Relatives and friends

Tiffany

Do something amazing.....

Hello Relatives and Friends.

I have been reading a few posts on here regarding patients having to have blood transfusions or needing platelets etc and I was hoping I might inspire some people to donate blood before Christmas.

I have just given blood this week - my 56th donation! I have been giving blood for many years and to be honest find it the easiest thing to do. Doesn't take more than one hour and potentially could save a life.

I have posted the link below and know how desperate the blood centres are for new donors especially before Christmas and within these unprecedented times.

So for those who are fit and healthy and want to do something amazing.....please think about going to donate blood.

Thank you x

www.blood.co.uk

acrorat

I was hoping to get to my 50th pint but was told that at I had cancer I was now excluded. It was one of the first things that really upset me after my diagnosis

Nick Rimmer

Same here @acrorat, @Tiffany , I donated 18 pints, then told I could no longer donate after my diagnosis. On a positive note my eldest son, when he hit 17 signed up and has donated twice!

Tiffany

@acrorat
Yes there are many people that are excluded and it's completely understandable that patients with cancer will no longer be able to donate. Sorry that you were upset :x::x:

@Nick Rimmer
Well done to your 17 year old. I've also encouraged my kids to donate and two out of my three have managed to successfully donate which makes me very happy. I really want mine to give back a bit in life and it's the one thing that costs nothing but is such a rewarding thing to do :x::x:

molly2me

@Tiffany thank you for the link, I will ask family and friends now too :x::x:

acrorat

@Tiffany it is a brilliant thing to do and so very necessary. I love that you now get a text to alert you to the fact that your blood has gone to a particular hospital

Baxter2

As the recipient of four units following my CRS/HIPEC op, I was eternally grateful to the four people who donated blood for me! My boys all donate. It's a very worthwhile activity!

Karen :x::x::x:

Gypsy

I was a blood donor for so many years (since my teens)but diagnosis of cancer put paid to that as they won't take it again- not ever! Not even from people who are cured and you can't donate organs either other than corneas. I was gutted when I could no longer be a blood donor- one of the things cancer took away from me.

cyclingjohnny

thanks @Gypsy you have just answered a question I was about to ask, so I can't donate anymore. :x::x:

Nick Rimmer

@Gypsy I didn't realise it applied to organ donation as well. I signed up for that a couple of years back. ☹️

Jane39

Thanks for highlighting @Tiffany
I needed blood post op as an emergency and I was extremely grateful to the donator.
Pre cancer I donated many times.
I'm off to remind my family and friends! :x::x::x:

momentbymonent

Thanks @Tiffany for a great reminder. My daughter had lots of blood transfusions throughout her leukemia treatment and I've always been so grateful for all those people who donated in draughty village halls and leisure centres up and down the country. I used to donate but sadly can't now given diagnosis. But it's always one of my answers to all the 'What can I do to help?' questions you get asked - donate blood and become and organ donor. :x::x:

Dan-888
Quote from @Gypsy:
... but diagnosis of cancer put paid to that as they won't take it again- not ever! Not even from people who are cured and you can't donate organs either other than corneas.

Oh no!!! Does that mean most of us on this forum won't be able to? I was going to try to donate again!

Tiffany

@Dan-888

Its my understanding that once you've had cancer you are no longer able to donate. Such a shame!

When I looked online earlier it surprised me that anyone with colitis, Crohns or Inflammatory Bowel Disease also can't give blood!

Dan-888

Thanks @Tiffany . More in the hope that I still can, rather than doubting all the good people here, I'll try to ask my local GP surgery. I like to feel useful ! :)

Siona

Interesting, in the USA, you can give blood after a cancer diagnosis. I used to give blood or plasma and sad I can't anymore.

https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/how-to-donate/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-alphabetical.html

Eligibility depends on the type of cancer and treatment history. If you had leukemia or lymphoma, including Hodgkin’s Disease and other cancers of the blood, you are not eligible to donate. Other types of cancer are acceptable if the cancer has been treated successfully and it has been more than 12 months since treatment was completed and there has been no cancer recurrence in this time. Lower risk in-situ cancers including squamous or basal cell cancers of the skin that have been completely removed do not require a 12-month waiting period.

Precancerous conditions of the uterine cervix do not disqualify you from donation if the abnormality has been treated successfully. You should discuss your particular situation with the health historian at the time of donation.

Dan-888

Thank you for looking up and posting that, @Siona !
I even rang the UK's NHS Blood and Organ Donor service on 0300 123 23 23 just now (Monday to Friday, 9am to 7pm) !

But it is a "No" even for bowel cancer patients, no matter how long ago the last treatment was!
But of course, anyone else can which would benefit a whole host of folks!
Go do it!
(more effective to register online than to call)

hill825

I booked an appointment a few weeks ago but can’t get one until jan. although they called my daughter they are always after her blood as O- she can go next week. I will just go in Jan as no drop ins at the minute. It is so easy and great to think you could help save a life by doing something so simple

Dan-888

Excellent, @hill825 ! I only wish I could contribute as well. Each in their own way, I guess. No matter how small.