Living well with bowel cancer

You can find lots of useful information about living with and beyond bowel cancer on our website.

Gypsy

What did you do today

There is an old thread on here with this title and it goes way back to the Beating Bowel Cancer Forum. I thought it might be good to put it back up, especially at this time of year and in these times- it could help a little, I don't know. See what you all think really.
I've taken advantage of a wet morning to make my Christmas Cake- now in oven as I write. It is the one day of the year when I can justify being the proud possessor of a nutmeg grater (inherited from my Mum in Law, mind you and would probably not have one otherwise)! I shall be cutting it into thirds and sending a portion each to my son and daughter and their families in an old fashioned Christmas box/hamper in which I'll also put home made jam and chutney and a hand turned wooden bowl (made by a friend) out of fallen wood from the Strath here and with local chocs in it. They can't come home so I hope it will all be a little piece of home.
My tradition when making my cake is to put an old record that I have. It is a recording from 1976 (that old!!) of the Bristol Cathedral's Special Choir's Christmas concert. I love traditional carols and the way they sang them back then. My Mum was a member of the choir and loved choral singing all her life and I was a young person back then, in the audience. It was quite magical. I swear when it comes to the final Hallelujah chorus, I can hear Mum's voice, hitting the high notes! In many ways, it is things like this that are the meaning of Christmas for me really. Just thought I'd share and if I don't burn the cake, I'll post a photo when its done!:x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x:

Gypsy

Perfect weather in the far north today so been out for a forest ride with a friend who has a big thoroughbred called Jazz. (At least one of them was looking at the camera)! Dolly did well to keep up!

Gypsy

Lucy118

That looks beautiful @Gypsy - horses and the weather! It was rainy and miserable in the south today! :x::x::x:

Gypsy

I fulfilled a long held ambition yesterday as I rode Dolly through Glen Loth in Sutherland. It is a high pass that goes from the coast south of Helmsdale through to Kildonan 18 miles inland in the Strath of Kildonan. The road is very narrow and rough and with grass growing in the middle so basically, hardly any traffic- it is not for the faint hearted and I wouldn't go unless in a 4 by 4! It climbs up quite steeply and then at the top and at the watershed, there are lovely views of the surrounding mountains. My husband dropped us off at the A9 end and then drove round to Kildonan and walked in to meet us from the other end. The Highland line from Helmsdale to Wick goes that way and does a huge sweep inland through the Flow country and probably the most scenic line in Scotland really although the journey takes ages so there are not many trains or passengers. However, just as we got down to Kildonan, we heard a train coming. I diverted up a bit of side track as you are right beside the line there. The train pulled up and the driver sounded the horn twice- nee naw- loudly! I thought, 'are you trying to spook my horse' as he must have seen me- the passengers certainly did! Anyway, Dolly was rattled but she was very good so proud of her. They are working on the level crossing there and have put in a new cattle grid and side gate before it. Whoever installed the gate obviously didn't check that it actually worked as we couldn't open it- the pull back sprung rod would not clear the hole in which it was sat. So my husband had to go and get the van and drive across to fetch us- all part of the experience, I think.

Gypsy

Gypsy

Gypsy

Gypsy

Stella 2020

Thank you @Gypsy showing us part of highland rarely seen.
Went to a firework show for the first time. It is great fun with 4 different companies doing it and the weather has been perfect for it.

Lucy118

Stunning scenery @Gypsy. Dolly is so good. I bet she enjoyed it too though. Iā€™m glad you had your husband to rescue you with the gate not working!
Glad you enjoyed the fireworks display @Stella 2020. I especially like your first photo :x::x::x:

Gypsy

I love the firework photos @Stella 2020 . It must have been spectacular to watch. :x::x:

Stella 2020

Hi @cyclingjohnny , it is held at Hatfield house. It is the firework championships . They have a few shows in different stately homes every summer. Yesterday was the last show of this year. You can drive in with you own place for a picnic etc. Quite fun and completely safe. :x::x:

Stella 2020

Went to Chelsea flower show today, great day with wonderful displays. Literally not a leaf out of place.

Chalet

@Stella 2020 They're beautiful. Love the middle one.
Cheryl :x:

Gypsy

They are beautiful. :x::x:

Richard Staff (Support and Information)

Hello everyone

Unfortunately there is a technical problem with the forum where long threads are putting too much strain on our server, which is then causing issues for the rest of the forum.

It means that we need to lock some threads, including this one, in order to ensure everything else runs smoothly.

If you're supporting each other with information and advice on particular topics, I would encourage you to start separate threads in the relevant areas of the forum focused on the support you need.

This will also hopefully help make discussions easier for everyone to find, search and join in with, as well as ensuring that we're able safely moderate them.

You can of course continue individual conversations with friends via our private message inboxes.

We're also going to be freezing any threads that have been inactive for more than two years to help ease pressure on the server. This will also help make it clear that those threads are historical and may contain out of date information.

Thank you for your understanding with this and hopefully these small changes will make a big difference to keeping things running smoothly for everyone.