. We went ot and swam the first summer but I always remember my mum's advice to swim along the width of the beach snd not just out. I don't like water on my face so back stroke is my preferred swimming style which means I can rest lol.

Some days are windy but often not however with it being the last stop before Canada I have noticed that it is often wild in the sea days after the storms have passed.

We had a tourist swimming here a few years back who said it was colder in the Firth of Forth where he regularly swims.

I won't be able to get in again for wee while but can watch the wife and her daughter from the comfort of the warm car lol

Lucy118

@acrorat, good for you. Sounds like you felt invigorated afterwards. Too cold for me though! :x::x:

molly2me

@acrorat wow that’s tremendous to see, fantastic photos too, and here’s me thinking I’ll wait for summer before trying wild swimming! Any suggestions on where to buy a wet suit and what to look for anyone? πŸ‘β€οΈπŸ‘

Baxter2

I bet the views are far superior to ours that's for sure @acrorat! It sounds idyllic! I keep my head out of the water too as I'm inclined to get blocked ears so wear a wooly hat for warmth. I'll swim again Tuesday as I have chemo on wed and pump until Friday. By the weekend, I'll be keen to get back in!

Happy swimming!

Lots of love

Karen πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’›β€οΈπŸ’œ

acrorat

@molly2me the only advice I would give is wet shoes and an all season long sleeve, long leg wetsuit. We bought ours locally.

@Baxter2 a bright sunny day anywhere is uplifting. I had a latex swimming cap which was lovely and tight and covered my ears

acrorat

Just lovely reminding myself of the beauty of nature .... this rainbow ended at our hoosie.

acrorat

acrorat

justhope

Oh @acrorat I love your photos they are just stunning, beautiful nature adorned ...I want to live where you are , you must wake each day with a smile on your face when you look at what is all around you as you step out the door xxxx jealous :x::x:

cyclingjohnny

wonderful beautiful pictures @acrorat it's a stunning place where you live, I just love rainbow's take care cheers john. :x::x::x:

cyclingjohnny

@acrorat it look's like the rainbow went right in to your hoosie, cheers john, :x::x::x:

Lucy118

Beautiful photos @acrorat :x::x::x:

acrorat

@justhope it is beautiful here but you do have to cope with long winter nights. The summers are very light though and you don't see real darkness for several months lol. Occasional midges and winds. I don't like hot weather too much which is rather lucky as we don't get the draining heat of the summer as we did on the mainland. We have been here 3 and a half years and still catch ourselves saying "wow, we live here." I know we are lucky but it was a risk coming up with no guaranteed work at the time.

@cyclingjohnny of course it ended in our hoosie, my wife was in there and she is certainly my pot of gold. We get so many rainbows up here, lots of double ones too. I never realised until we came here that when younger a double rainbow the colours are in a reversed order.

@Lucy118 thank you.

cyclingjohnny

Hi @acrorat well yes if the wife was in the house that's exactly why the rainbow was going there, wishing you well take care cheers John :x::x:

cyclingjohnny

Hi @Baxter2 @acrorat there was a piece on wild swimming on This Morning, very interesting it was in the lake District take care cheers John :x::x:

Baxter2

@cyclingjohnny Ahh, really? I've been out walking down the beach with Poppy enjoying the lovely day! The sea looked very inviting! It was flat calm! I see lots on tv about it. It's grown massively in popularity last year!

Karen πŸ’›πŸ’œπŸ’šβ€οΈπŸ’™