Research & involvement

Research Opportunities (Bowel Cancer UK)

Study into the immune function of long-term cancer survivors

Continuum Life Sciences in partnership with University of Surrey are looking for volunteers who have survived agressive, difficult to treat cancers to take part in their Long-Term Survivor of Cancer Study.

They are investigating immune function in the hope of understanding how the immune system of long-term cancer survivors differs from that of other patients living with cancer, with the aim of developing better immunotherapy treatments.

Please see the advert below for more details, and if you're interested please get in touch on 0800 1 44 84 88 or cltsstudy@continuumlifesciences.com to find out more.

At the moment the study is only looking for people who are 5+ years since treatment (or approaching 5 years) and are NED (No Evidence of Disease) but they hope to expand to other people at a later date.

www.continuumlifesciences.com/long-term-survivor-study/

barbaram

Continuum Life Sciences Research Study for St IV cancer LONG TERM SURVIVORS 5+ years. Looking for volunteers to take part in this research.

Here are the details of the research and who to contact:
www.continuumlifesciences.com/long-term-survivor-study/
I couldn’t wait to join the study. I am a long-term bowelcancer survivor, initially diagnosed in 2006 with the prognosis of three months. It was Bowelcancer Uk who helped me to gain information of new medicine that I campaigned for and that helped me to survive. If anyone would like further information, I am happy to give support to this. The reason why people like me have survived can help others to do the same and this is what the research sets out to do: to look at why we have survived.
If you are interested please look on their website but I have pasted above and please feel free to contact me if you wish. Big hugs, Barbara :x:

Barbara

@Lirio345 I think you’ve tagged the wrong barbara again! But I am part of continuum life sciences project and I am under active treatment.

Lirio345

Oh my goodness, I am losing it @Barbara! I am going to delete my comment above though as I don’t think I am helping. I will check with the office on Monday :x:

Lirio345

Hi @barbaram, just so you know that this brilliant research project has been shared on here under the topic ‘Research and Involvement’. Thank you for sharing again though, Kim

barbaram

Thank you @Lirio345 . Thank you also @Babara Indeed we are 2 Barbaras, both in this wonderful research. And thank you for alerting me to the ‘Research and Involvement’ section. I have been looking for the project on the BCUK site. Dr James Hull made a fantastic presentation on the Inspire2Live World Hub of which we are also members.

Richard Staff (Support and Information)

Hello everyone, I spoke with Continuum Life Sciences this morning just to clarify eligibility for this project. They had previously spoken with people who have received treatment in the past 5 years and they had a really good number of people respond.

They will continue to stay in contact with those people, however right now they really want to focus on finding new participants who are 5+ years post treatment and NED (No Evidence of Disease), or are getting close to 5 years and would therefore be eligible later in the year.

This will just help to focus their resources whilst the project grows, but there will then be the possibility of expanding the criteria later on.

I hope that clears things up, but do let me know if there's any questions.

Gypsy

I have contacted them and am awaiting a call back. Cathx

1234annie

Continuum life science

Hi guys,
Hope you are all ok. I just wondered if anyone else contacted these people about their research looking for cancer survivors? I had a chat with them today, sounds very interesting, they take blood and stool samples. Pretty sure I saw it on this forum.

Annie :x:

Lirio345

Hi @1234annie,

Yes I have registered with them (Continuum Life Sciences), and you did see this on the forum.

We are advising anyone interested to make direct contact with Continuum as criteria for involvement are possibly broader than the website suggests.

Take care, Kim :x::x:

1234annie

Yes I think it is very broard Kim @Lirio345 The letter says they take blood and poop samples which is very exciting!! I'd love to know what going on inside my guts 😀. Hope you are well. :x:

Lirio345

Thanks @1234annie, I am good and hoping you are the same. I have sent them all of the information but think there will be a delay now until anything happens! Take care, Kim :x::x:

(PS, I will merge this with other post so everything is together)

1234annie
Quote from @Lirio345:
Thanks @1234annie, I am good and hoping you are the same. I have sent them all of the information but think there will be a delay now until anything happens! Take care, Kim :x::x:

(PS, I will merge this with other post so everything is together)

Oh that's good, yes I'm ok (I think)
I have to send them everything. She said she will call me in June and they will arrange bloods etc. :x:

strongsami

This is so interesting! I would totally participate if I was in the UK! I will be watching for updates :) :x::x::x:

Lirio345

Hi @stronsami, I would make contact with them direct as the Director of nursing told me that they did have some international participants! Kim :x::x:

Gypsy

I've also signed up and am 'on their books' and have just obtained the relevant info for them from my GP practice. I will scan and send it all off tomorrow.
(Provoked a lot of thoughts in me as I was one of those who very much didn't really want to know anything and for the sake of my mental health, I eventually threw away (and this is well in the past now) everything and anything that I ever received in the form of hospital letters. I thought I would be just fine looking at these clinical letters (which were not ones that I ever received) but you know, I wasn't, not totally anyway. Seeing it all written down still makes my blood run cold and I suppose that is vey much tied up with the mental breakdown I had). I so hope though that this study can help to provide some insights and answers). Cath

Lirio345

@Gypsy

Cath, I can totally relate to those feelings. I experienced something similar although my reading through all of my folders didn’t tigger the same intensity of feelings as they did in you. I did have counselling for about a year when my recurrence, but thank you for being so upfront about your mental breakdown, - I am sure it helps others to know it ok to talk about emotional and mental health, particularly in our context.

Take very good care, Kim :x::x::x:

1234annie
Quote from @Gypsy:
I've also signed up and am 'on their books' and have just obtained the relevant info for them from my GP practice. I will scan and send it all off tomorrow.
(Provoked a lot of thoughts in me as I was one of those who very much didn't really want to know anything and for the sake of my mental health, I eventually threw away (and this is well in the past now) everything and anything that I ever received in the form of hospital letters. I thought I would be just fine looking at these clinical letters (which were not ones that I ever received) but you know, I wasn't, not totally anyway. Seeing it all written down still makes my blood run cold and I suppose that is vey much tied up with the mental breakdown I had). I so hope though that this study can help to provide some insights and answers). Cath

I must admit when I saw the list of what that wanted to know my heart sank. It's a big reminder of all we've been though but I suppose we need to do it to help the future of cancer treatment. :x: